Mercury Poisoning From Cfls

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by skinny ninja, Apr 17, 2014.

1. #1 skinny ninja, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    tl;dr: Mercury can be leaked from high wattage CFLs (microscopic cracks) and will cause you to get Mercury poisoning. Don't use those large CFLs. A lot of smaller watt CFLs is safer than one 200w bulb.

Anyone ever experience this problem? I'm taking more about personal health of the grower rather than the plants.
    I've been growing under CFLs for about 5 months. Two bulbs, a 125w for veg and a massive 200w CFL for flowering (yes that's actual wattage). My neck has felt a little swollen on the side for the past few months, but I figured it was a muscle. Well for the past month my lymph nodes have swelled up like crazy and there is a very visible bump on my neck. This just happens to be roughly the same time I started flowering my plants with the big 200w CFL. Went to the doctor, got antibiotics, finished them and it's still there. The doctor was confused as to why.
    I started researching and found many articles that stated a connection between mercury poisoning to swollen lymph nodes. CFL lights are known to emit tons of mercury if broken, but I also read a study where 8 out of 10 CFL bulbs leak mercury through tiny cracks. I grow in my bedroom closet, so i'm constantly being exposed to the environment. Anyone else have more info on this?

I'm tempted to just shut everything down to see if the swelling stops, but i'd hate to waste this run for nothing if i'm wrong. I'm literally half way through flowering.

2. After some more research, ive found that the Mercury turns to a vapor when CFLs are turned on. Also, CFLs below 23w have a negligible amount of Mercury, but nobody studies these huge 100w+ CFLs used for growing. My guess is they are filled with a ridiculously high amount of Mercury, which is dangerous for the grower.

The vapor is being leaked through microscopic cracks. The Mercury particles then settle onto the colas of the plant, and when you smoke the harvest you inhale the particles. I quit smoking the last harvest and unplugged all my equipment, and from what I can tell my lymph nodes are shrinking. Too soon to tell just quite yet though.

3. Wow! Once i tought same, i get light headache when using all 150w wit like 7bulbs... So i have screwed them off, but maybe they got cracked somehow little bit...

4. I suppose it's possible. I've grown under those bulbs and since moved on but I never noticed any problems in my health.

Not to ask a question you may have already considered, but what else are you using to grow as far as fertilizers and the like? There are a lot of factors but the fact that there is a significant amount of mercury is concerning. I'll have to look into this more.

5. #5 GoldGrower, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    If and that's a big if, your symptoms are caused by any growing equipment then you are still just making an assumption that it's the CFLs. From what you have said I'm far from convinced.

I have been growing with 125w CFLs for around 8 or 9 years and have experienced no health effects that I could put down to them.

How can you be so sure that your health problem is due to the CFLs you are using with no evidence at all?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

6. Update for people interested.
    My lymph nodes have shrunk back down to an unnoticeable size within the span of 36 hours after pulling all the equipment and tossing out the previous infected harvest. They are progressively getting better very quickly, which is surprising to everyone around me as the swelling was constant and increasing for months without any signs of stopping. I don't have a doubt in my mind that there is a definite correlation. No other aspects of my environment, diet, workplace, or smoking habits have changed during these months, only installing the CFL setup 5 months ago and the removal of the CFLs in the past 36 hours.
    Also, as far as nutrients, I grow organically. There is a chance of bacterial infection but I was on heavy antibiotics for 10 days, and there was practically no reduction in the swelling, which means that was not the cause. 36 hours after removing the CFLs my lymph nodes have reduced in size to the point of not being visibly swollen, definitely a telltale sign of the source. If you only enter the room your grow is located in order to water and do maintenance, then you are not exposed for long enough to develop noticeable signs of excessive Mercury. It seems that bedroom/closet setups are where you run a risk because of prolonged exposure.

GoldGrower, go fuck yourself.

7. No need to get huffy brother, I think he's just skeptical. I have to say I think there are more factors to consider: mercury poisoning is easily diagnosed so if your doctor hasn't told you its mercury poisoning or not there are other possibilities. In my opinion if CFL bulbs are releasing Hg in a harmful amount, the effects would be noted by more people. CFL bulbs are used to grow cannabis and other vegetables all over the world, in addition to lighting many American homes.

I think it is worth looking into, but insofar I'm not entirely sure that could be the only reason. Get well either way, and let us know how it goes.

Lol very grown up of you. If you were that convinced you would relish your idea being challenged. Simply by your reply it shows you aren't convinced yourself.

Bottom line is, if what you said is correct people would be having these symptoms all over the world, and it's simply not the case 

9. "GoldGrower, go fuck yourself."

OP, you said this why? Because Gold Grower simply didn't agree with you and asked for more evidence? These forums are for intelligent discussion - no?

J