T5's or 250 MH for mother and clones?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by gagaganja, Mar 14, 2011.

1. So i have been trying to decide If i should get two 2" 4 bulb t5 or use my 250w MH for my mother and clones?

Im not going to need very many clones so i will probably be doing a bonsai mother or two and have a couple clones when needed, Now I have the whole setup for the 250 already so I wouldn have to buy anything. This would be done in my closet since it is the only place that i have room.

So any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Florescent lighting will do just fine. Most folks don't need rapid growth from mums and the clones don't require much lighting. I just use a few 2' light bars. Very little colling is needed.

3. I was leaning towards the T5, Does anyone else second this?

4. I use a 2' T5 4 bulb fixture for my clones and mother plants. I am clearing out my moms when my grow box is done and keeping the T5 for just clones and seedlings, and using a 250w MH for my mother. T5 and mH get the job done either way, If you want accelerated growth use a mH if you want a slow paced grow use a T5...

It all varies on what kind of grow you are going for. If you want less cooling maintenance use the T5, if you want faster growth then use a MH just know you will need good ventilation and airflow. All in all it's about what you can manage. But all you really need for a mother plant is a T5 setup.

5. I recommend T5's. T5 work real well for veg and mothers.

6. Looks like I'm going with the T5. Do you guys suggest anybrands to get

7. I use a 4 tube t5 fixture from hydro farm....But I really haven't encountered a low quality t5 ever..Just browse through some specs on t5 lights and pick one that suites your grow the most.

8. In that case I'll look around and find the best deal

9. t5 zero heat issue

10. T5's alll the way. I use "2" 4ft 2 tube t'5s and I see very rapid veg growth.. Plus not having to run inline fans and that is a plus. And since the light isnt so intense I find my self having to water alot less..

11. thanks for the info ill let you all know when i make my choice

12. I have a veg room with 2 4' 6 lamp t5 lights and they heat my room up quick.
    I'm going to switch to 2 250 watt air cooled mh.
    I need more control over temps.

13. Yeah well thats alot of light brah, and i imagine it is in a smalll space? You could veg like 20 plants under those babys xD