Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana for Colds!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Psychopathic, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Well, I've been sick for the past week or so, and i had a bit of bud and i smoked it. Lets say this in the easiest way i know possible ok, smoking it hurt my lungs quite bad, but after i was high i didnt caugh didnt sneeze didnt feel anything not only was i high and enjoying it, but i was not sick for almost 3 hours it seriously works for colds!

Psychopathic. :D j4l!

2. Well from my experience it won't cure bronchittis LOL but it does help with upset stomachs and migraines :)

3. At Last! A cure for the common cold!

Maybe that's why I don't get them.

-mu

4. well, marijuana is an expectorant, so in that sense it could have legitimate efficacy at treating colds beyond its pain relieving/intoxicating qualities.

Though, u should really vaporize it to get the best effects when you have a lung ailment.

if you have never heard how to make one before:
    you can make a cheap vaporizer out of a light bulb or glass cigar tube (el producto tubes work well), a 20 bottle cap, and 2 straws or small metal tubing.

you take the cap off of a 20 oz bottle, poke two holes in it and put two straws or metal tubes through the lid into the glass apparatus (one is for sucking, the other lets air into the glass piece). Make sure this the connections are fairly air tight.

place a small amount of ground herb into the glass and heat slowly from underneath with a flame. I find it works best if you don't let the flame touch the glass. you have to be careful to vaporize the material without burning it. also if using plastic straws do not place them deep enough so that they will recieve heat from the flame.

of course if your sick u may not wanna do all that, and a non-ghetto vaporizer would probably be more effective

you could also eat it, but you wont get as much of an expectorant effect,

5. It really depends on the cold and the person. In my experiance marijuana usually doesn't help me with a common code, especially if im already coughing a lot and have a sore throat. It helps with some things though like headaches and or stomach aches.

6. It helps me get over my colds, firstly like you said, while I'm high I dont feel sick at all, but mostly because I get the best nights sleep if I toke the night before. Last time I was sick I went out, blazed, then came back to my room and slept for 14 hours, and really good deep sleep is the best cure for a cold. So in a roundabout way, yes, it helps colds.

7. vap that shit son

or cook it, high would last longer too

8. i had a cold last year, i was coughing all the time, when i smoked a few bowles i stopped coughing and felt a lot better

9. haha i havnt been sick or anyhtinggg since... 2nd gradeee haha, so quite a bit of time, *knock on wood* haha

10. And they say pot lowers your immunity system. For me it works for migraines (why I plan on getting a card) but when I had a stuffed up nose since I was stoned it felt like I was drowning.

11. Headaches I agree with, works wonders.. for colds, hit and miss. Usually im feeling really weird allready, a wierd head high from the cold, I mean in a bad way and mixing the cannabis just makes me feel really wierd..

Ive used the volcano when I did try this and it was slightly harsh still but not nearly as bad as smoke.

12. I've had a cold since Thursday night. I've been taking dayquil/nyquil day and night (respectively) and also smoking at least once a day. I've tried to cut back on the smoking whilst the cold is in effect since my throat was sore at first. I'm now on the 4th day of having this cold/taking medicine. My throat no longer hurts but I'm now suffering from major head congestion/runny nose. From this little experience I've deduced that smoking won't help my cold symptoms, but won't make them worse either.

A negative effect of smoking while having a cold is the increased appetite. While I normally enjoy stuffing my face full of random food stuffs whilst high, over-eating isn't the best thing to do while you're body is trying to fight a disease. Especially when the majority of the food stuffs are loaded with saturated fats, salt and sugar.

13. being a daily smoker, i find that marijuana most definitely helps when i'm sick.

i switch to the volcano almost exclusively when i have a cold, and while i'm vaping i will cough up all kinds of phlegm, and it totally clears my throat.

when i'm finished, there is much less coughing than before due to its expectorant properties (or maybe it was just tickling my throat :p), and i don't have the dull headache or any sinus associated pains.

14. smoking weed when i have the cold helps me forget about a sorethroat or stuffy nose and shit like that, but i think it keeps you sick longer tho cuz i was smoking everyday i was sick and i ended up with the flu for like 2+ weeks

15. I have bronchitis atm, and haven't been able to smoke for about a week. I made some firecrackers, but I just love the act of smoking, so I couldn't help it. My cough finally got better today, real phlemmy still, but decided to smoke anyways. Had a bowl about 15 minutes ago, and now I'm finally starting to feel all the phlem start to get coughed up. My breathing is becoming a little better too. I was real sceptical about cannabis as an expectorant, but I guess its true. :hello:

16. weed lowers my immune system terribly. i smoke 7 grams a day and im sick all the time, like right now.

17. yes i too have a cold. i smoked 3 out of the 4 days i've been sick, and i've found that weed works better than cough medicine, let alone the fact that cough medicine makes me feel like shit and weed makes me feel great.

18. ugh i have a cold right now. it sucks. I have some bud left. like about .4g but i dont feel like getting high right now.

and last night i ping ponged a .8 of white widow in a blunt. the smoke was soo smooth and milky

19. i just smoked some left over roaches. and i have a cold.

20. I personally think marijuana is a great decongestant and expectorant. Whenever I am stuffed up and smoke my nose will run like crazy and later will be really cleared out. I had chronic bronchitis, to the point where I cracked two ribs from coughing (I've never seen anyone cough as hard as I did) and I smoked everyday, at least one joint. When I was high it got rid of my headache, cleared my sinuses, and allowed me to cough up a lot of phlem when I wanted but also it helped suppress my coughing. I was taking a whole bottle of codeine cough syrup a day to no effect, only pot stopped the cough and allowed it to be more productive. However the smoke can be harsh so either roll a joint with a tip which is a lot smoother than a pipe or put in a cigarette with a filter. Also marijuana is the only thing which gets rid of my migranes. A few puffs and I'm good, I don't even need to feel high for the pain killing effects to kick in. Pot works better for me headache wise than any opiate i've tried so far including oxy. What doesn't marijuana do?