600 Watt HPS looks like what on a power bill?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Vox Continental, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Including ventilation and what not, how much power is a 600 watt HPS equivalent too? A fridge? A dryer? A TV? Would love to see some conversion tables and equivalencies!

2. I would suggest buying a kill a watt @ lowes or home depot. This device will show you how much power is used on everything in your home. I don't have one but read from other members that were surprised how much electricity is consumed by appliances and other electronics. It can also save you money. Example, I believe another member said his x-box pulled 400 watts when hooked up to the kill a watt. There are other ways to calculate it also. You can go online to your power company and they will have loads of info on how to calculate costs and conserve electricity. I don't know your situation, but I really don't think 600+ watts is an issue. In this day and age people have TV's in every room, PC's, laptops, gaming systems, you name it. Remember, the electric company is a business. If someone owed you 25-35 dollars extra a month would you complain? There are many threads on here about electricity use. Good luck.

3. #3 hostileguy, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
    a 600W HPS consumes... well, 600 Watts of power. Electricity companies charge their customers by KiloWatt hour (kW-h). So if you use your HPS light for an hour, you will be charged for 0.6 KW hours. Different places and times have diff values for charging KW-hours, example 15cents per kW-h,
    running a HPS for 12 hours a day for 30 days will consume 360 x 0.6 = 216 kW-hours
    Bill for that would be, 15 x 216 = 3240 cents or 32.40 $
    This way other appliances can be calculated. Look at the power rating Watts and calculate like above.

4. Thanks guys, great info, I dont have a HPS I was just wondering out of curiosity.. planning for the future, I see large buds and great light penetration there..

5. Go on the web i guarantee you can find an actual converter calculator on your providers website...i did it and my 600hps to run twelve hours a day is twenty or so dollars..like 22 its really not that crazy a difference....no worse than three 50 inch flatscreens running ps3 or xbox 24/7

6. Hah, that seems wacked out but alright

7. Look at your pill figure out the price per kilowatt hour. Here in Atlanta its .12 cents per kilowatt hour. Plug into this calculator.

Costs Calculator

8. each one of my 1000 W HPS costs me about 50 bucks a month to run. so yep, hostile guy was right on the money with $32.