Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anyone know anything about getting medi in Alberta, Canada

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Jordan_515, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Well, Long story short, for the last 3-4 years ive been using cannabis to self medicate for chronic pain in my back (Im almost 7 feet tall and have a TERRIBLE back), depression, mood swings, and anxiety/Insomnia

And like anyone who knows how much herb can help, I am interested in trying to get medicinal.

The thing is, im having alot of trouble finding info about ANYTHING related to medicinal laws or even anyone who has a card in alberta that I can talk to, and im not sure how to bring it up to my doctor, because I dont know if its even possible for me to get it.

I know I havnt made many posts, but ive browsed GC extensivly, and I know you guys really know your stuff, so if anyone has any info that might help me, please share:)

Thanks

2. Damn, only 9 veiws =/

well, I guess this isnt a canadian site, so im gunna change my question.

Ive got all the forms for mmj, what do I say to my doctor? just ask him straight out for a sig, or do I need to show him info, or what?

what did you guys do?

3. I'm unsure about the MMJ situation in Alberta, but i can say I've never heard anything about it. I'd assume, it being Canada, your bertter off goin through dealers as usual, as your not gunna get as fucked by the system as you would in the states. I will say I'm no expert, but if Alberta has no MMJ system in place all teh info in the world you give you doc won't be enough

4. Canada has a medical marijuana program that allows folks to grow their own cannabis plants. The hitch is you have to find a doctor that will be knowledgeable enough and willing to give you a prescription. having said that there are currently over 2000 licensed med users in Canada who can do exactly that.

I would suggest you visit www.treatingyourself.com - a Canadian med users forum. They should be able to help you locate the right doctor.

Good luck!

5. Thanks for the website, hopefully I can join those 2000 people lol

6. and thats why i love this forum, i never knew about medical marijuana in canada, thats just more reason im glad im a canadian

7. i live in Alberta too, and i am interested in getting my card.

I've been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety (with OCD tendencies) when i was still in elementary school, which progressively got worse and worse through my high school years and beyond.
    The side effects that come with this have given me chronic 24/7 nausea, at times i cant even hold water down. My appetite is practially zip and i am losing too much weight. Getting to sleep due to nausea, stomach pains, anxiety is extremely difficult. countless tests showed no physical causes for anything..

antidepressants had horrific side effects, especially when i was younger and didn't know what they were, anti anxiety medications made me incredibly dizzy and dopey, making it impossible to drive or do much of anything.

I discovered marijuana in the middle of high school, and have been using it nightly for the past year or so.

My usually catastrophic thought patterns turn back to rational, anxiety gone
    My mild OCD dissapears
    My nausea/pain is decreased, i can ACTUALLY eat!
    I am able to sleep without problems anymore
    with all these awesome things happening, there are times when i dont feel depressed at all!
    it feels like i have a new lease on life.. maybe things will get better after all

The doctors/psychologists i usually see are quite conservative though, and trying to convince them that medical marijuana will benefit me would be next to impossible.

Does anyone have any information or tips helpful to fellow Canadians (or more specifically, Albertans)?

8. I feel your pain, I have Crohn's disease and I have had medical marijuana for about a year.
    I live in Vancouver and when I applied I went to Health Canada's website and I got all of the forms that you need from them. All you need to do is fill them out, get a doctor to sign it and your good to go. As for finding a more liberal doctor, I live on the west coast so I can't really help you out.

Good luck though.

9. hi there

I have a similar need,

I have chronic anal fissures a painful daily suffering and the relief obtained from MJ relieves the pain quite considerably.
    Over time It has been helpful for me and i would like to find a doctor that could help me with my legal requirements.

Ive already been to two surgeries and every time its a high risk of wrecking the anal sphincter for life and end up in diapers.

This is NO LAUGHING matter its a sincerely dire situation

I dare not go for a third surgery attempt to fix it. How many times can you keep cutting tissue out before nothings left

Sooooooooooo i'm resigned to it for life , a life of daily pain that I know a solution appears to relieve the pain and yet why is it that I cant find anyone to help me satisfy the legal requirements is beyond me.

Anyone know any doctor willing to hear cases for medical mj need in edmonton it would be greatly appreciated so I can stop living in a cave of fear of prosecution / persecution

Edmonton guy

10. Hi there,

I have recently got my Medi Card in Alberta. I suffer from fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, carpul tunnel, tennis elbow and migranes.

My doctor advised me to use Medicinal, and the process I used was: I found the application package online and filled out my portion, my doc then filled out his portion, sent it away and I got my card in about a month.

My advice is to just consult with your doctor, explain to him that atleast this is a better alternative than killing your liver or kidneys via all the other narcotics out there. In my case I had tried just about every narcotic on the market and had too many side effects. I would just have a converstaion with your doctor and let him know that you have had it and need something that will actually do something for your pain without all the nasty side effects.

If you want to talk to me more about obtaining your license in Alberta, my email is davistjk@telus.net

Tamara

11. #12 Storm Crow, May 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
    Go ask at treatingyourself.com - it's a very good CANADIAN MMJ forum! The folks there will answer your questions. And be sure to check out their online past issues of their magazine!

Granny :wave:

12. I was wondering if you have found a doctor and the right forms to get your medical marijuana? I can help with everything right down to the growing.

13. Hi! i am very curious as to how to get my card.. i have PVNS in my right foot and chronic back pain caused by scoliosis... most drugs make me puke/pass out or dont work at all... i live in constant pain and im only 27... i nervous about asking a doctor (i dont have one that i have been going to for a long time other than my foot surgeon of 4yrs... who is a big maybe) just wondering about doctors etc..?! i live in red deer ab. (sylvan lake,ab actually..) thanks!

14. :hello:

i tried your emai but it was returned i am in fort mcmurray and have had no luck with dr here wondered who yours is in edmonton i have had fibro for 20 yrs