70w MH heat output..

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 967, Jul 10, 2011.

1. #1 967, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011
    Remote ballasted do they put out much heat? Do they outperform cfl's of similar watts? 6500k cfl's are a bitch to find for me and somewhat expensive :mad:

I have a small grow space of 2 square feet 2 1/2 ft high and it would probably be cheaper and easier to use one 70w mh and a couple of cfl's for veg rather than just cfl's but im wondering if i will run into heat problems..

thoughts?

2. I don't think it's economical, figure out how much you're spending per watt on the MH and compare it to what you'd spend on cfls. It's a small investment, but a waste of money, IMO. CFLs are dirt cheap and can be used anywhere in your house if you decide to upgrade later on.

6500k cfls $1.81
    ^that place is the cheapest I've found, HPS bulbs by the case, lol.

3. #3 967, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
    I live in New Zealand, i've only found one retailer that stocks 6500k cfl's they want over $8 a bulb and i need 6 :mad:

Pretty much every other retailer only stocks 2700k which you can get for under $4 a bulb..

What about a 70w hps with a couple 6500k for veg and 4 2700k for flower? hps bulb gotta be better for flower than cfl. Are all hps lights the same spectrum or does it vary like mh?

can get this fairly cheap http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/Other/auction-389872650.htm
    Just worried it might be completely wrong kind of light..

4. You could use that light, but it would put out something like 7,000 lumens,

5. I would get a 150 watt Hps or two 70's, if you can get 70w mh bulbs put them in for veg then witch to Hps for flower