Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Thyroid disease + marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by MisterPlow, Aug 28, 2008.

1. I was wondering if anyone knows of any research, (i have not found any), done about Marijuana and thyroid disease, and if marijuana effects the thyroid gland negatively or positivley either with a healthy thyroid, or a hyper/hypo thyroid.

2. I am in medicine and research, and know no studies, at present.
    What kind of thyroid disease?

3. I have nothing either and I have roughly 80 pages of links to medical research studies. I'd be interested in this too. For whatever reason my thyroid is back to normal levels these days. I used to need Synthroid for hypothyroid.

Perhaps you could theorize BubbleFunker, based on the systems they affect and brain chemistry and whatnot? With all the disclaimers about not being medical advise of course.

4. Hello All!

New to this site/forum. I'm trying to take a week off of smoking to see if any of my health issues are effected. It sucks because one health issue I have for sure is super-stress :(

Anyway, I might be dealing with thyroid issues, adrenal issues, blood sugar issues, liver issues. I don't know and unfortunately, my two doctors are completely and utterly unhelpful. They're asking me to share what I come up with.

So, I got to this site because I'm trying to figure out if smoking effects the thyroid. I found this link:
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/EndocrineEffects.pdf

I confess that I have only read the intro thus far. It basically said that the effects are unclear and tolerance has something to do with each person's effect.

Hope this helps!

Also - since I'm here. I found a site that sells legal substances that are similar to weed. Can anyone tell me if they actually get you high or is it rip-off?

Thanks and happy tokes!

5. Seriously get real medicine don't rely on marijuana for a Thyroid condition ever. You need pills and such. Cannabis works fine for pain or anxiety or the Michigan list of accepted diseases. " Cancer, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn's disease, agitation of Alzheimer's disease, nail patella, or the treatment of these conditions.
    (2) A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces 1 or more of the following: cachexia or wasting syndrome; severe and chronic pain; severe nausea; seizures, including but not limited to those characteristic of epilepsy; or severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those characteristic of multiple sclerosis." And even then you need to see a doctor for further treatment.

6. I've met the attractive lady. Stoney Girl, who survived advanced thyroid cancer with help from MMJ, and she is pretty impressive.
    The Alchemist Weekly » Blog Archive » Stoney Girl saga

7. Hi - Just want to clarify that I'm not using weed to medicate myself. Just wanting to know of any ADVERSE effects of smoking on my health conditions, most notably a possible thyroid condition.
    Cheer!

8. Alternative Treatments for Graves Disease; Marijuana (Cannabis) (news - 2009)
    Alternative Treatments for Graves Disease; Marijuana (Cannabis) | Medical Marijuana Blog

There's a few more on cancers of the thyroid in my list (1st link in my sig), but I don't think that is what you are looking for. I believe that over at International Cannagraphic a while back there was a discussion of the effects of cannabis on the thyroid. You might go there and run a search.

Granny :wave:

9. I need Synthroid for hypothyroid also, havent takin my pills in like 6 years, got super fat (over 340) then started smoking weed again, went vegan, now im 200 and feeling great! sometimes i still have thyroid issues but currently in canada and im a US citizen so no medical here. is MJ keeping me well? lol _

10. #10 Asthmatic, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013