Need light sorce. Help? Very new!!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by xDarknessx, Sep 14, 2010.

1. #1 xDarknessx, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
    Hi all, I'm just attempting 1 seed per pot in my closet. 3 pots. Have a hookup for a light, air circulation.

This is more just for fun than for anything else. Don't need "the best of the best." Just something affordable and decent.

I need a light bulb, and I have just a standard lightbulb socket. I have a CFL spiral 13W, but I don't think thats enough.

I found this bulb browsing on home depots website,

EcoSmart 30 Watt (120 Watt) Bright White 1 Pack - ES5M83035K at The Home Depot

Good enough for what I'm planning on doing? Too much light? Too Little? Suggestions for a light?

EDIT: Sorry, i realized this should be in the ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS section....

2. You got a lot of reading to do my friend, this kind of basic stuff is covered over and over all day long, we can't just keep answering the same basic questions. Remember:
    - the search button is your friend
    - sticky threads at the top of each forum are great resources
    - scroll down through a couple of pages of the forum, if you have a basic question it will undoubtedly have been discussed recently

For light you need a lot more than that. You want CFLs, fluoro tubes, or best of all HID. If CFLs (like the one you picked) you need a minimum of 100 actual watts per plant (that bulb is 30 actual watts, completely ignore the "equivalent" watts). You want 6500k daylight bulbs for vegging and 2700k warm white bulbs for flowering.

3. No, you need 6500k and 2700k. The same brand in the green and blue packages. They'll be labeled "daylight" (6500k) and "soft white" (2700k). If I'm not mistaken "bright white" is like 3500-4000k and out of the optimal range.

Get the 24/27w bulbs, should be labeled as 100/125w equivalents. You'll need two of each per plant for good results.

4. Skip the 24/27watters and get yourself a 3-pack of 6500k 42w CFLs (1 3-pack per plant), of course you'll also need 2700k 42w for when you flower them ;)

5. get the highest wattage you can find. Home depot sells 68 watt cfl bulbs @ 2700 color.