150W hps grow.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by lemongirl, Aug 22, 2013.

1. This is my second grow ever, my first experience was hydro, it was easy but i wanted to try something new. I started with 4 seeds, 3 of them turned out to be male so off they went. I ended up with just one female which is what i was going for anyway so it worked out. Anyway, we are 3 weeks into flowering.

Currently Using: 

• Roots Organics Soil 
    • Roots Nutrient line (buddha bloom/grow) 
    • 150W HPS 
    • 2 60W equivalent CFL's for mix of spectrums. 
    • I have mylar wrapped on boxes for easy mobility. (its in my basement, i wanted to make it easy to move out of there if any "situations" arise.) 

I'll take any advice or constructive criticism, i am hoping to have a decent yield but will not get my hopes up. If anything this is an experiment run. I also have a seedling and a clone in the back which is why the CFL's are back there (my first time cloning). 

Here she is, and a few close ups of the bud sites. 

Thanks for looking  :bongin:

Attached Files:

• 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      670.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpeg
      4.jpeg
      File size:
      569.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      472.4 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      594.6 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpeg
      6.jpeg
      File size:
      595.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpeg
      5.jpeg
      File size:
      520 KB
      Views:
  2. She looks really healthy and the node lengths look optimal from the photo.

What strain and how long for  the veg period?

Keep us posted...she looks like she will thicken out really well.

3. Looks good lemon. With one plant one light have you looked into training or caging it to support it thru flower plus fill the space out more. See you started some more seeds, They on same light cycle as your flowering plant? 

Love when they are flowering like that little white orbs. 

4. its bag seed so i am unsure of the strain, vegged for 33 days

Thanks, I have the seedling on 12/12 as well because i wanted to give it a try, i've read you can start them on 12/12 and would love to know if its a fem so i dont waste too much time. I have LST'd the lower branches but i started a little late so i could not do it to the whole plant. I did however just buy some legit seeds so i can really do the thing! 

5. Just an update: these picture taken on 9/2/13. They have really fattened up a lot and are starting to show crystals. No issues at all shes very easy to take care of. The close ups are really looking nice :) 

Two main colas 
    View attachment 1266688

View attachment 1266687

Close up of one of the middle buds
    close up middle.JPG

close up smaller.JPG

internodes.JPG

Left main cola 
    main left cola.JPG

top view main cola
    top view two colas.JPG
    middle.JPG

6. how do ypu vent that hps? im assuming its a rather small area?

7. i do not vent it. Its in my basement under the stairs however it is all an open area so it is always cool down there. 

8. ahh I see, was considering a 250 w myself not real sure how hot they get.

Not very hot at all. I have a 250 hps and a small fan.

10. Would u say hook it up with the carbon filter or pc fan cools it fine?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Ive got a 250 and the plants can almost touch it and there fine get a good bulb i got one that puts out 33000 lumens :) got 4/5 plants under it and there all very nice plants. I also use a 250 mh for veg. But the hps outputs 10000 more lumens than the mh. I have a rvk fan 4" attached to a carbon filter

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

My fan is a little bigger than the pc fan, but Loki made some good points. The plants can almost touch it. I don't have a carbon filter hooked up.

13. An update: 

We are at flowering week 7! 

I have noticed some new growth on the top two colas. Ive never seen anything like this. From doing some research i believe they are called "fox tails." Anyone know what causes these or what they mean? Am i doing something wrong?

image.jpeg
    3.JPG

Ive also noticed that the lower branches seem to be maturing a lot faster than the two top colas. I know ive still got a few weeks so i will keep an eye on them but it worries me that they are maturing faster than the big ones. 

2.jpeg

I've got a clone from this little lady that is really taking off as well. Did not do any training methods on the clone, i am trying to keep it small (started 12/12) 
    clone.jpeg

Here is the whole setup! 

grow.jpeg

14. I've come to consider the foxtailing to be a sign that they are ending their run;  all my efforts were ended about 8 weeks from first pistil and coming from bagseed with no scope I'm just freeballing on whether they are actually done or not.  Your efforts look very nice and well tended;  recently upgraded my operation to a 400 watt HID after a year and a half of struggling along with an insane amount of CFLs.  I am having issues and currently have nothing picture worthy to display, but wanted to congratulate you on your success.

15. #15 morange, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
    I would second the above, from my person experience, whenever my buds start to foxtail (if the strain does at all) then I know it's getting close to being ripe. The thick dense buds still swell, but the new growth is going to make the buds have crowns and several tips. Looks good though, I'd flush soon and get ready to chop in a few weeks.

Also to the other people asking about temps from 150W HPS lights, it's true that they don't give off that much heat in an open area, but they are still very much HID lights. I have a 150W hps that I veg with, it's in a home made wooden grow cabinet 3.5 feet wide 1.5 feet deep 5 feet tall. With 2 oscillating fans but no exhaust fan I had temps up to low 90's last month. However, when I add my tiny 4" inline fan to exhaust the air out, the temperatures drop down to 77.

Basically, with ventilation a 150w hps is no effort at all to maintain stable temps with.

EDIT: actually looking at those last pics again, those do look like fox tails but what's worrying me is the leaves around it. Normally when buds are foxtailing at the end of flowering they are done growing anything but 1 bladed sugar leaves. Since your grow area is open and not enclosed, I'm thinking your plant may be stressed out from a messed up light schedule, or maybe some light leaks and has decided to try and reveg.

Keep your eye on that growth and make sure you have no light leaks.

16. yeah they are really leafy which is what worries me. I had some trouble with my timer last week but fixed it. Then i realized today i accidentally added two hours to her light cycle so im assuming thats why im getting that extra growth. I need to get an electronic timer, this manual one sucks. I doubt im having any light leaks though because lights go off at night and there is nothing on down there. 

17. Sub'd, im using a 150w + cfl as well, I agree with the before mentioned comments about it foxtailing due to being stressed a bit possibly by too much light, but it also could just be a strain defect, it is unknown bagseed genetics, either way nice plant!Sent from my Galaxy Note 3, using the asscity forum app.