Distilled or Tap Water?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HansMoleman, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Do most people use Distilled water? Some people seem to say distilled while others don't seem to specify...does it matter?

2. Distilled has a good PH, and has no chlorine or some of the things that tap water comes with that can harm your plant.
    When using tap water you have to let it sit out 24-48 hours before using it, distilled you can use right away due to its purity.

3. I use purified not distilled because distilled still contains minerals and metals .

I only use purified water from those big machines you see in front of the grocery store and places like that. 5 gallons is only $2.50 at most places.

I only use tap in emergencies but even before I use that, I aerate it with a fish pump and air stone for at least 24 hours to release all of the chlorine. If you buy a $25 Water Filter for your kitchen sink those work great to make tap water much safer to use, but you still want to aerate as well.

4. The PH on tap water is usually wrong and it will hurt your plants, you can use it, but check the PH levels, and get rid of the chlorine or your bud will taste like it.
    I use rain water and bottled water during the summer; I also get the big 5 gallon containers, $3.50 for the refill.

5. I have found that Crystal Springs brand water combined with my General Hydroponics nutes makes the perfect PH level! I never adjust my PH or even check it anymore. Plant is looking dank sofar after a month! Dont use tap...The Crystal springs is like $1.25 per gallon though but I only have one plant...

6. comes down to more preference than anything and the only reason I might use bottled water is if my tap water was excessively bad as far as ph and mineral content. If you got good tap water use it, it is free for the most part.

7. hey buddy, i think you got that backwards. distilled water has NOTHING in it. purified water (unless, you're talking about R.O. water) still has stuff in it. i've bought purified water that had a ppm of up to 100 ppm. distilled water has ZERO ppm.

on the other hand, distilled water's LACK of minerals can be a bad thing, and many say it requires additives like "hydroguard" and "calmag" and "liquid karma" to introduce normally occurring minerals as well as essential micronutrients (of which there are negligible amounts in regular N-P-K- nutrient products) to the water/food.

i always use distilled, but i have used filtered water as well. the best tools you could have for consistent results are a ph meter and a ppm/tds/ec meter. they don't lie and you'l know much better what you're putting into your plant.

8. You can't make generalizations about tap water (except to say that you can't make generalizations). Tap water varies, that's the problem. In some places it's fine to use while in others it will kill a plant. In some places pH is whacked while in others the sediments and metals and such are too heavy.

You should be able to filter your tap water and use it no worries, might need to adjust pH but will save you on buying water.