Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can Marijuana help alcoholics?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by hashbrowns742, Feb 5, 2011.

1. My cousin's friend is 13. I noticed she was quite depressed, so I started talking to her a bit. Her Mum drinks most days, and they end up getting into fights. When she was about 9 or 10, her Mum attempted suicide, right infront of her.
    Whe's at uni at the moment and she does volentary work at the citizens advice buero at the moment.
    The 13 year old is very against use of marijuana (we're in London). Her parents are divorced, and have custody of her at different times. Quite a sticky situation.
    I really want to help her, by offering her Mum some cannabis to try and help ween her off of alcohol.
    The 13 year old is always talking about how she'd much rather be dead, I know what she's going through, I attempted suicde twice at 12, and I suffer with depression, insomnia, OCD amongst other things.
    Can cannabis help her Mum? Could her Mum keep it a secret?
    Thanks alot everybody...this is really important to me. Thank you again

2. Yes switching from alcohol to pot, is simple for the most part, for some people. Some people might not be able to do it. But it's worth a shot. Offer her mom some pot, and tell her to try it, maybe she'll like it and ween on the alco... :smoke:

3. well,here in califorina you can get a medical marijuana card for alcoholism,so yes,it can.Take me for example,I used to be a alcoholic for awhile,then switch over to just weed only,best decision i've ever made :smoke:

4. Yeah see here is the logic behind it and I hope others agree with me. I know what you're going through with the alcoholism in your family. I for one, have steered clear of that kind of activity. Yes, I still might drink once on the weekends but that's enough for me. I smoke pot because it's not self-destructive. Drinking alcohol to excess, like all day or everyday, or both, is very self-destructive. Even just drinking on the weekends for some people it's extremely self-destructive. (**That's the logic**) Some say that marijuana and alcohol are in the same classification, depressant, but they aren't. Marijuana is a psychoactive, psychedelic, and yes in some cases a depressant. But alcohol is one of the worst depressants there is. Alcohol is legitimately the poison of the world because of how addictive it is. Once you start, it can get quite hard to stop. Not the case with marijuana.

So to answer your question, yes please try to give her some green. In all honesty, you need to put together a really good "speech". Tell her this is an unconventional medicine that has worked better than a lot of conventional avenues.

Peace bruddah, I hope all turns out well for you

PS: I know a bunch of people from London!

5. In some cases it could help. I am an alcoholic, and a substance abuser. The weed is just another substance in its place, but it has helped me drink far less frequently. Again that is just substitution. The only way for an alcoholic to quit drinking is the desire to quit. As alcoholics we admit that we are powerless over alcohol and that our lives have become unmanageable. As an above poster stated that he used to be an alcoholic, i dont wanna knock anybody or especially someones alcohol problem, but there is no such thing and someone who used to be an alcoholic, you are always an alcoholic, there is only the recovering alcoholic. On the occasions i do drink there is still the more than likely outcome that i will not be able to control it and maybe crash another car, hurt another person, destroy my life a little more. The twelve steps and meetings with a support group of likeminded persons is the best way to go. Try to maybe give her some information on AA or meeting times and locations. The weed helps me alot but i would be careful of introducing another substance to an addict. And before everyone jumps on me about it being just weed, please know that if you arent in the smaller percentage of us who struggle with the disease of addiction, that you will probobly not understand.

6. This topic has crossed my mind many times. My mom is an alcoholic and she knows I smoke and gives me shit for it alot. I've always wondered if she would drink less if I got her ass high.

The more I think about it, the better it sounds. I mean, what do I do when I smoke? Homework, running, watch movies, anything productive. My mom when shes drunk? Yells, talks to herself, erupts for no fucking reason, sits on the couch all day.

Yeah, man, I would say do it. If it works out for your situation, then I'll do it for my mom too.

Good luck.

7. I definitely believe MJ can help alcoholics if used as a substitute. It's not good to help an addiction with another addiction but MJ is much safer and healthier than alcohol.

8. my dad is a alcoholic and cokehead..went into rehab when i was 15, im now 21. he was suchh a dick like most but i only recently became aware of him toking on a vacation out of the states a couple months ago. apparently ever since hes gotten outta rehab he smokes all day everyday, as much as anyone on here would, shit as much as me and my brother but hes such a more relaxed person. still an asshole from time to time but hes completely quit drinking and only smoked, lost a shitload of weight.

i would defiantly recommend it but remember they do have to want it. he only quit cause my mom was leavin his ass.

9. Cannabis substitution: An Adjunctive Therapeutic Tool in the Treatment of Alcoholism (full - 1969)
    http://www.mikuriya.com/s3_7.pdf

Association between cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) and childhood attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Spanish male alcoholic patients (full - 2003)
    Molecular Psychiatry - Association between cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) and childhood attention deficit//hyperactivity disorder in Spanish male alcoholic patients

Cannabis as a Substitute for Alcohol (full - 2003)
    CCRMG

Comparison of Cannabidiol, Antioxidants, and Diuretics in Reversing Binge Ethanol-Induced Neurotoxicity (full - 2005)

Comparison of Cannabidiol, Antioxidants, and Diuretics in Reversing Binge Ethanol-Induced Neurotoxicity

Role of cannabinoid receptors in alcohol abuse (news - 2005)
    Role of cannabinoid receptors in alcohol abuse, study

Effects of Alcohol and Combined Marijuana and Alcohol Use During Adolescence on Hippocampal Volume and Asymmetry (full - 2006)
    Effects of Alcohol and Combined Marijuana and Alcohol Use During Adolescence on Hippocampal Volume and Asymmetry

The endocannabinoid signaling system: a potential target for next-generation therapeutics for alcoholism (full - 2007)
    The endocannabinoid signaling system: a potential target for next-generation therapeutics for alcoholism

Report: Marijuana Less Harmful than Alcohol or Tobacco (news - 2008)
    Report: Marijuana Less Harmful than Alcohol or Tobacco

Cannabis reverses brain damage from alcohol (news - 2008)
    http://medicalcannabisawareness.myblogsite.com/entry36.html#body

Cannabis as a substitute for alcohol and other drugs. (full - 2009)
    Cannabis as a substitute for alcohol and other drugs

Daily marijuana users with past alcohol problems increase alcohol consumption during marijuana abstinence. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Daily marijuana users with past alcohol problems increase alcohol consumption during marijuana abstinence. PubMed Journal article

White Matter Integrity in Adolescents with Histories of Marijuana Use and Binge Drinking. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | White matter integrity in adolescents with histories of marijuana use and binge drinking. PubMed Journal article abstract

Cannabis as a substitute for heavy alcohol usage? (news - 2009)
    Cannabis as a substitute for heavy alcohol usage?

Influence of ethanol on cannabinoid pharmacokinetic parameters in chronic users
    (full - 2010)
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/511171841x1u1521/fulltext.html

The Endocannabinoid System Tonically Regulates Inhibitory Transmission and Depresses the Effect of Ethanol in Central Amygdala (abst - 2010)
    Neuropsychopharmacology - Abstract of article: The Endocannabinoid System Tonically Regulates Inhibitory Transmission and Depresses the Effect of Ethanol in Central Amygdala

Combined effects of acute, very-low-dose ethanol and delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol in healthy human volunteers (abst - 2010)
    ScienceDirect - Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior : Combined effects of acute, very-low-dose ethanol and delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol in healthy human volunteers

Marijuana To Control Alcohol Abuse (news - 2010)
    Marijuana To Control Alcohol Abuse | Psych Central News

Study shows direct cellular interaction between endocannabinoids and alcohol in the brain (news - 2010)
    Study shows direct cellular interaction between endocannabinoids and alcohol in the brain

Study Overturns Decade-Old Findings in Neurobiology: Research Suggests Potential Target for Drugs to Combat Alcohol Addiction (news - 2010)
    Study overturns decade-old findings in neurobiology: Research suggests potential target for drugs to combat alcohol addiction

It does work!- I "fell into the bottle" when my mother suicided. (I've been in the friend's shoes [​IMG] )

Without cannabis, I will open a bottle and drink until it is empty. With cannabis, I can have alcohol in the house and have, maybe, one drink a week, like a "normal person"!

Also cannabis helps to prevent the neural damage done by binge drinking.

Whether you should do this intervention, or not ,will have to be answered by your own conscience.

Granny [​IMG]

10. yes, i was a heavy drinker before i ever trid pot (i fell victim to the lies and ignorance peoplehave about weed)

i am now in much better shape.... and much more happier person since discovering marijuana... my skins complexion is flawless, ive lost 20 pounds of fatand have been putting on lots of muscle in the past few weeks!

marijuana honestly saved my life! fuck alcohol i seriously hate it now..