One Million Up in Smoke

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, Mar 20, 2013.

1. One Million
    [​IMG]
    This was the front page of the Huffington Post yesterday.

NYPD Spent 1 Million Hours Making 440,000 Marijuana Possession Arrests Over Last Decade
    NEW YORK - The NYPD spent 1 million hours making 440,000 arrests for low-level marijuana possession charges between 2002 and 2012, according to a new report released Tuesday - just as legislative leaders in Albany are deciding whether to pass a bill reforming drug laws.

This is a powerful indictment of the incredible waste of law enforcement resources involved in going after marijuana users.

2. NYCP are actually pretty lenient to the marijuana laws, we should check in some other states im sure there numbers are higher! Still alot, where is the change !? Well it's all starting off with the amendment 64. Go and support . One love.\

"I was smokin a blunt on the streets while back and a cop saw us , he told us to put it out thats it."

3. #3 Doormouse, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
    Yeah, this showed up in the NORML feed as well. You've got to wonder how much money the federal government has given them for all of those hours.

440,000 busts in 1,000,000 hours?...so a little over 2 hours per bust? I detect a bit of slacking here. when I was busted for possession it took an hour tops.

4. So whats the average salary for a policeman or detective in NY? Lets find out just how much money that million hours comes out to.

5. they have roughly 50 people who specialize in cannabis bust.

6. It has a lot to do with what part of town you were in,,,the stop and frisks were not happening on Broadway or 5th Avenue,,just as in our legislatures,,the people going to prison for marijuana are not from the part of town senators and reps live in so they don't see it as a problem.

7. i didnt have a problem finding weed in ny, stayed in howard homes for 2 nights went out at midnight to buy a 40 oz beer and everything was cool. wat up ny

8. And what are the stats that these are happening in neighborhoods that are majority black,hispanic? They can get away more easily randomly searching kids in these areas for obvious reasons.

9. Long island has some of the highest paid in the country, with no college requirement.

10. That is what the big fuss is about,,90% of the arrests are in black and brown Burroughs,,the 10% are in the white sections,,while marijuana use is more predominate amongst whites.

One LEAP member,a former Narcotics Investigator asked why they were not making arrests in all the Burroughs and was told that if they started busting the well to do that they would cause enough friction to have the laws changed,,it is one thing for your legislator to get e-mails from constituents but when his family and friends start calling because of marijuana arrests,,shit happens,:devious: