This is how it should be

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, Feb 13, 2013.

1. This is how it should be

David Bratzer is a LEAP speaker in Canada (and a really nice guy). For some good news today, check out this speaking engagement he had yesterday:

‘Groundbreaking' conversation as Halifax police chief hosts session with drug law reformer

Canadian president David Bratzer said it's the first time a Canadian police chief has asked a LEAP representative to address serving officers.

“It shows a police chief who's open-minded and willing to engage in dialogue about complex issues,” said Bratzer. “It is groundbreaking. In my view, what he did is national police leadership. I can't say enough about it, I'm so impressed.”
    Blais said he invited Bratzer to speak in the interests of being open to a range of new ideas on policing.

“As we continue looking at the sustainability of policing practices here in HRM…overall, what are we doing? Does this make sense?” he said. “We may not agree with his points…but it doesn't mean we can't listen and learn from there.”

Bratzer, a police officer in British Columbia, said the presentation seemed well-received.

“These senior officers are very experienced and they asked some good questions,” said Bratzer, adding that his views do not represent those of his employer. “It's exactly what we need, to be having a national discussion about this issue.”
    Blais said Bratzer made some compelling points, and said he'd recommend a LEAP presentation to other police chiefs in Nova Scotia.

Wow! A police chief who really wants to listen and learn. Of course, that's basic common sense, but it's so incredibly rare that it's quite laudable.

Congrats to David and Canadian LEAP for all their hard work that is clearly making a difference.

As long as American police agencies receive federal grant monies for marijuana possession arrests the Police Chiefs and administrators of state agencies will support prohibition,,,and I am not sure if CAN police agencies receive those funds,,,that would explain the "common sense" being shown by Canadian LEO and allowing the discussion to occur.
    If CAN doesn't have the grants for drug enforcement you can bet that the ONDCP is going to suggest it and increase funding to Canada to cover it,,it's how that buy support for marijuana prohibition from our police and the minute they quit giving out that bounty money for possession charges the ONDCP will lose that support.

2. We need to see a lot more of this in Canada, that's for sure.