Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and Ulcerative Colitis Journal?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by xXTrunkmonkeyXx, Jul 24, 2012.

1. I'm an 20 year old male with ulcerative colitis (diagnosed 6 years ago) and I am considering doing a formal series of journals that show this plants effect on my symptoms (mainly) and any other side effects I experience as a result. If these journals would interest anybody then please let me know because I'd hate to do all of this writing and documentation for no reason.

If I do decide to do this case study then I will be using a vaporizer (to eliminate toxins that could be contributed to smoke), indoor grown herb and any other factors that YOU think might make this a more controlled experiment.

Please leave comments that will tell me if this study would appeal to you and how I could make it better.

Thanks!

2. A good friend of mine through high school had UC. He and I were avid smokers too. He said on many occasions that it helped him tremendously...with pain and discomfort as well as appetite stimulation. I would be really interested to read your findings; especially any objective, quantitative data. I have considered doing the same with my ailment. The world always needs more research--especially if it can help improve the opinion of MMJ's efficacy.

3. I would definitely be interested in this study. I was diagnosed with UC a little more than I month ago and would like to know much more about the potential benefits of MMJ. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on Mary than a pharmaceutical with a laundry list of side effects. I already know what Mary does to me, and it's nothing bad.

4. Well here is a small update.

My current medications are
    Apriso 4 .375mg every morning
    Prednisone 4 10mg every morning
    Electronic cigarette- 18 mg as needed
    .1g Grape Ape (indica strain) during night vaporized in mflb

Over the past few weeks I've been in a flair up (blood, 5-8 bathroom trips per morning) which sucks big time. I visited my doctor and he told me to continue taking my maintenance pills (4 apriso every morning) but to add a large dose of prednisone 40 mg every morning as well.
    This was a huge downer because while I'm in a flair up I can't eat and the prednisone makes it so sleeping is impossible. This is where vaping come in handy because it obviously makes me feel like I want to eat, decreases my depression and when I mix my trench with some Chamomile it knocks me right out.
    The nicotine works like a trigger for me during remission and flair ups because I'll vape it and soon after I will go to the bathroom. This is great because I can do it during times when I have a bathroom handy and it will empty me out when I have a free 10 minutes.
    The only thing that I wish could be different is getting a sativa strain so that I can vape during the day... I guess nothing can be perfect but I'm surviving.
    The DR. wants me to begin Humira bi-weekly but I'm very hesitant about it since its side effects make prednisone look like candy...

PS.
    I'm sorry if this is a bit scattered I've been up to my ears in work and stress due to this darn flair up.

5. Back in January of this year I started having a lot of issues with my bowel. Based on the symptoms I think that I may have ulcerative colitis or possibly Chrons disease. I've been meaning to see a doctor to confirm. I read somewhere that only 22% of people that have used Humira said it actually helped them. I know for a fact that smoking helps me with all the symptoms I suffer. To the stomach pain, to the cramping, to never feeling hungry, barely able to eat any food.

6. Yes humira did not help me when I used it last (5 years ago) neither did asacol, sulfasalazine, colizol, imuran. I used Remicade for a year and a half and it put me into remission for 8 months after but it is a horrible drug. I'm not sure if you know about it but it kills the immune system causing insomnia, night seats, irregular heart beats, chronic infections (which I still suffer from even though I haven't used it for about 2 years) and there was a high risk of blood cancer and sudden death. Plus every 6 weeks I had to sit in a doctor's office for 4 hours while they infused the drug with my blood and kept me on a heart monitor in case they infused it too quickly and I went into cardiac arrest.... and a doctor has the nerve to tell me marijuana is dangerous? (but that's besides the point)

7. Yesterday I ran out of my maintenance drug Apriso and wasn't doing so well. My girlfriend said I was looking pretty pale and sick, so that night I smoked .1 out of my one hitter. All symptoms were drastically reduced and I felt almost normal. I mean normal for me is not really normal for the average joe (I still had a tiny bit of blood) but I can get used to feeling this great even without Apriso.

8. Subbed, very interested in this journal. I am doing something similar in my thread, but using hemp oil.

9. Where are you getting the oil? I'll subb to your's a read up on it now.

10. I am making it. I just started everything, so its documenting the experimenting with methods and results as well.

11. Hey everyone!

I'm back again for an update and here's what I have.
    Vape roughly 3 times a week with an IndicaXSativa outdoor strain free from chemicals of any kind.
    Apriso 4 .375mg every morning.
    Electronic cigarette- 24 mg as needed (free from cancer causing carcinogens)
    Absolutely no alcohol intake
    No red meat
    3 trips to the B-room each day with minimal blood and pain. I'm still in remission since the Prednisone cycle a few months ago.

I have found that marijuana is a great way to maintain remission and gives me the urge to eat food and maintain a healthy weight. The key to having no pain is emptying bowels in the morning, having a light breakfast and staying away from trigger foods when you have things to do. THC also does a great job of helping me unwind from the day's and this diseases stresses.
    Soon I hope to make a tincture and note the effects that this has on my disorder but the question I hope to answer is "how can I make an effective tincture without alcohol (which inflames my intestine)?"
    Thanks for your continued support everybody!

12. I've been battling intestinal shit for the last 4-5 years. The more weed I eat, the better I feel. I've been battling my condition without western medicine, for the most part. Here are some things I've learned in my struggles.

I'm not gonna comment on any of the pharmies you take, but I would definitely encourage you to save the left-over herb from your vaporizer. I empty my vaporizer waste into a jar, then I buy empty capsules from the health food store and cram the vaped weed into the caps. Swallow them and they still have medical value.
    Cannabis eases inflammation of the entire digestive tract. It also eases stress, as you said, which originates from the gut brain. It is my opinion that cannabis is also anti-microbial to whatever yeast/bacteria/fungi/virus/etc to what may be causing/agitating your condition.

http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...h-candy-canna-bombs-more-49.html#post13446289

Here is a great tutorial to making a medical extract. I just did this last weekend and I feel it made a good product. The oil that results is much better than eating vaped weed. Long story short is you make a tincture, boil off the alcohol so none remains, then add some coconut oil and lecithin to ease bioavalability, then encapsulate to make taking medicine easy and 'normal'.

If you make an oil this way, use coconut oil. It is generally good for intestinal conditions, plus it is very easy for the body to absorb straight with no effort. Adding soy lecithin helps emulsify and evenly distribute the cannabinoids in the oil and your gut. When I take a cannabis-coconut oil when I am flaring, I have a serious bout of burping when the capsules break open in my stomach. The relief is instant!!! I can track the oils progress through my gut based on symptom relief. I can tell when the caps break open in my stomach. When they go into the duodenum, the small intestine, then finally reaches the large. Oil is better for stomach and small intestine, eating decarbed herb sprinkled with lecithin is best for large intestines as the medicine reaches here before being processed for the most part.

I also have not had any alcohol in almost 4 years. Limit your sugar and starch intake as much as possible. If you think about it, alcohol is just a sugar. It probably feeds bad microbes in your gut. Limiting all starches/sugars has been the biggest part of my relief. Keep track of foods that set you off. Make a smoothie in the morning with green leafy veggies. The chlorophyll is helpful. Take neem bark and leaf tea. Use probiotics of all types.

I used to avoid most meats, but I have found that eating the right kind of meat to be most important. Not to sound like a snob, but organic meat only. I can not eat pork that is not organic. If I eat non-organic pork, I have a bad flare up for days. Organic pork, no problem. I think it has to do with GMO feed that most non-organic animals are fed. If you do a little looking around, there are some very scary studies that are coming out regarding what GMO feed does to livestock and ultimately our food. I can tolerate any kind of organic meat. I eat digestive enzymes at meals. Also look into a non-GMO diet. I have been eating organic only for about 8 months and it helps.
    GM Organisms wreck our intestines.

Now onto the weed. I see you mentioned chemical free. I'm not sure if you are in a medical state, but try to find a good organic grower. Better yet, grow your own. I've found Blueberry x Bubblegum crosses to make the best oil. Not really important which breeder, just a cross of these two parents seems to make good gut oil

:wave:

Hope that helps.

13. Oh, also. If you really get into eating the oil, expect some interesting symptoms. Once I quit tip-toeing through the tulips and got into 'therapeutic' dose levels (around an 1/8th per serving) I had some bodily cleansing symptoms.