1000w HPS in 3x3 tent

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ironhead, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Ok so I just acquired a new 1000w HPS light in a air cooled hood from a buddy of mine. I have a grow going right now on about day 30 of flowering with a 400w cooltube and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in using such a large light in this size space. The tents measurements are 3x3x7 and I'm doing a Scrog which keeps the plants pretty short so I should be able to put that 1000w in there right?

2. I don't have personal experience with that, but I've seen it done. As long as you have the proper ventilation of course.

3. Ok I have a 312 cfm inline 6 inch fan so hopefully that is enough. I wonder if I will see a huge difference once I put this sucker in....

4. I'm interested. I grow in a tent w/ a 400w and I wanna see how much hotter that 1000w is. Keep us posted man.

5. Damn I just plugged this thing in for the first time and it is sooo bright and sooo hot.. it makes the whole room go up a couple degrees pretty quickly.:rolleyes:

I searched around for a while to find any journals to read through but I can't seem to find any...but there are lots of people that say its too hot. My ventilation exhausts back into the room that the tent is in so it worries me that it will make the whole room much hotter. I'm trying to not cut any holes to vent into the attic so if I can't get the temps to an acceptable level then I'm gonna go trade this in for a 600 and hope it doesn't run as hot.

1000w Powerhouse:
    [​IMG]

6. Man I grow in a tent in a walk in closet and vent back into the same room. I totally know what you're saying. I wonder how much it would help to just extend that exhaust out the door. Sometimes in the dead of summer I put a huge fan in the door just flooding the room with air the whole time the lights are on and so far even w/ it 110 outside I've been able to keep my plants alive.

I really wanna see you get this thing in there w/ good temps. It'll be inspirational to all stealth growers.

7. 110.... sounds like we are in the same area.;) Its finally getting cooler here and thats the only reason that I'm gonna attempt this now. I've known for a while that I was going to be getting this light and I was just waiting til it wasn't so insanely hot to go pick it up.

8. I've even thought of hooking up a piece of ductwork from the nearest vent and just running it into the closet, because I have no a/c vent inside it. Surely that, plus extending that exhaust to stretch out of the room would give you some leeway.

9. Hey man I have a 3x3x5 tent with a 600 watt hps cooltube hooked up to a 400 cfm fan....temps still climb to 88-90 even with ambient temps 70-71(air conditioner) so I bet tht 1000w would require a very high cfm fan, 600-700 I'd guess how are u current temps with the 400?

10. With the 400 it stays about 79-81...hopefully I can keep the temps under 90 with the 1000. I'm gonna find out here in a little bit once the lights come on for the day. Do you have a fan blowing between the light and the tops of the plants?

11. i got one 600w and one 400 w in a 3x3x7.5 works fine heat was a prob at being but i bought a portable ac 12000 btu and now it stays nice and cool in tent 70-72 plants love it my 600 w is mh and my 400 is a dual ark bulb that came with it the 400 w got off ebay for 89 bucks its a mtn band they are cheap but work and last

12. running them both in cool tubes up and down in middle of tent

13. Are your lights air-cooled?

How much did that ac unit set you back?

14. [quote name='"irnhed84"']With the 400 it stays about 79-81...hopefully I can keep the temps under 90 with the 1000. I'm gonna find out here in a little bit once the lights come on for the day. Do you have a fan blowing between the light and the tops of the plants?[/quote]

Yes a standard tower fan and a small desk fan pointed at the tube still temps aren't horrible but not ideal, I was trying to avoid the portable ac unit like Chad got but push comes to shove I may have to get one, but I would try a second duct fan b4 I get tht because it will be cheaper

15. i got the eco star had the best reveiw on the net for portable ac got it on sale last month for 229 plue 60 for shipping and yea they are cool tubes hucked to a 444 cfm fan they both hucked to same on i use 2 cool tubes hucked together i thought same way manwall but temps to high for 1000 w of light had to unhuck the 400 w till i got my ac couldnt keep it cool with both was hitting 100 with in mins with out ac and that was way to hot now i set my ac to 70 when lights on and now it stay 70-72 which is great and helps keep my water temp under control cause the temps on the floor ar 64 so i dont have to use ice no more to cool my water so it saves me alot of time

16. i only wanted to spend like 1000 for but tent setup up to 2600 now and im finely done i got 2 3x3x7.5 one for flowering and the other im still building a stand to split it in to 2 part on for mother and other for clones going to leave that tent on 24/7 with 2 more 400 w mh for that tent that way i can keep my flower tent going with out a pause

17. Sounds like you have some other issue happening. Temps rise 20 degrees with 70 degree intake air temp? No way.

I have a 4x4 with a 1000 watt and 460 cfm fan and my temps never even reach 10 degrees above ambient. The usual is around 7-8 degrees for me.

18. yea they shouldnt go up that high manwall if your ambient temps are 70 mine were 80 no ac in the room thats y i got one with my 600 w running with out ac it was on 3-4 diff in tent then out of tent so i was at 83-84 for a 600 w are u venting you the room you got your tents in i vent to another room under the stair where we store stuff its all block there and it dont get that hot in there post some pics of your setup do you go a bunchh of 90 degree turns in your duck i would say with an ambient temp of 70 you shouldnt go higher then 82 or lower so something cant be right

19. Ok so I have a smaller space and a smaller fan than you do. My house has been staying about 75-78 at night when the lights are on so even if I hit 10 degrees over ambient that will still be 88ish. I wonder if I can just get another clip on fan to blow around under the light to help control the temp too.

Laylow do you vent outside or back into the room that the tent is in?

20. [quote name='"chad0200"']yea they shouldnt go up that high manwall if your ambient temps are 70 mine were 80 no ac in the room thats y i got one with my 600 w running with out ac it was on 3-4 diff in tent then out of tent so i was at 83-84 for a 600 w are u venting you the room you got your tents in i vent to another room under the stair where we store stuff its all block there and it dont get that hot in there post some pics of your setup do you go a bunchh of 90 degree turns in your duck i would say with an ambient temp of 70 you shouldnt go higher then 82 or lower so something cant be right[/quote]

There's only one 90* angle and I vent from the tent to my attic sry no pics yet I started a journal detAiling everything, last night shyt went awry in my tent so I'm going to redo it when I get off work do u have any journals? But yea help is appreciated when I upload pics, I really wanna get my temp dwn around 10 degrees