Hps help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by badboy287, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Hey guys i have a question if anyone doesnt mind......

I currently have a 250w hps 4in aircooled hood with what i think is a digital ballast(its small and silver, im not exactly sure(it was a no name package i got on amazon), but my question now is: I want to upgrade to a 400whps, would i have to get a new hood also or can i jus get a new ballast and bulb and use with my current hood, i was also thinking about a 400w dimmable ballast.

Anyone knowledgeable on this topic? Thanks in advance

2. Yes you would need to upgrade the lot, it gets really hot, you may note the burnt fingers of your right hand ....lol
    Best not to be a cheapskate on such a vital piece of equipment, as you may have discovered, check out your local growshop, and get a mid range system,
    I prefer 600w HPS that does me very well for 4x4 sq. ft.

peace

"V"

3. #3 badboy287, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    [quote name='"vostok"']Yes you would need to upgrade the lot, it gets really hot, you may note the burnt fingers of your right hand ....lol
    Best not to be a cheapskate on such a vital piece of equipment, as you may have discovered, check out your local growshop, and get a mid range system,I prefer 600w HPS that does me very well for 4x4 sq. ft.

peace

"V"[/quote]

Thanks bruh, but what gets really hot? If your reffering to the hood its aircooled with a 6in tjernlund inline fan (535 cfm) ... not really being cheap,but if i can save a 100 on another hood atm, that would be great . Yea its prob ideal to get a whole new hood but is it absolutely necessary.
    A 600 would be nice also but jus too much for my current situation.

4. Honestly I don't see why you'd need to purchase a new hood. Perhaps you could better utilize your new ballast/lamp with a hood upgrade but it could probably wait until you've decided your ready or what you have may very well serve you well.

5. No, you do not have to get a new hood, you can go with just a new ballast and bulb. But only if you go to 400w. If you were to go 600w I would suggest you get a 6" aircooled hood and a 6" fan too.:smoke:

6. Awesome.... thanks guys, i see some nice deals that come with the hood,and dont cost much more than the bulb and ballast together, so ill see i guess..... thanks for all the input.