Do I have a chance ? or should I stop now ? HEAT!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by FYL, May 3, 2010.

1. #1 FYL, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
    Well ..

heres the story ..

ITS TOO FUCKING HOT.

IS IT A GUARANTEED DEAL THAT MY FEMALES WILL TURN HERMIE IF THEY ARE IN HOT WEATHER / ENVIRONMENT ?

its about 90-95 degrees in my closet with the lights on.
    with the lights off, its just about 10 degrees cooler.

i do not have A/C .
    i cannot purchase an A/C .

3 plants, close to 1 month into flowering.
    1 400w hps (non-aircooled)
    4ft wide/2ft deep/7ft tall closet
    in a 10x10ft room ?
    its hot.

how can i keep my temps down yo ?

i cannot open the window in the room, its directly across from a neighbor's window, so if i open mine, i risk him seeing DIRECTLY into my closet.

fuck my life ?
    OOOORR
    keep going ?
    should i be watering more often ?

im also seeing drooping bottom leafs

2. #2 Dankafied, May 3, 2010
    Buy a water cooled light...theres no way to install a window ac? dude just install a 8,000BTU window ac then all you gotta do is put up some of that black/white plastic over the window, cut around the window ac and tape another piece of plastic right above the ac so that you can cover the ac when its lights out

3. hmmm .. im sure there is...
    but the thing is ..

i dont have the $$$ for any kind of AC
    i dont have the $$$ to pay for any EXTRA wattage (window A/C would run my bill up a million dollars)

its just a fucked up situation.
    i hate being broke.

4. Mary Jane will make you break ur pockets from time to time...

5. get a credit card, go to wal-mart, get a 99 dollar window unit. they have thermostats just set it high if power use is an issue.

IMO you're wasting your time and effort with it that hot in there.

6. damn man ..

ima cut the lights off when it gets too hot i guess

i guess less light in the 12 hour light cycle is better than high heat.

slower growth > hermied buds IMO

7. I dunno. I keep mine under 80, but I am not sure I would fuck with the lights to do it.

So your place has no air at all? Or is it just crappy? If it runs at all you could duct directly from a vent.

You could put them into flower and run the lights at night and find a way to blow in fresh air from outside.

8. #8 Dankafied, May 3, 2010
    that 400w in a closet will get hot at night too...or...you can down grade ur light to a UFO led, t5 fixture or a bunch of cfls, either way ur gonna have to break bread. ive grown 3 plants from start to finish with a 6 bulb 300w t5 fixture and produced awsome results. was able to move the grow out of the closet and into the room cuz i blacked out the window with black/white plastic. also put a oscillating fan to keep air flow. you have options.

9. I am going to agree with Dankafied, go and get yourself a cheapo AC unit at Wal-Mart.

You don't even have to use black and white plastic to cover the window. You can just use the box that the AC came in, just tape it over the window so that the cardboard overlaps the frame by an inch or so, so that no light leaks around the edge.

I recommend painting or otherwise coloring the outward facing side black, it makes it less noticeable from the outside.

If that isn't going to work, then you might try venting the closet to another room. If you own your place, or have permission to do modifications, then you could put a ducted exhaust fan in one of the walls (near the top of the grow room) and vent some of the heat to a room that doesn't share a door with the closet. Mind you, you then have to do something about the other hot room, but you can open windows etc in that room without the neighbor seeing anything he shouldn't.

I guess if you don't own/have permission to modify, you could always just put the fan in the closet door near the top, then vent into the room the closet is in and open the window to get rid of the heat. That way, all you have to replace is a closet door when ever you move out, but you do have to keep your closet door closed at all times this way.

If $99.00 for an AC is too much, then the $25.00 or so that a ducted fan will cost at Home Depot, + the $3.00 for a cord to attach to it, should be much more within your budget.

Anyways, just a couple of ideas to consider, unfortunately problems typically cost money to solve. :eek:

10. well you can switch out the light. i have a fridge converted into an op and i had my 400 hps in the bloom area and it was super retarded hot. had to switch to LED if i still was gonna use the fridge for an op. or since you havent cooled ur bulb yet do that. you can also make a heat barrier which is basically the same idea as cooling the bulb.

if you wanna do the window and your worried about your neighbors view just fashion a vent of some sort to some wood that fits perfectly into the window. i post pics of my shit so you can see what i mean

Attached Files:

11. if AC is not an option, you could just start flowering today and have extra 6hrs of cool time....

other than that, if you are hitting 90-95 with lights on and 80-85 with lights off, its not that bad... if it's 90F with lights on and 80F with lights off, it's really not that bad...

not ideal but it's not like you are going above 100... but make sure to have a good fan in there with such temperatures...

12. if you cant afford a/c you could always get one of those 2-way window fans

set one side to exhaust and one side to blow in. this will circulate the air in the room with outside air dropping your temps significantly without a major increase in electric.

they usually run between $20and50

13. i got 1 2 way window fan
    and another one, but only 1 of the fans works ..

it helps a little bit, if they wernt in there, it would be 95+++ eeeeeasy, it gets 93-ish with em in there.

idk, ima just let em grow how they grow.
    i said fuck it lastnight and shut em off 4 hours early... figured it would b better doing that then letting the rest of the leafs get all fucked up and drooopy.

after i watered em, i turned the lights off, look in there today, and they look better lol, the leafs sprung back up and shit.. i think i'll be good.

i just do not want any hermies..

14. dude with temps at 93 ur seriously running the risk for a lot of problems. plants cant take heat of 90-110 degrees (outside) but in a confined space its like being smothered. I hope everything works out for you. good luck!

15. thanks alot dude

im just doing the best with what i got.

i kinda jumped into this thing will the rest of my money ..
    didnt really think , "fuck, summer is coming......."

ima finish what i started, next time, ill be in Colorado .. temps are easier to control there , or if i stay here, ill just remember what happened last time. lol.

16. dude mybad, i meant to say that plants can* take temps of 90-110 outside...im highly medicated right now :smoking:

17. so what kind of ventilation are you running in the cab itself?

18. can you place a fan..like a case fan directly into the roof of your cabinet blowing out. it will pull alot of heat into the room then you can use other fans to push it out the window Radio shack should have the fan for about 20 bucks. it might take a couple and you will need to duct them to control the light comming through. but it can be done.....

19. I grew dank in a closet breaking 95degrees with the lights on, the flowering took like 10-11 weeks (2 extra weeks or so) but it came out fine.

Also.. shutting off the lights '4 hours early' is going to be the thing to make them go hermie, not the temperature.

Good luck

20. iv read somewhere on this website that an accidental light mess up (NOT EXTRA LIGHT, BUT LESS) will not cause it to go hermie.