Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Smoking Cannabis While Pregnant

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by root2vest, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I know there is tons of information on this topic, believe me, my wife and I have been doing a lot or researching,...:eek:

The point of my thread is my wife just wanted me to post in this forum to get opinions..:eek:

So are you ok with women smoking small amounts of cannabis while pregnant or not OK with it? :confused_2:

Opinions or thoughts..

2. I've never read any studies about cannabis and pregnancy. I would have thought that a little bit here and there can't hurt though. However, isn't it better to be on the safe side and quit or severely limit all drug use during pregnancy anyway?

3. I don't suggest it. At all. So I think its bad.

4. Not bad compared to other substances while pregnant. BUT taking any drugs while pregnant, in my opinion is disrespectful to life in general. I vaguely remember reading something where they correlated ADD and smoking Cannabis while pregnant, although ADD is kind of an ambiguous disorder. It isn't hard to stop for 9 months. And if the lady has to abstain it's only fair if the man does too...

5. #6 psycheorigami, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
    It cant be good at all, adding chemicals to the blood stream, taking away oxygen from the baby and feeding it weedsmoke, its selfish to endulge while you add variables for complications

6. Dont smoke it:(. If you are in a legal state, you can actually talk to your Dr about it! You can pull vague inquiries, right?:cool:.... But really cannabutter and topicals, what harm are they?:confused_2: Im sure pregnant potheads are more common than we think:laughing:. If you cant live without getting stoned, then maybe you have a lot more to consider:confused:.... If your using medicinally then you really should take it up with your Dr.:ey: Who knows he may recommend a cupful of pharmaceuticals for your wife and baby instead.:rolleyes: Either way, make the smartest, safest choices, that work best for you and yours.:)

I think it will be hard for folks to give you honest unbiased opions on this:hide:

7. That's a tough question. Obviously smoking it/vaping it are awful choices. But what if you are a woman who takes almost daily doses of Canna-oil capsules? I think that would be a bit much for the baby.

In the early cellular development, and before the 3rd trimester, I would have to assume knowing what I do know about biology and the development of a fetus, and the development of brain function - that even edibles may be harmful in that it may condition the underdeveloped brain in ways that research has not touched on yet.

I strongly believe against the use of drugs, including Nicotine, anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, stimulants, etc etc, event cannabis in a body of which has a brain that is not completely developed.

Your brain DOES NOT fully develop until you are in your mid twenties. Your frontal lobes DO NOT fully form until then. Do some research yourself on this subject I do not want to explain anymore than I am.

A fetus acts essentially like a symbiotic parasite on the mother/host body. Anything you ingest or smoke, eventually goes into that fetus and makes its way through that unborn child's circulatory and brain system. Your blood is your baby's blood, essentually.

It's not that Cig smoking is better or worse than pot smoking while pregnant. It is that they will have different effects (researched and confirmed or not) as they are different drugs.

8. My take on it is this - why take a chance with the most important and precious thing in your life.

Take this from a father of five, and thumbs up to you both for seeking advice on this. :hello:

9. We've had this topic quite a few times already - my opinion has been made clear so I'll not repeat it.

Suffice to say this - keep the discourse here civil. Name calling or disrespect will not be tolerated in this thread.

Respect others opinions that differ from yours.

10. My wife took a hit or maybe 2 about once a month on average while pregnant with our son probably. Not sure what you mean specifically by small amounts but anything near as limited as that PERSONALLY I would have no problem with.

I've seen daily tokers, cig smokers while pregnant. Makes me glad she didn't but meh, it's your life live it as you want

11. Studies say one thing experience says another... I know studies suggest that it can be potentially harmful to certain parts of the baby.. But my mom smoked when pregnant with her kids and a lot of friends have smoked marijuana regularly while pregnant and I haven't known anybody who had birth complications.

So if a girl were pregnant with my child and wanted to get high.. I wouldn't mind but I would want them to keep it from being a regular habit. I voted no it's not bad... but it really depends on how you do it and how regularly you do it.

12. Cannabis use while pregnant results in lower infant fatality rates.

13. #14 TooLegit2Quit, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
    Honestly I don't think women should smoke anything while pregnant and should try to avoid it completely if possible.
    But if you use it for health problems, then do what you gotta do.

14. From my studies it says it could slow the development of the frontal lobe of the child, not many other health risks. I would suggest not doing it though, if your OB suspects you are smoking they will start testing you when they test your urine at your appts and get CPS involved. Not worth it IMO.

15. I saw a pregnant lady smoking cig/ taking bongloads.

I wanted to smack her

16. I don't think pregnant women should smoke (anything, if they can avoid it), have you looked into juicing?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y02xE5vONkQ]Making Cannabis Juice with Matt Rize - YouTube[/ame]

Cannabis Reduces Infant Mortality - Salem-News.Com

17. IMO pregnant women should avoid drugs all together if possible. Your blood=the babies blood so if your blood is filled with thc and cannabinoids you're effectively getting the unborn baby stoned as well. It might not be good for the brain development of the baby. Honestly there haven't been enough studies on this so I'd say to avoid it in general.

18. And it might be beneficial, like cannabis is with every other bodily function.

19. As in ALL the other threads on this topic, the ignorant MALE opinion is predominant. Sad really.

Women have been using cannabis for THOUSANDS of years to assist in nausea and labor pains. There is not one shred of scientific evidence to support that MJ is harmful to the infant. Anecdotal evidence even suggest that cannabis use by pregnant women is BENEFICIAL to the fetus, and every kid that I've known who's mother use MJ while pregnant is the smartest most well adjusted kid of their peers.

Fellas, before you come up with an opinion do the research. That's what I was taught in Journalism class, opinions are based on FACTS. Otherwise they're just that, your opinion, which is like an asshole, everyone has one and they're all stinky.

Finally, it's the WOMAN'S CHOICE. Just like you boys don't have the final say on abortion, you don't have a say on pregnancy. You'll never be pregnant, you have no idea what changes go on in a woman's body, and therefore your holier-than-thou attitudes are meaningless.

There's a LOT of substances that you shouldn't put in your body when pregnant. Hell I bet you didn't know that there are a bunch of nail polishes that contain carcinogens that have been PROVEN to cause birth defects, yet you probably would say "Oh nail polish, that's fine" if you didn't know that. Surface appearances are just that, you have to delve deeper under the surface boys.

Shit, most of you who are saying don't use during pregnancy, I wonder how many of you have actually err...how to put it delicately, oh I don't care...ever even had sex, let alone gotten someone pregnant. Sure some of you have, maybe one or two of you are parents.

BUT until you are, your opinions on this matter are moot.