Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana seems to intensify my pain!!

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by fukinay, Dec 29, 2010.

1. #1 fukinay, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
    I am a 38 year old relatively healthy male (no previous severe health issues, just 10% overweight, never hospitalized or had surgery, healthy blood pressure, etc). I have been toking since age 19, but more regularly the past 12 years. In the past month I have been diagnosed with having 3 herniated cervical (neck) discs. 2 of them are moderate and 1 is severe. I will be getting an operation on them tomorrow. Along with a few other episodes of being ill or anxious, I sometimes thought marijuana often-times made my symptoms worse and made me tense up and experience more pain in my shoulders and neck. However, I always rationalized it by saying it must have been other stuff. However, in the last few weeks, almost EVERY time I smoked to relieve some discomfort or extreme pain my neck, shoulders, and arms from the inflammation and muscle spasms caused by the herniated discs irritating the nerves, my pain seemed to at least double. I didn't want to believe it was true, but I simply couldn't deny the massive increase in pain and muscle tightness I'd feel, especially in the first 1 or 2 hours after smoking. I tried it almost 20 times to make sure I was not imagining this or just unlucky timing with the weed.

I asked my brother last night who is a surgeon (and a toker) and he agreed with me that he and others often experience the same since marijuana often intensifies what you already feel, see, hear, etc. He added that there really has never been any well designed, conclusive studies done about marijuana in regards to pain management. Most studies have been done by groups who already have an agenda and skew the tests / results in their own favor. Please don't flame me. I am NOT against marijuana treatment for pain / disease. I am a toker like the rest of you here who enjoys it immensely (when I am feeling well). It's just that I feel the argument is WAY too one-sided in being a miracle pain killer in which in my case it does exactly the opposite and in the case of a few others I have talked to about this. Sometimes I also feel both marijuana and alcohol make us unaware of bad posture when sitting, standing, or using the computer which can increase the risk of injury. Your thoughts please! Thanks.

2. Have u tried edibles there for pain relief the smokn is for recreational use.

3. Are you smoking a sativa? Because that can amplify my pain. I've actually talked to people about this at the dispensary and they have had the same experiences. A STRONG indica is the way to go when treating pain. But every medication is different for everone.

I too have herniated discs, one with an annular tear and severe nerve pain, I also fucked up the sacroiliac joint in my lower back ... smoking does help the pain, I will say though that marijuana is not enough for my nerve pain. For the most part I just have to endure that.

I disagree that the studies are skewed though. Marijuana helps the pain for many people, and while it doesn't make it disappear for me, it certainly makes it tolerable, which if you think about it, is the same thing opiates do (at least for me). When I take anything to manage my pain, NOTHING is effective in making it disappear, everything that makes it dealible for awhile.

To the person who said that smoking is just for recreational use, that's not true at all, lol. There's no denying that an edible will give you more of a body stone, but just because you're actually smoking doesn't mean you're just doing it recreationally.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Many pain patients find that immature sativas cause issues, due to their activating effects. This phenomena is quite commonly discussed in the medical community. Patients have to carefully select the strain (s) that works for them.

Did you know that back pain can be improved by having a jar of bones?

5. I did not know this. How does it work?

clinton

6. strain choice plays a big role in controlling the pain..some strains have great painkilling effects while others wont touch or possibly make the pain worse like in ur case.

Do you have any idea what you are tokin on?

7. Hey Clinton!:wave:
    The surgeon gives the patient a small jar of bone chips,and having this to look at apparently reassure the patient that something has been done, and this decreases their pain levels.
    The human mind is an amazing thing.

Completely off topic... you coming to the discussion they are having about that new bill or whatever it is by the hemp oil guy, Todd I think his name is? We are going to try to be there.

Back to OP, for back pain, you want the trics on whatever you are toking to be quite amber. I know people whip out the 'scope before they will accept a free nug.

8. I'm a complete noob when it comes to MJ. So my experience is limited.

I have several compressed disks, radiculopathy( from a cervical stenosis), arthritis in the cervical facet joints and Lupus. The lupus mostly causes severe joint (shoulders and hips), and muscle pains, fatigue, and spasms, as well as nueropathic pains. Quite a symphony of pain.

My experience is pretty much as others have mentioned. The sativa-predominate MMJ that I've tried either does nothing for my pains, or makes the neuropathic pains feel worse. The sativas also make my muscle spasms worse, and in one instance has caused what appears to be myoclonic seizures(muscle seizures).

The Indica-predominate MMJ that I've tried helps with all my pains(joint, muscle, nerve), while relaxing (and is actually the most amazing medication I've tried for pain), but losses its effectiveness if I'm moving around.

So, as the others have suggested, if you haven't tried and Indica, I'd give that a try.

Hope you feel better.

Mar

9. Wow im having the same problem RIGHT NOW, i have been having unexplained/undiagnosed severe pain in my neck and shoudlers and along my whole back and have tried tons of meds and nothing had xrays/blood tests/nerve tests and all nothing, i decided after reading MJ can help with chronic pain i decided i would try it for the first time i rolled 0.5g into a joint and smoked about half and didnt even notice anything at first i figured it didnt effect me but after about 30min i noticed my neck and shoulder pain starting to get 100x worse and burning like it was on FIRE and it slowly started going down my back and its so bad right im going crazy, its just not going away its been like 4 hours and its still excruciating even after 2 percocets a vallium and a Naproxen all which i was prescribed to help deal with the pain, What is going on? I fell complelty sober right now no effects like high feeling or anything will this ever go away? Or am i stuck like this forever?

10. If it continues, please get it checked out. Severe neck pain can be a symptom of several unpleasant things like heart attack:(

Your increased pain could be something completely unrelated to your recent cannabis ingestion.

Shoulder and Neck Pain Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Diagnosis by eMedicineHealth.com

11. I honestly have to wonder about 1 post people making wild claims, and never posting again...(and reviving dead threads to do so...)...

[​IMG]

12. Their heads blow up, its quite sad....:(

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmJC3ZaXBEc]YouTube - Scanners (1981) - trailer[/ame]

13. Hi sorry for reviving a dead thread i just googled marijuana increased pain and this thread came up for i registered to post, it was genuine pain and was increased by the MJ i have since read several people who had the same problem, i know for sure im not going to try it again im still a bit more sore today than normal but i have nothing against weed or i wouldn't of tried it, i was hoping it would help with my pain so i don't have an agenda or anything it just didnt work for me thats all. Sorry if i did something wrong.

14. As long as your head did not blow up, you're fine:). You may have better luck with topical applications of cannabis ointment or oil, instead of smoking. I do not know if you are in a medical state or not, but when using cannabis for medical conditions its usually advisable to know the strain and have a general idea what to expect before medicating. Random street weed can lead to random, and sometimes unpleasant, results.

15. Do you know what kind of cannabis you used?

there are 2 kinds, indica and sativa.

indica helps with pain, sativa helps with other things, but can intensify pain!!!

try again and make sure you get an indica strain of cannabis this time.
    if it doesn't work, then cannabis either isn't for you, or else try a different type of consumption or application.

16. It was listed as Indica which is what i was aiming for and it didnt give me a head high it made me sleepy, im interested in the ointment, any info on it? how well does it work and how long does it last? Are the effects simmilar to smoking? I have 6.5g left would that be enough to make some? Thanks!

17. Ointments don't really get you high, they just help with localized muscle spasm/pain. If you are not planning on smoking what you have left, you could use it to make a tincture or infused oil. Tincture would probably be easiest since you don't have much weed.

18. I always feel this but no one i tell understands! They always say "no man it will only help alleviate your pain, not increase it." I dislocated my shoulder a couple months ago and whenever i smoke a sativa strain it aches so bad, to the point where i can't enjoy my high and just end up laying down. Also i have severe lower back pain and sometimes when i smoke its unbearable.

For some reason whenever i vape with my mflb i get aches all over my body too :confused_2: At first i loved the vapor high, and how efficient it is, but recently it just causes me terrible aches. Edibles help with the pain very much so, no matter what strain i cook with it feels nice on my body. I love the act of smoking/vaping too much to just eat edibles all the time though :(

19. My girlfriend says it intensifies her pain, pretty fucking shitty since I smoke a lot and she doesn't like to.