Kelvin Question!!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by seniorhoops, Nov 27, 2010.

1. I've a quick question, I've grown my 1st plant & I'm very happy with the results, so I'm going again, but I want more energy efficeint lighting.

I know you start them at 6000k or higher, I've sourced very efficient 19000k bulbs with the same lux levels as a decent MH, is 19,000K too high or the higher the better? (no pun intended)

again at flowering, I use a 2200k hps, if I can get something in a lower wattage and a high lux output, should I try to get them as far into the red spectrum as poss? 1000k maybe?

Also, for any lighting experts out there, theres a free programme that you can download, called Dialux.

Type dimensions of you grow space in, choose your light from massive online catalogue, and it'll calculate lux levels, it will tell you how many you need, the best dimensions to spread them out, and even account for reflection factors, on the walls, ceiling etc.

Takes a bit of playing around to get used to, but its worth it.

2. 19,000k is too high. 6500K is pretty good for veg growing. That 19,000K may be a good supplemental light for adding UV light to increase potency, but not as your primary light source. Then again, it will probably work.

3. grand, thanks. I'll use fluorscents @ 6500 and maybe 1 1900k tube.