Need Help Reading Law. CA - 390

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by KatanaMan, Jul 17, 2009.

1. #1 KatanaMan, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
    Hello grasscity. I grow for myself and my friends. Nothing serious. I do not sell nor do anything violent. Just a peaceful man who likes to sit down and just do nothing.

I'm a speculator, planning on being a cultivator in California and I plan to start buying equipment. I want to do this right and legal (at least in the state of california).

My simple question is this. If marijuana becomes legal in the state of California, what is the process from beginning to end from seed to plant to buyer?

Ive already done some research. Since I already know where to get seeds, I'm off to a good start already. According to the Bill, I can grow at home, no more than 10 mature plants, and a 5000 dollar fee for a license, which I am saving for right now. I have a Zero Criminal record, not even a misdemeanor, and buying a security system to protect my crop.

Now for some advanced questions.

Does that mean I cannot sell marijuana in California until it is legalized by the federal government?

Does that mean I gotta live in a dry house?

Heres a link.

AB 390 Assembly Bill - INTRODUCED

2. #2 amsterdamage, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
    that doesn't sound good!

...no more than 10 mature plants, and a 5000 dollar fee for a license???
    You have to pay five grand and you can only grow ten stupid plants?? wtf?!!

That is way too few plants!! If this bill is that restrictive it'll force the price of legal marijuana up so high that people won't even bother buying it. They'll still buy from the street and that defeats the whole purpose of making it legal! :confused_2:

3. That's fucking ridiculous.

So it aims to put growing in the hands of corporations basically?

4. are you fucking kidding me. you have to pya 5000 for growing it. fuck that. what the hell. whats the point of making it legal if you can only have 10 plants and have to pay that much money to the assholes that run this country

5. the $5000 is for commerical growth only

"As introduced, AB 390 would not impose taxation or licensing requirements on the non-commercial production of cannabis (up to ten mature plants), or on the not-for-profit distribution of pot. Further, the bill would not alter existing legislation on the use of medicinal cannabis, nor would it impose new taxes or sanctions on the medical cultivation of cannabis."

California Tax Board Says Regulating Commercial Pot Sales Would Yield $1.4 Billion Annually — Also Predicts Decline in Use of Booze and Tobacco | NORML Blog

6. I'd fuckin pay it in a heartbeat!

To the OP. If you're seriouslly looking at starting a grow operation, that strictly adhears to all CA laws, I'd suggest you hire an lawyer who specalizes in cannabis to make sure all your paperwork conforms to the letter of the law.

7. Oh wow I thought that this law was studied heavily. . .

Yea. That means I cant go really big until its truly legalized by the federal government.

But I always thought that its intent would limit the amount of marijuana on the streets and create a minimum quality. People would be forced to grow only medical quality marijuana. Thats why Im starting to buy grow equipment now since its probably going to run me $1000 per cabinet. I havent truly calculated it, but my own setup is worth like 400$. But I also gotta buy some solar panels and CO2 welding tanks.

What also sucks is that I gotta pay 50 dollars an ounce.

Fuck yea.

Thats another couple grand though. Thats why I plan to ask here first, develop a plan, Then go to the lawyers.

8. Better to pay that before having an incident with a leo.

9. I was planning on reading this bill this afternoon but got side tracked by the board. Hopefully I will get around to it tomorrow and will make a thread breaking it down. But I'm very bad at long boring legal documents so we will see how well that works out.

I'm pretty much just posting this to subscribe so I remember to come back to try to answer your questions.

10. I tried reading it and there is just way too much to give a good enough break down of it. You are just going to have to read it yourself. The regulation on the business side is very in depth.

11. uh...If I had a sealed room with only 10 plants I'd be easily pulling a half pound from each.....what do you need more than 5 pounds for if you're not trying to play pablo escobar buddy?

12. That's exactly what it means. However, I wouldn't sweat it. The bill WILL be changed to alter that provision now that the President has said he will leave these issues to the individual States. It hasn't been changed yet, but it will before the final bill is passed. Don't sweat this articular point.

It is crucially important to remember that bills almost NEVER get through both houses of any assembly unchanged. Someone will say something like "I would vote for it if contained a rider that 5% of the taxes collected must go to inner city education" and that would get added to gain the vote. Don't look at any bill other than a loose guideline; they are not written in stone until they get passed into law. :) This particular bill will likely be filled with amendments to buy the necessary votes in the legislative houses.

jim

13. What the fuck are you talking about?

14. Bruce Margolin is a good marijuana defense lawyer if you're looking for one.

I've only gone over the whole law once in the past but it was months ago so I can't recall much of the more in depth stuff.

15. I read this entire law thoughroughly. I already broke down the law and summarized it with the exception of the questions I put. The majority of the law is removing the word Marijuana and its penalties from existing California law, then adding regulations and standards to regulate the industry.

I am extremely surprised that nobody has even broke down the law like this. Now I am afraid that this bill wont pass because it doesnt even legalize weed. It only creates a law that goes with existing federal law.

16. It's really not that big a deal. You have to test the waters, and Ammiano knows that. You start the discussion, get people talking, and the bill will be changed to allow as many people to sign on and get as much money into the CA coffers as possible. The bill will definitely be changed to take out the provision waiting for Federal legalization, and likely 10 other ways as well. No bill ever gets passed as written.

If you want to be afraid of something, don't be afraid this won't pass, be afraid it will pass as is. That would be worse; as it would rely on the Feds to move first and move boldly on behalf of personal freedoms - something they aren't very good at.

17. hi, first time here... registered just to hear news like this. how depressing. what about the typical small intake person who can't get it (illegally or otherwise) and just wants a freakin joint now and then? will it cost a bazillion dollars? that's MY fear. what's the point? wah. (although i'm all for it for the sake of california's economy going down the tubes - yes, i live there, lol)...

:wave: