Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Measure Falls Short By Roughly 3,000 Signatures

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by dolphingunblade, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Submit this story
    diggredditstumble

The Colorado Secretary of State's office determined that the "Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol" campaign fell short of the necessary amount of valid signatures, on Friday.
    While the campaign handed in nearly double the amount of the 86,105 signatures needed, it fell short by about 3,000 verifiable signatures. Last month the Secretary of State's office conducted a random sample of the signatures that showed only roughly 50 percent of the signatures handed in were valid. Colorado state law requires that a random signature sample meet a certain threshold of validity or it triggers an automatic review.
    According to a report by the Denver Post, supporters of Initiative 30 now have 15 days to collect the remaining 2,409 valid signatures to qualify for the November ballot.
    "This is just part of the process. We are confident that we collected more than enough valid signatures to make the ballot. This is why initiative campaigns collect so many more signatures than they need," Initiative 30 organizer Mason Tvert told the Colorado Independent just two weeks ago.
    In a statement today, Tvert said he remains confident about collecting the remaining signatures and called the announcement "just a very small bump in the road."
    The amendment seeks to make the personal use, possession and limited home-growing of marijuana legal for adults aged 21 and older. It establishes a system in which marijuana is regulated and taxed similarly to alcohol is currently. The act also would allow for the cultivation, processing, and sale of industrial hemp, according to the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol website.
    The Associated Press reports that if the measure makes it onto the 2012 ballot, which appears likely, the much more difficult road of convincing a majority of Coloradans to challenge a federal drug law, like this measure would do, is ahead.

go here for more info on were to get\sign to help them get the 3000 they need.
    Legalize 2012: Colorado Marijuana Legalization Ballot Initiative Campaign

2. Didn't large segments of signatures get confiscated and destroyed by law enforcement when people were out collecting signatures? Thought I read that? Probably, oh, 3K or signatures I'm guessing? :rolleyes:

3. Mason said it was no big deal, that they could easily get that number of signatures in that time. I really hope he's right. I find it real hard to believe that *half* of their signatures were bogus!

4. well they have 12 days, and with this makeing the news in a few sites im shure it will get a bunch of people to get off there ass and go sign it. \hint hint hint hint.

5. I bet colorado is the first to legalize bud....just a feeling though :p

6. i bet the day any state legalizes weed and everyone else finds out, people everywhere are gonna be lightin up for that shit
    i know i will.

7. I feel kinda discrouraged and frustrated after reading the comments sections of different articles reporting on the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Measure. It seems like they're going to have the same situation happen that prevented Proposition 19 from being successful in California. Everybody is too worried about how regulated it is going to be if the measure passes. My opinion is that any form of legalization, even the most heavily regulated, is better than the current laws. If people don't like it, then just vote on another measure in years to come that change the regulations for the better. One step at a time.

8. So there's less than two weeks left to make up the difference...

If you have 420 friends in CO, it's a good time to check in with them and casually enquire as to whether they've signed or not. ;)

Can't vote for it, if it's not on the ballot!

9. Do we know if they think they've met the required amount?

10. as far as i know they havnt made any announcments since it was relesed that they fell short, but i could have just missed it if they have said something.

11. [quote name='"Berry"']I feel kinda discrouraged and frustrated after reading the comments sections of different articles reporting on the Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Measure. It seems like they're going to have the same situation happen that prevented Proposition 19 from being successful in California. Everybody is too worried about how regulated it is going to be if the measure passes. My opinion is that any form of legalization, even the most heavily regulated, is better than the current laws. If people don't like it, then just vote on another measure in years to come that change the regulations for the better. One step at a time.[/quote]

Thats alot of the problem right there. Most people i know who smoke dont want it legalized because of all the regulations and what not. They say things like "oh its gonna cost 20 a pack", "the govt is gonna add chemicals", etc. I find alot of the people against it are very misinformed. The 20 a pack statement is a perfect example of misinformation. It was never said that cannabis would be sold in packs and the govt wont be growing the majority of it, so the added chemicals is false as well. Its one small step towards legalization. People need educated properly or we will have more on-the-fence voters. People must realize the govt will have no real control over the manufacture of it, they dont as it is. It gets taxed and we dont get thrown in jail.

12. Nah it's cool. When they get caught and find out how much a minor possession charge fucks up their life they will wish they would have voted for it.

13. #15 benthamj49, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
    Yeah most of these people don't understand the one small step at a time, and even further, they should just grow it themselves if they're worried about chemical additives.

Any updates on this? I couldn't find any news articles and I'm really hoping Colorado gets this together. If we can get a few states (3-4) to pose this question on the ballot and get at least one to pass it, this question will finally become a nationwide issue because there will be hard evidence that 50% or more of the voters in a state say enough is enough.

On another slightly related note, I'm so tired of the medical marijuana initiative push because it isn't really part of one of those small steps. Medical is great and all for medical patients, but it fucks the system for true legalization, which allows everyone to use this great herb. If this gets moved to a Schedule II, where pharmaceuticals can get their hand on it, good luck ever getting it legalized for anyone to use, in my opinion. This herb will become so profitable, no lobby will be able to grab it from their hands. And I think I even heard that as a legal Schedule II prescription, there is a required single-issue prescription that must be refilled by doctors, and would not allow personal cultivation. Sounds fucked to me, nothing like the current medical system... Long story short, legalize recreational first or it may become a steeper uphill battle.

14. Thats another problem is pushing for medical. First and foremost we shouldnt even be discussing this about a plant that grows in the wild and is harmless. Secondly, people think medical is better looking than recreational. You say medical and how it cures ailments, you have a crowd of listeners. You say it should be recreationally legal and we want to be able to smoke whenever, you just lost a big audience. People need educated more directly about cannabis. Thats the bottom line.

15. Any updates? I hope they got the sigs.

16. Not going to happen