Afghanistan's U.S.-Funded Counter-Narcotics Tribunal Convicts Nearly All Defendants

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Labido, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Afghanistan's U.S.-Funded Counter-Narcotics Tribunal Convicts Nearly All Defendants, Records Show

KABUL, Afghanistan -- On a recent Tuesday morning, Ahmad Kazim, a 29-year-old Iranian, found himself sitting in a suspect box in a white-walled room, awaiting a trial for drug trafficking.

Three months ago, Kazim was busted driving across the border from western Afghanistan to Iran, in a car stuffed with more than 28 kilos of opium. Kazim says he had no idea it was in there: A friend had asked him to drive some bags of rice across and he never inspected the packages. Prosecutors said the drugs were concealed in dozens of small canisters throughout the car, indicating obvious planning.

Because the contraband weighed more than 10 kilos, Afghan law mandated that Kazim's case be transferred across the country to the only court in the nation that deals with major narcotics cases, the U.S.-funded Counter-Narcotics Tribunal, in Kabul.

What the hell?

2. where the fuck did wikileaks go.

3. Drugs are worth more when illegal. Black market and regulated market. And its a huge excuse to take away civil rights.

Bunch of horseshit if you ask me.

4. what i want to know is, why is the US even involved in this shit? this is in KABUL! let their drugs roam, who cares.

5. Americans plan to rule the world not just the nation..

6. This might be shocking news, however, America invests into a country that it's helping rebuild.

The Taliban used drugs to finance their government before America even had a problem with them.

funny thing is, America is the first country in the world that has had the power to conquer the world however it doesn't. That's what sets America apart from Rome, Greece, Mongolians, Britain.

7. I admire the patriotism but not really that true is it?

8. [quote name='"l Palm trees l"']

This might be shocking news, however, America invests into a country that it's helping rebuild.

The Taliban used drugs to finance their government before America even had a problem with them.

funny thing is, America is the first country in the world that has had the power to conquer the world however it doesn't. That's what sets America apart from Rome, Greece, Mongolians, Britain.[/quote]

This guy got it right. I don't see anything wrong with going after people producing opium, meth and other hardcore drugs. Those drugs are actually dangerous and need to be illegal. Marijuana on the other hand...

9. [quote name='"screenmagic"']

I admire the patriotism but not really that true is it?[/quote]

Please explain yourself?

10. They may be dangerous, but prohibition is still not a viable option. When there is a demand for a product that is not available through regulation then black markets will always rise up to provide that product to the people who want it. This is a fundamental law of the universe and has proven to be true without exception. Meth, coke, opium, gambling, prostitution, alcohol, cannabis. It doesn't matter what it is, black markets will provide it and black markets, due to their violent and ruthless nature always does more harm to society than the product itself ever could. Mexico is proof of this.

And now that the age of home chemistry and designer drugs has begun, anyone with any knowledge of a bit of chemistry, precursors and receptors can make a drug that in theory does whatever they want and circumvents prohibition laws. This is why bath salts exist.

Prohibition is not a healthy option for society. Never was, never will be.

11. There is absolutely no reason for a drug like meth to be legal. Also the demand for those unmetionables are very small compared to the demand for stuff like marijuana.

12. Yes, there is a reason for it to be legal, and that's that violent black markets cause more harm to society than the availability of the drug would. Fact. It's not like there's millions of people thinking "oh man, I wish that these unmentionables were legal so I could use them!" We're adults and we don't need a nanny government to tell us what is good and bad for us. We can make that decision ourselves.

Plus meth is a legally prescribed drug. Tons of people get it from their doctors already.

13. [quote name='"travilanche"']Yes, there is a reason for it to be legal, and that's that violent black markets cause more harm to society than the availability of the drug would. Fact. It's not like there's millions of people thinking "oh man, I wish that these unmentionables were legal so I could use them!" We're adults and we don't need a nanny government to tell us what is good and bad for us. We can make that decision ourselves.

Plus meth is a legally prescribed drug. Tons of people get it from their doctors already.[/quote]

Not there are amphetamines that people take everyday. Very very few people are prescribed actual "meth". That meth that people are prescribed isn't made of battery acid and benadryl.

14. Which is why I am saying prohibition is more harmful than regulation. If it was made available on a regulated level it wouldn't be made using those things.

15. [quote name='"travilanche"']Which is why I am saying prohibition is more harmful than regulation. If it was made available on a regulated level it wouldn't be made using those things.[/quote]

Yes but a drug as destructive and evil as meth, will never in my mind be ok to legalize. Stuff like x, coke I can understand legalizing. But meth, never.

16. It's no more dangerous than alcohol.

17. morphine, heroin

amphetamines, methamphetamine.

where do you draw the line and why?

There comes a point where you have to step back and say "liberty". Freedom for all to do what they want. Education would obviously be important here. And im not talking about propaganda either, im talking about full blown education, scientific, biological, chemistry education on drugs for everybody to show how more dangerous heroin and meth is to other opiates and amphetamines.

Prohibition is NOT the answer.

18. Setting up colonies of military bases and pouring money into certain political parties in various regions across the globe is [pretty much the exact same thing, just a tad more tame than traditional colonialism. You might want to do a little more research on the matter.

Getting High on Scorpions: The Afghan Drug War

Drug Freedom Works in Portugal

The Surprisingly Low Addiction Rates of Crack, Heroin, and Meth

The Addictive Personality and the Non-Randomness of Addiction

Educate yourself, drug prohibition doesn't work and does much more harm than good. That includes meth prohibition. Do you think everyone just going to start using meth if it were to be legalized?

19. ^Yes, education is very important in a regulated system. What we consider education now is a cop coming to talk to you when you're in 4th grade and saying "Don't do it because it is bad for you and if you do it we will find you and make you pay!". With human nature being anti-authoritarian this is a very poor system.

20. [quote name='"travilanche"']It's no more dangerous than alcohol.[/quote]

Not at all. Meth destroys your body way faster than alcohol.