Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

insurance notification

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Masterpurp, Oct 30, 2008.

1. if i apply and receive a medical mj card will my insurance be notified? im assuming yes but if any one can tell me that would rock.

2. Nope, health insurance has nothing to do with a medical marijuana recommendation. There isn't a single major health insurance carrier in the nation that would provide insurance coverage for Medical Marijuana.

I used to work in the health-care industry. They won't touch MMJ with a 10 meter cattle prod.

3. so say if im covered on my pops insurance that wont show up that i receive mmj?

4. Thats what the other guy said, just be sure your parents don't have access to your medical records, that has nothing to do with insurance.

5. Nope, because once again, health insurance has nothing to do with Medical Marijuana. it's not covered, so there's no reason for them to know. When you go get a MMJ recommendaton they don't even ask about insurance. The only way they'd know is if you told them.

BESIDES that fact that HIPPA covers your privacy anyway. Unless you're under 18, under the HIPPA laws NO medical organization can release any information about your medical records without your consent.

6. really thats awesome thanks for the help everyone. if you dont mind me asking what med company did you work for? and im over 18 so i should be in the clear.

7. Once you gain access to MMJ, the money comes straight from your pocket. As stated, health insurance has NOTHING and WANTS nothing to do with medical marijuana.

8. what about the appointment to the doctor isnt that sent to the insurance company that you went to a doctor?

9. Nope, if there is a recommending doctor that's going to take insurance I haven't heard about it. There are a lot of doctors now that don't take insurance at all, or if they do only take PPOs. But no, the recommending doctor will not contact your insurance company.

I used to work for a health insurance brokerage, we were the middle man so to speak - we brokered insurance policies for employers. I spent my days enrolling and terminating employees off of insurance and dealing with doctors and the carriers (Blue Cross, Health Net, etc) and getting bills paid. Very lucrative, also very stressful and one of the most obnoxious jobs I've ever had.

10. wow thats really interesting to learn thanks again. so really the only way any one will know is if i tell someone.hu this is promising do you know any legit recommendation sites that can help me get an appointment?

11. #11 rickdawg, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2008
    I read somewhere that Norml.org is collaborating with an insurance provider to provide Medical MJ insurance for patients that really need it. I'll post a link when I find it.

In regards to the OP's concern, your MJ recommendation given by a MMJ facility should not be forwarded to your current insurance company. The information should be confidential.

12. ASA (Americans for Safe Access) should have a listing of doctors or try Medicann.

Remember though, San Diego is very tough on MMJ, and it's not like it is in L.A. or the Bay Area. You'll still get hassled by the cops, and there are very few clubs in your area.

13. Go to CANORML's site and their list of cannabis-friendly doctors. The fee for the appointment you set up with them will come straight out of your pocket (in my case, it was $150).