should I worry? lighting questions help!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by H3rbOshin, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Probably should have pisted this sooner but I'm almost done with my cab and I'm worried about my house buring down since its an old house. I'm going to be running:

1x An externaly ballast 400watt hps in a cool tube
    2x internaly ballast 125watt 6400k cfls
    1x inline duct fan 6" it says power 37watts 120v voltage
    2x 6" clip fans for circulation

I'm planning on running this from a walll socket through a splitter / surge arrestor I'm living with my gf at her momsb and she's down for the cab but this is her only concern.

Please help me put her mind at ease! Thanks in advance.
    -kc

2. You seem OK, put ya mind at ease and add up the watts and amps, there is a math formula here someplace that will help you out

peace
    "V"

3. [quote name='"vostok"']You seem OK, put ya mind at ease and add up the watts and amps, there is a math formula here someplace that will help you out

peace
    "V"[/quote]

Sweet man thanks makes me feel better. If you know where that chart is let me know. Your the man

4. You should be fine. What you don't realize is when your oven is on if its electric its pulling 1000-3000 watts. Vaccum Cleaner about 1200 watts, DVR 200 watts, Xbox 360 up to 300-400 watts depending on model..same as PS3. Computer depending couple hundred watts to over 1000.

Unless you live in the stone age and have none of that then your already exceeding many times your proposed set up.

5. Awsome it does really help

6. No problem. Most do not realize how much energy there consumer electronics actually use. Usually a consumers only interaction on how much something pulls is a light bulb they screw in.

A good device to tell is called a kill-a-watt. You plug that into the wall and your device into it and the lcd tells you the pull. I did that a few months ago and was amazed. Most devices also have "vampire" suckage...still uses a little energy in sleep mode or when off. Why its best to physically unplug it if your not using it. A DVR turned off still pulls about 80-100 watts 24/7 when its off since it stays on to pull programming data and dvr recordings.