Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Migraines

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by WickedLiquid, Aug 27, 2010.

1. For whatever reason in the past couple months I've started getting constant headaches. Oddly enough it comes around the same time I started smoking weed more often. My first question would be can marijuana cause the surfacing of migraines? I used to get them when I was younger. Both my aunt, who is twin sisters with my mom, and my cousin from that twin sister get migraines. (I say this because the relation is essentially as if they were half-siblings not cousins.) So could smoking weed re-surface them?

My next question is counter to that. Will smoking weed help with the migraine or amplify it? I've usually stayed away from trying.

2. Well for me personally, by using for kicks at first I found out that with it I did not have to deal with headaches which are so unpredictable for me. Sometimes all day, once a week to none for a bit then slowly back or whatever my mind pleases to do to me. Anything does the trick but a good sativa is actually the best. Doctors have been no help and ive had these since i was like 10 so 8 years now.

This is also my first post and this thread made me feel the need to subscribe, I used to browse here when underage . :rolleyes:

So :wave: Grasscity.

3. Stems can cause headaches. Make sure you take out all the stems.

Also, to help a headache, get a sativa strain.

4. This is pretty accurate, but remember marijuana affects everyone differently. For me, marijuana helps with the occasional seasonal migraines I get.

Indica dominant strains are generally more helpful for ailments such as pain, neuropathy pain, aches, arthritis, etc.

Sativa dominant are generally more helpful for ailments within the head... migraines, headaches, depression, anxiety, OCD, etc.

Check out Granny's MMJ list.

5. MMJ works for my migraines like no other prescription has. Not only does daily smoking reduce the frequency but larger doses work well for the symptoms and pain. I consume about 1oz/month. However I have noticed that if I smoke in a social setting we smoke way more than I usually do and that can trigger a migraine for me. Especially if alcohol is involved. Although continued smoking does relieve it. Its a vicous cycle. I love weed.

6. lately I've also been getting these constant migraines. they usually hit me as soon as i stand up from sitting down a long time. they've only started happening to me pretty recently, and i only started token a few months ago. pretty constantly too. anyone know why i'm gettin these migraines, and if they're from smokin too much?

7. It ranges in the types. I have something called daily chronic headaches, where for the next 5-8 years (maybe more) I'll have a headache all day, everyday, and no pill or prescription med can help it. I'm working on getting my card soon which will be very easy. But ive found many indicas, mainly the from the Kush family get rid of them instantly. Some indicas make it worse, but some sativas do as well.

It's basically trial and error. I get migraines a few times a week so it sucks incredibly bad. But MJ is, quite literally, the only thing that helps them in the slightest.

Been to every type of doctor and they tell me basically nothing.

Keep a list of the strains that help and the ones that don't, it's different with everyone.

As for triggers, search "migraine triggers" into google and you'll get the lists. Many types of foods and even smells can cause them. Also staring at a computer screen for to long, especially in the dark gets mine going super bad. Just when you get them keep track of the things you ate and did and look for a pattern. Food diaries are great.

Goodluck!

8. I get to go get a CT scan for migraines this week. along with my new prescription for some anti nausea drug (one with more side effects than I can list), I've realized how depressing it is, that I can't get a card for one of the few things that helped.

feverfew extract, while intensely bitter, can usually keep ordinary migraines in check.

I hope they don't find anything serious in the scan...

9. In which state do you live?

10. I also hold a mmj card for chronic migraines...
    About 25 years Ive been getting the migraines...

I find that MJ does relieve the symtoms much better then any perscription they have given me, and believe me Ive tried them all over the years..

Good luck to you my friend, as a migraine sufferer I hate to hear of anyone that is experiencing them also:confused:

11. Mj helps migraines. Dehidration can make migraines surface and or be more intense. Try drinking a lot more water. Stay away from all MSG(it's in everything), don't eat smoke flavored products, less nuts, and try to eat clean in general. Plenty of water and sleep is a must.

12. Chronic Migraines are what introduced me to the sweet sweet cheeba. Ever since that first toke of effective, natural pain relief i've been hooked!

I had problems with Ibuprofen and my liver due to all the pain meds I was on cause of the migraines, now i've been chemical free for over 3 years!

13. Pay attention to what you eat and drink by writing it down or keeping a diary so that you're able to narrow down the search if it's something you're consuming.

Don't eat, chew or drink anything with aspertame, see this...

"Still Want To Chew Gum With Aspartame?

Posted by GW in Aspartame Free Gum on 29-06-2009

If you suffer from a migraines, it's better for you to stop chewing gum with aspartame. Should the product not ring a bell, how about NutraSweet? Equal? Little blue packages in the sugar bowl on restaurant tables? It's also found in endless amounts of sugarless gum.
    If you were to go just by the information about aspartame that you can find on the Internet, you could well think this sugar substitute was created by the devil himself. In all truth, the amount of Internet sites devoted to destroying aspartame and the brand name NutraSweet is insane. It's has been attacked like almost no other product on the market, the finger being pointed for everything from loss of memory to schizophrenia. Although the jury is still out on aspartame's culpability in relation to many ailments, there is no getting around the fact that aspartame has been linked to headaches in many studies.
    It is used in NutraSweet, an artificial sweetener. What it does is give off an amino acid neurotransmitter in the brain. In essence, though approved by the FDA as a additive, aspartame is really a drug.
    The New England Journal of Medicine, a well known medical journal, has finished studies that have found a connection between heavy consumption of diet drinks sweetened with aspartame and migraine headaches. Suddenly aspartame free chewing gum seems like a good idea, no?
    One scientist who has conducted research came to the startling conclusion that 90% of all migraines are caused by allergic reactions to food or food additives! His findings also suggest that this product is the most common food additive related to migraines.
    All this research, however, no conclusion has yet been drawn which strongly establishes what it is about aspartame that causes migraines in headache sufferers. Indeed, serotonin pops up quite a bit in medical journals as it seems to play a part in conditions ranging from appetite loss to mood change to sleep problems. When it comes to migraines, serotonin is thought to play a part in the lowering of levels of it in your body thanks to the effects of aspartame, thereby exacerbating pre-existing conditions that cause migraines. So it's really not so much a case of aspartame being the cause of migraines, but rather being a fast finger on the trigger.
    You may not believe, but there's also a danger from ceasing your intake of aspartame. Crazy eh? If you are currently drinking a huge amount of diet drinks or using a lot of NutraSweet in your coffee or tea, the one thing you don't want to do is suddenly stop for a few months and then go back. Many people report that they quit having headaches after stopping their use of products containing aspartame. Then they resumed their use of aspartame and were unfortunate enough to find that the headaches returned and were much worse than in the past."

Aspartame Free Gum | Aspartame Free Gum

;)

I found the post above when I was looking for aspartame free gum because I am having trouble locating some. All the gums regardless of sugar free or not now contain aspertame and I get bad headaches when I eat or drink something with aspertame in it.

Here is a link to some stuff on cannabis and migrains, good stuff...

In the M section for migrains, thanks GrannySC...

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/436257-granny-storm-crows-list-july-2009-a.html

:smoking:

14. Unfortunately in a state with no friendly MMJ laws.

to everyone else, I was fortunate enough to have a very observant mother, who kept track of everything to help figure out what was triggering my migraines, and while aspartame, msg, caffeine, nicotine all run the risk of triggering my migraines, she found that the #1 trigger, in fact. nearly a 100% risk of occurrence, was a large, or severe change in barometric pressure. every time a storm front moved in, sometimes I traveled quickly without pause over large distances, because elevation + climate may = differences in barometric pressure.

I read, years ago, that even in doses small enough that you never get high, cannabis use could prevent and/or reduce the effect of severe chronic migraines. helped when I could smoke every, or at least every other day.

just got over a 3day'er.. (storm lead to migraine, led to low sugar, led to migraine, led to caffeine/nicotine withdrawal led to migraine...) too scared to try the prescription the doc gave for nausea. the side effects include "developing psychological conditions that this drug is designed to treat" if taken for other reasons, and "death" if taken for the psychological conditions it's designed to treat.

along with all kinds of fun organ damage, and other lovely things. :(

oh, and I haven't heard from the doc yet.

I've heard mixed messages on the sativa/indica potency debate for migrainemj (Mmj) but never had a chance to grow my own and see for myself, and dealer grown = who knows. I know that even mj doesn't cut it if I'm full blown migraine is at full swing. or at least it hasn't with the dealer bud I've had... Can anyone recommend a few reasonable priced, stable Mmj strains? Ideally, I'd like two difference strains, something I could smoke and go function, and something I could smoke and pass out after.. with my main trigger being completely out of my control, beyond moving some place that never has weather... make sense? sorry for the ADD-ness of my post, I'm still a lil off normal, and a lil worried about the brain scan.

15. From my experience of smoking and edibles, I will say that marijuana causes more of my headaches than anything else. I used to get extremely bad migraines when I was in grade school, but now they have stopped (stopped before I started smoking). I have never gotten a really bad migraine for a few years. When I smoke alllll dayyyy longgg I sometimes get headaches. Also, when I eat edibles made with reggie I usually get a small headache on the comedown.

But I would also like to add that when I have a headache and I smoke some dank, the headache will go away until I am sober again...

16. You also have to factor in that many, many people who have really bad headaches are NOT having migraines. Different types of headaches will probably respond to different strains differently.

Classic migraines are typically a vascular event and are usually preceeded by visual disturbances like light flashes or tunnel vision. The headache pain is usually isolated to only one side of the head as well.

A bad headache with light sensitivity and nausea still might be a severe tension type headache or possibly an atypical migraine.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer to which strain you should use, but having a good general MD or neurologist or even a chiropractor who is a good diagnostician give you a definitive answer as to which type headaches you have would be a good starting point.

(If you've already done this and are sure of your diagnosis, then disregard what I wrote, but I find in many cases, the actual diagnosis has been hastily made by a GP who really doesn't have the training to tell the difference)

17. I agree, but to redit a long rant into something easier: yes, definitely migraines, and doctors grasping at straws... I don't claim to understand them, but I work with wrenches, and electricity, not diseases, and disorders...

18. Migraines were one of the contributing factors listed on my rec as well. For me mmj helps me to sleep through the pain or bear it if I must press on through the day. Usually I am fully incapacitated without taking anything.

19. i used to get Migraines like once a week it would be so bad that i vomit and even some times my face and and left or right arm (depending on what side of my head i would get the migraine) would be numb but about 2 years ago i started smoking weed for the fun of it and noticed that i would not get them as much now i haven't gotten one in a wile but i don't know if thats because i grew out of them if that can happen or if its from weed all i know is that any thing the doctors would give me would not work they would only make them not last as long

20. I am 26, and I have suffered all my life. Everyone in my family has them, and they are no joke. I have found after taking my medication for my pain smoking does help. It helps very much so if you have nausea as a side effect from the migraines. Every now, and then one will come across that will just lay me out in the dark, and a pin hitting the floor sounds like a bomb exploding. My advice... try a few hits see how your pain is... It does great things for all my other issues-

Good Luck-

:wave: