What type bulb do street lights use?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Itsmeagain, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Anybody no what type bulbs the city street lights are? The street lights on the TALL steel poles. I no they could be HPS but i was wondering if anyone new for sure.
    And new for sure how to tell since its not written on the bulb it self. Does the transformer say what its for i wonder?

The reason i ask is, i no where one lays. :D

2. #2 BongPipeJoint, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
    The YELLOW/ORANGE ones are HPS.

The WHITE/BLUE ones are MH.

The GREENISH/PURPLE ones are MV.

I believe they use 600-100 watt bulbs in them if I'm not mistaken.

If you plan to steal street lights, don't do it. They are usually pretty old and worn out, and they're fairly cheap quality, thus not very good for growing plants. Plus, you could cause a safety hazard for motorists.

3. Thanks man! Color coded. :D
    These would be MH then.
    Not stealing it per say. It got ran over and knocked down. And looks like the housing is busted from the pole. Trash to the city. But stealing if a cop sees me get it.
    Figured the bulb busted to, but i haven't looked close yet. Figured the ballast would be good. Thinking there just over a year old.
    Not worth risking arrest though i guess.

4. They say you should replace your bulbs ever 6-8 months because they wear out.

I wouldn't risk it man. :D

Oh, and I meant the light coming from the bulbs are those colors, not the actual bulbs, sorry if I wasn't clear.

5. #5 Itsmeagain, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
    Nah you where clear. I couldn't think of another way of putting it.
    Had the chance to get a fixture from a gas station down the road but i didn't no how
    to tell what type it was. Could have looked at the other bulbs at night had i known this sooner.
    The owner would have most likely have given it to me. As it also got knocked over and bent up,broke the glass and all. The reflector inside was at least 2ft square. And as bright as the lot is lit at night id say it was a 1k to. :(
    I was thinking it might be a waste of time (or more junk to haul off) if it was the wrong kind or the transformer didn't survive the crash landing.
    Money is so tight lately, salvage will be the only way i get a HPS. MH would be ok. But man i want HPS.
    Maybe the Easter bunny will leave me one this year. LOL

6. "Not stealing per se" is also known as stealing... :rolleyes:

Don't try to rationalize it, just don't do it. Something also not mentioned here is that street lights that might be the right type for growing (MH, HPS, etc) still may not be the right spectrum for growing.

7. In the neighborhoods its 100watt hps and on the real busy streets its 250watt hps thats if they use the standard 30' pole which are most common and at a distance about 175' apart.They would be the iron core ballast not the Electronic, we use 1000 and 1500 watt metal halide for tennis courts and ball field lights

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sounds like a 250watt then. And worth more for scrap metal then flowering.
    Thanks for the info. You probley just saved me from another cursing, from the wife.
    Cause id have dragged one home sooner or later. And when i found out it wasn't what i wanted here it would have laid. :eek: