Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

New York State Medical Marijuana Bill

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by RoninNYC, May 5, 2009.

1. I'm hoping to gather some support for a medical marijuana bill in NY State A07542 (Bills). If not, we have to wait at least another year, so please make this count!!! This bill has passed in the Assembly for a while, so while it is always useful to call your local assemblymen and urge their support of the bill, more important is your state senator (not to be confused with federal senate). This is the first time the bill will be proposed to a democratic majority state senate so it is crucial that we make it count this time, because it may not be proposed again when the democrats have such control over the state legislature.

The entire thing should take less time that it took you to read that paragraph, here's what you can do:

Look up who your state senator and assemblyman are:
    Senate:
    http://www.senate.state.ny.us/sdlook...earch?OpenForm

Assembly:
    New York State Assembly - Members

Once you have that, simply make the calls and say something along the lines of "Hi, I'm a constituent of _______________ and I'm calling to urge the passing of the Medical Marijuana Bill A07542."

Seriously, that's it! The entire process takes about 2 minutes, so please help us all out if you live in New York State, and urge any of your friends to do the same!

2. I'll be moving to NY for college, I hope this passes!!!

3. Also
    download the petition below,
    print as many copies out and
    gather signatures to send to patterson.

Lets make this happen NY!

Attached Files:

4. thanks for the replies guys! get as many calls made as you can. I think it's also probably pretty effective to have a bunch of people in one district call, so as many local friends as you can.

5. just wanted to bump this, sorry if that's not allowed

6. I did my part! I really hope this passes. Any news on it?

7. It's been referred to Codes, which as far as I understand is the committee that handles zoning, violations etc. It's not on their agenda for tomorrow, and I'm not sure when they meet again. I will be checking on this frequently, and will keep this thread updated though.

8. Well I'll call tomorrow after work because its 11pm

9. ya'll be sure to print out multiple sheets of that Paterson petition i uploaded a few posts up.
    Get that petition signed by as many people in favor of legalization and send it in.

all it takes is some of your time and dedication for the issue.

10. when does the legislative calendar close...? cause I am fairly certain that if the legislation doesn't pass by the close of the calendar, it has to be reintroduced in the assembly before it gets to be considered by the senate again. If the calendar is a july to june calendar, then supporters have only a few weeks. :smoking:

11. Any news on this?

I contacted my reps and heard from one the other ignored me. The one said he will only vote yes if you can only get it from pharmacys like narcotics, so I'm assuming he'll vote no this time too. :mad:

They make me so mad! I e-mailed Sen Duane about pressuring my local guy.

Everyone from NY who is reading this please write/call/e-mail your reps ASAP!

12. I'm curious if there's any news, too. Didn't even realize a bill like this was proposed--if there's still a shot I'll definitely hit Spano up. I think on the bill it said he was a cosponsor. Can anyone explain what MLTSPNSR stands for on the bill? I saw that, saw a large list of names after it, but still am not sure what it is. :p

Also, it looks like the bill only covers "patients who suffer from HIV/AIDS, cancer,
    epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, and other life-threatening or
    debilitating conditions", but I'm not sure if that is exclusive to anything else.

I have been suffering from SAD (social anxiety disorder) and depression since I was about 10-11 (I'm 20 now) and would be a little disappointed if those would not be deemed acceptable for treatment with marijuana. I smoke daily not only for recreational reasons, but just as much if not more because it helps with my conditions.

I hope this passes, the bill looks like it has a good deal of support.

13. I'm excited as fuck. Even if it's only for life threatening conditions, one step at a time. It might be HIV today, but in 5 years it could be total legalization.

14. Under this bill you would be able to use medical marijuana, depression would count as a debilitating issue, especially if it's well documented in your medical history.

As for an update: Great news today, it passed the Health committee in the state senate. This doesn't mean we are out of the woods yet, as there are still a few more committees (Codes I believe and maybe some more, not sure entirely it's hard to get clear answers) to approve it as well as the necessary 32 votes on the floor, but it's a big hurdle.

Keep calling, keep the pressure on your senators! Be a pain in the ass, if you wont they will!

15. Sounds great! Spano, my assembly rep, is a cosponsor of the bill, but I think I'll give him a call tomorrow anyways just to see what he has to say about it. I'll let you know if I get anything interesting :)

If I could be prescribed marijuana to deal with my shit, I would be so happy. I wonder if my parents would keep paying for my health insurance...hmm

16. Man, I'm hoping! I've e-mailed these guys three times each in the last three months. Plus I've e-mailed Paterson, Cuomo, Schumer and Gillibrand and Obama even though they really don't have much to do with it, I thought putting the bug in their ears may help somewhere.

I really need this to pass. All my medicaitons have stopped working. My pain dr said I'm about out of options. My rheumatologist says the same, or says to keep trying all this crap that is making me horribly sick. I don't know what to do any more?

17. Medical marijuana bill moves forward in Senate

May 26 2009

The Senate Health Committee approved legislation today that would legalize marijuana for medical use. But the bill still has to go through the Senate Codes Committee before getting to the floor for a vote. If passed, seriously ill patients would be able to have up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana and 12 mature plants. It has been used to relieve nausea, increase appetite, reduce muscle spasms and reduce chronic pain in patients with debilitating illnesses.

This is the first year the legislation has a chance of passing the Assembly and Senate. The Assembly has passed bills before, but this is the first time identical bills have the support of the political party in control in both houses. Democrats have long controlled the Assembly, but the last time Democrats were in charge of the Senate before this year was 1965.

Senate Health Committee Chairman Thomas Duane, D-Manhattan, said the committee received a memorandum in support of the legislation from the Medical Society of the State of New York. It has received memos in opposition from the state Conservative Party, the Drug-Free Schools Coalition in New York and the New York Society of Addiction Medicine.

The medical marijuana legislation in the Assembly was reported by the Health Committee and now sits in the Codes Committee. It is not on the latter committee’s meeting agenda for tomorrow.

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2009/05/26/medical-marijuana-bill-moves-forward-in-senate/#comments

18. How do we find out who's on the codes committee?

19. Wow it sounds like we really have a chance here, keep putting pressure on those representatives.