Lumatek 400 won't light certain bulb ???

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Poindexterous, Nov 27, 2010.

1. So my new Lumatek 400 will light and run my Sylvania MH400 bulb every time perfectly, but with my Philips 400MH bulb it lit it just one day and since then would never light it again ?? YET, my old magnetic 400MH ballast will still light the Philips just fine ??

So I'm wondering if the Lumatek is bad and should be returned, or if the Philips bulb just wasn't up to the task and got.....altered somehow ???

Anyone know about this ?

Thanks !

2. The Phillips lamps run at a different frequency from what I have heard and seem to have bad compatibility with many digital ballasts. I would stick with the Sylvania lamp or get a Sun Pulse or Lumatek lamp for best results and compatibility.

3. Well that's good to know, I was more worried the ballast was faulty. The Philips bulb isn't anything special, just a regular one from home depot I use for mom's. I just assumed Philips was a good brand and would work. Good to know better. My Lumatek 1000's never failed with any bulb but I only use them with higher end horticultural bulbs. The guy at a ponics store told be not to use Hortilux 1000HPS bulbs with Lumatek's, but all others were ok ? I don't understand all these bulb/digi-ballast combatibility issues ? Oh well, one time isn't bad I guess...

Thanks!

4. I had same problem but with 250 watt phillips mh on my400 lumatek. I returned it got another not sure I should bring it back and get the other brand now, good to know I'm not only one

5. we had the same problem with 1000's from philips except they would run in the lumatek but not ggh.