hps and autoflower question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by nuggetroaster1, Jul 24, 2010.

1. whats up everyone in a few months im planning on doing a pretty large scale autoflower grow. im hoping to fit around 30 or 40 plants in one room under one 1000 watt hps and possibly some cfls for the bottoms of the plants if necessary. so i was wondering if that would be enough light for that many autoflowers and if i would need a big ventilation system for the hps. thanks everyone for the help

2. General rule: 150 watts for the first plant, 75 watts for each of the others. Therefore you would need aprox. 3075 watts for 40 plants. I've got 3 Diesel ryders under a 400 watt hps.

3. i dont get it why would it be 150 for 1 and 75 for the rest? wouldnt they all need the same wattage? and also dont you think since they're autoflowers you could get away with using a lot less lighting

4. i just did the math and its looking like it would be around 8 by 8 feet of around 30 to 40 autoflowers so if a 1000 watt hps wouldnt be enough light how much do you think i would need

5. Auto flowers need just as much light as normal plants, the more the better. Another general rule is 5000 lumens per square foot is optimal, try not go below 2000 lumens per square foot. Find out how many lumens your bulb produces, then do the math. IMO, I think you need 3 1000 watt lights to get the best yield and bud possible.