MAD COW DISEASE!!! (an opportunity for legalizing)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Storm Crow, Apr 25, 2012.

1. #1 Storm Crow, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
    Are you willing to be an activist? Do a little (easy) work to help get cannabis legal? This news article, or ones like it, will be soon be showing up in your local online paper.

Mad Cow Case Confirmed in California

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mad-cow-case-confirmed-california-190915437.html

Horrible as that headline is, this could be a golden opportunity for cannabis activists! I have translated an abstract of a study that shows that the #2 chemical in cannabis, cannabidiol (CBD), slows diseases like Mad Cow Disease! :eek:

Please comment in your local news. Tell the people what cannabis can do, besides get you high! :smoke: Once the medical facts are known, the need for legalization becomes obvious!

Nonpsychoactive Cannabidiol Prevents Prion Accumulation and Protects Neurons against Prion Toxicity
    (full - 2007) Nonpsychoactive Cannabidiol Prevents Prion Accumulation and Protects Neurons against Prion Toxicity

Prion diseases are transmissible neurodegenerative disorders characterized by the accumulation in the CNS of the protease-resistant prion protein (PrPres), a structurally misfolded isoform of its physiological counterpart PrPsen.

Prion diseases are catchable, nerve and brain-destroying illnesses that are caused by a twisted, mutated form of a naturally found protein.

Both neuropathogenesis and prion infectivity are related to PrPres formation.

Both the destruction of neurons and actually getting a prion disease, like Mad Cow Disease (MCD) are caused by the multiplying of prions.

Here, we report that the nonpsychoactive cannabis constituent cannabidiol (CBD) inhibited PrPres accumulation in both mouse and sheep scrapie-infected cells, whereas other structurally related cannabinoid analogs were either weak inhibitors or noninhibitory.

Here we report that cannabidiol (CBD), a chemical that CAN’T get you high even though it is found in marijuana, slowed down the accumulation of prions in cells infected with the mouse and sheep versions of Mad Cow Disease, but the other cannabinoids just didn’t work, or barely worked.

Moreover, after intraperitoneal infection with murine scrapie, peripheral injection of CBD limited cerebral accumulation of PrPres and significantly increased the survival time of infected mice.

Also, when we infected mice with mouse MCD, we gave them some injections of CBD and this cut down on the number of prions in their brains and this significantly increased their lifespans!

Mechanistically, CBD did not appear to inhibit PrPres accumulation via direct interactions with PrP, destabilization of PrPres aggregates, or alteration of the expression level or subcellular localization of PrPsen.

CBD didn’t stop the accumulation of prions in any of the ways that we expected it to work!
    However, CBD did inhibit the neurotoxic effects of PrPres and affected PrPres-induced microglial cell migration in a concentration-dependent manner.

But somehow, CBD is stopping the brain cells from dying due to the poisonous effects of the prions and it affects the migration of “clean-up crew” microglial cells to the affected areas – and heavier doses work better!

Our results suggest that CBD may protect neurons against the multiple molecular and cellular factors involved in the different steps of the neurodegenerative process, which takes place during prion infection.

Our results show that CBD protects the nerve and brain cells against various factors that cause the death of brain cells and nerves that occurs when Mad Cow Disease strikes!
    When combined with its ability to target the brain and its lack of toxic side effects, CBD may represent a promising new anti-prion drug.

When combined with its ability to get into the brain (when many drugs can’t), and its lack of toxic side effects (translation- it won’t get you high or kill you), CBD may be our best bet for a safe, anti- prion medicine!

More articles about CBD vs Mad Cow Disease-

Recent News: Marijuana (Cannabis) May Prevent Mad Cow Disease
    (news - 2007) Mad Cow Disease Facts, News, and Humor - EvilMamaCow Homepage

Cannabidiol May be Effective in Preventing Bovine Spongiforme Enzephalopathy (Mad Cow Disease) (news - 2007) AAMC: Cannabidiol may be effective in preventing bovine spongiforme enzephalopathy (mad cow disease)

Pot Compound Protective Against ‘Mad Cow’ Disease, Other Fatal Brain Disorders, Study Says (news - 2007) Pot Compound Protective Against

Pot smoking could stop Mad Cow Disease? (news - 2008)
    Pot smoking could stop Mad Cow Disease? | ChattahBox News Blog

There is no cure for Mad Cow Disease. You get it by eating infected meat. It does not show up for YEARS! It is 100% fatal! CNN is showing video of a young woman dying of MCD- it is not pretty to watch. :(

If injections of CBD slow the prions in a dose related manner, does this mean that HUGE doses of CBD could STOP the prions completely? (You can't say "kill" since they are not really "alive") Could people infected with MCD live normal lives with CBD therapy and not deteriorate into mindless, dying, cripples?

Nobody knows, because research with natural cannabis is all but forbidden. I for one, do not wish to have our researcher wait until we have a MCD epidemic on our hands (like we did with AIDS). Let's get cannabis legal by educating everyone about what it does!

Granny :wave:

2. You're a genius Grandma!

3. well now...this could be interesting...I can see it now, 'medicated' cows all over California...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsu_bZ-9Srk]I like to Moo - Extended version - YouTube[/ame]

:p

4. If only our lawmakers relied on things like science.

5. U mean if they didn't and realied on nature.

6. Uh, no i mean what I said. Thanks though.

7. Dudes, sometimes those politicians DO listen! Even bone-headed republicans can be convinced! :eek:

Medical marijuana legalization getting new life at Statehouse - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register

\tIllinois House Republican leader Tom Cross' change of heart could mean a change in the prospects for medical marijuana in Illinois.

\tCross, R-Oswego, had opposed the legislation in the past, but changed his mind after hearing from constituents and members of the medical community, spokeswoman Sara Wojcicki said.

Here's their addresses! Send them a letter or two about Mad Cow- I bet NONE of them know about this! You know what cannabis can do! You can educate them! :hello:

Contact Elected Officials | USA.gov

Go for it!

8. I have shown this cynical bent in a few other threads; sorry , I do not mean to offend. I do not seriously think the public needs to associate marijuana with another hysteria; they already can't distinguish fact from falsehood and just putting marijuana in the same sentence as Mad Cow Disease would further tarnish it's image. The same twisted rationale that defends it's prohibition does not acknowledge the positive benefits that are so obvious to all.

9. Marijuana as a safer alternative to anti depressants (those who need anti depressant's are weak)
    Marijuana as an anti-emetic for chemotherapy (they have synthesized the active drug so you don't need to smoke. . . That is the most twisted and hypocritical statement I've ever heard used; acknowledgement of therapeutic application while continuing to support prohibition)
    Marijuana for pain relief (they're just looking for an excuse to get high)
    The logic is inescapable (the rebuttal is illogical)

10. #10 Storm Crow, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
    If we do nothing, we are certain to fail!

You can sit there and be cynical, but I am going to DO something about the problem! I will not just stand by and let people continue in ignorance!

I will educate them, one by one, if need be! I have already posted the needed information in one paper, and will post it in others later today! If I open the mind of even one person, I have succeeded!

I am not going to quit- but you, my friend, already have. You sound like life has defeated you! :( I am sorry that you don't believe enough something to "fight the good fight"! I hope, someday, you will find whatever it is that you need to feel passion again.

And I totally disagree with your premise that associating cannabis and Mad Cow disease is a bad thing- you just need to add the words "POSSIBLE CURE" and it all changes! :eek: This is just what we need to change people's perception of cannabis from a "party drug" to a serious medicine!

11. From all ive read grandma and i wish i had someone like you in my life i would have probably been a better person and more helpful but for what it's worth ive read alot of your stuff on other forums aswell as this one.You truly are a hero for many ty for your time and hard work.

I just wanted to point out to you from all ive read and researched the left right parties are all a trick, democrats and republicans show publicly what people want to see,diffrent people with diffrent thought's on how to run things.well back when u were 20 this was probbaly true but in this day and age it seems there all playing the american public into believeing that there is a diffrence between them but they all go to the same parties they all go to the same bars alot of them go to the same churches and rallies most if not all of them vote the same way when it comes to taking away our right's and freedoms.Since you know how corrupt are government is and you know how often they lie to you Please keep on reading alternative media.dont believe everything you hear but keep on reading and click on thier links and slowly it will become harder and harder to ignore what's really going on.ty for your time

12. I admire your optimism and applaud your determination; cowardice and complacency are indeed my greatest stumbling blocks. Today you have succeeded in opening my mind to the power of hope.

13. My cynicism is fueled by the anger and frustration of 40 years worth of smoking and hoping that the light of rationalization would go on above the heads of my elected government, only to see them continue to chase their tail. 40 years and there is no counting how many lives have been negatively impacted by this "War on Drugs"; children growing up in fractured homes, the potential lost by so many lives wasted in jail, the money thrown away and outright stolen by paramilitary organizations like the DEA that have sprung up, and the reign of terror they hold over the lives of otherwise law abiding citizens.
    I really hope you continue your mission to change minds.

14. #14 runthistown18, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
    nah...They won't legalize weed over some little mad cow disease.
    Im all for it being legalize but that would just be weird.

15. MOOOOO that's the coolest thing i have heard in a long time !

16. Date line Washington: A massive car bomb exploded outside the headquarters of the DEA this morning. Other explosions were reported at DEA offices around the country. The administration has ordered a news blackout of this story but reports continue to surface on you-tube and twitter. Homeland Security issued a statement blaming the explosions on terrorists and vowed to punish the perpetrators to the full extent of the law.....

17. You're kind of missing the point. We don't expect the government to legalize cannabis because it might cure mad cow disease. This is simply another opportunity for us to throw it in their faces about the healing benefits of the plant they've labeled public enemy number one. It's another opportunity for us to alert the media, and the public, that where Big Pharma fails, there's a nontoxic answer in the form of a plant that just might heal you. The more opportunities we take advantage of to inform the people we vote for, and our friends and neighbors, and any interested stranger about the good things about cannabis, the more we make our federal government look like lying assholes. If you believe in the cause, you should never waste an opportunity, and this one is golden as far as I'm concerned.