Person from electicity company came to my apartment...?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mtndairymilk, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Hey guys I'm kinda in a weird situation. I guess while i was gone earlier today at class, someone claiming to be from my electric company came and asked my room mate to see our electric bill "to see if it would go significantly up during the winter." The weird thing is that we have natural gas heat so that wouldn't change anything. My room mate said he doesn't deal with the electricity and doesn't know where it is and the guy says they'll come back. I've got a very small cab, using at max 500watts when on, and my power bill barely went up when i started.
    Everything logical in me is saying that its ridiculous to think that they would notice anything like this since a high end computer could cause the came electricity usage but i cant help thinking this is really sketchy. My room mate said that since we live in a low income neighborhood it might have something to do with laws about electricity companies not being able to turn off power during the winter, so idk. I think I'm gunna call the electric company in the morning to see if that is weird.
    So do you guys think this is some sketchy investigation, something harmless or maybe someone trying to get personal information off of my bill for identity theft or something? I know this is weird and probably sounds paranoid and delusional but i cant help but be puzzled by this.

Thanks guys, as always

2. If they're from the electric company why would they have to come and see the bill? Couldn't they do that from like their office?

3. 1. Could be a scam, I would call the company and find out what's going on. Or ask the dude for papers.

2. Do you have baseboard heaters as well?

3. <500w isn't enough to raise a concern, my pc can draw up to 750w, a space heater is 750-1250w.

4. maybe they thought you were growing pot in you house and you were using those lights for the plants. Then all of a sudden a spike on you electric bill is kinda suspicious.

5. There was actually no spike in my bill. I moved into a new apartment after having started, and the price at my old place was about the same as my new place. But it did go up maybe like 20 bucks when I started but that was months and months ago at a different address. I'm thinking it must have been a scam, I'm gunna call the Electric company tomorrow. I thought the same thing about them needing to see the bill, if they work for the company they should have access to that information. I do have baseboard heaters but I think it's still gas.

6. couldve been from electric company......they all have an investigative staff....asking for a bill couldve been to give enough time to detect smells or look around for sumthing legal/illegal to draw that wattage(it would be noticable)........500w is quite a spike on a bill....if your on 12/12 then couldve been police....sum electric companys work with police and give them a heades up on what they consider to be suspicious wattage usage....you'd have to have an abnormal computer setup to use 500ws....so watch for police....500w is roughly 3 xbox360's running simultaneously....if that helps...get broken gaming systems and plug'm up(broken wont cost when pulged)in open view....just for the quick peeks you my get from any authorties/investigators/...gotta be sharper then thy are..at least 2 steps ahead..HOPE FOR THE BEST...BUT PREPARE FOR THE WORST...Good Luck....

7. Yeah dude, a total scam. If he was from the electric co he already knows your kW consumption, and if only a 500w system then they can't tell that from a small grow to a poorly insulated house.

It could be A.) a scammer looking for personal info, B.) a scam grower looking to steal power (though why they would canvas the neighborhood is beyond me), or C.) an overzealous cop with inside information.

"A" is probably the the most reasonable scenario. Regardless however, if they return and can't provide credentials for who they say they are, beat them senseless.

Don't know where you are or your circumstances (house/apartment) but here, if you ask someone to leave your property, and they don't, you can shoot them. Basically, if someone's on your property and you don't shoot them in the back, you can get off on the stance that they were trespassing and threatening.

8. my pc/stereo system pulls over 2k watts alone, 500 never gonna raise concern

9. Most likely a door to door sales rep for another electric company... I use to do that for a living. Don't worry about it.

10. #10 Doc-J, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    The electric company would already have your bill and wouldn't have to send someone out to look at your copy. Also, there is no way they could tell how much your bill would go up in the winter based on past bills, because how much your bill goes up depends on the type of heating used and many other factors.

One thing for certain, whoever came to the door was not there for the reason they stated.

500w is nothing on a power bill. I ran my 400whps and 100w fan 24/0 for two months and my bill only went up about $30. To contrast, I have a space heater that pulls 1300w, a tv that runs 400w, and a pc that pulls 400w.

11. I agree, power company doesn't need to see your bill from you, they generated on their computer in the first place. I'm guessing a salesman for "energy-efficient" replacement windows...

12. yea right lmfao, they would be out investigating everyperson that went out and bought a new big screen , house speakers with subs, new deep freezer, theres so many things that will spike your bill, they would have to havea crew come out to everybodys house every week, i grow and im always getting new shit for my house, ive never had the eletric company come to my house, but i was at a house where there was fake eletricain, they beat the shit outta of us over a pound of dro, lmfao, my rule is, if i didnt call u to come to my house guess wat i aint opening the door or letting them know im even there. deff tell your roomate the same bro

13. #13 HypnoticElement, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
    Correct, within last 2 years there are numerous utility companies that emerged in the US offering lower rates than whoever is your current provider, anywhere from 10-15% less but the catch is, it's only for the first 12 months, lol.

Stop being paranoid.

14. not being paranoid is wat gets u caught, not worrying about every detail is a dumb idea, you should be paranoid if its your life on the line, hyp aint worried about that shit cuz he dont care to go to jail or he dont grow illegal.

15. actually had a guy come to my door like 2 weeks ago for the same thing! but im an outdoor grow.. it was legit.. something about lockin in your rates before the winter rate increase.. wasnt from actual comed, was a subsidiary. no worries.. if it was an investigation, they would have kicked the door in already. there cops guys.. if they dont find anything they pay for whats broken and move on to the next one.. you give law enforcement far too much credit blade!

16. looks like u guys aint never had fake electricians from AEP wearing AEP outfits fuck u up, i was the one who anwsered the door for a guy dressed as AEP and when i opened the door i got hit n the face with shotgun butt knocking out 2 of my teeth, im not really worried about the police for him, they would just use your electric bill against u and kick your door. if your growing indoors, word travels sometimes and greedy ass ***** who aint scared to commit a robbery will do wat it takes to make some quick cash, thats my concern for him

17. I'm going to respond to this only because I'm a little bored this morning. Let me put it this way, if you plan your grow properly before hand, there should be no reasons why you should be EVER paranoid. Two things to be considered here, keeping your mouth shut and not selling.

18. read the post b4 this one buddy imnot worried about cops lol, they do wtf they want here

19. You obviously never grew with only 600W. It raises the bill a little, not a huge spike.

Sounds like it might be a salesman. Electricity is being distributed through more middle man companies now, so that may be it. They might just be trying to get your business instead of the local company everyone uses.

20. I agree with dissec, if they were from the Electric Company, they wouldn't have to ask for your bill to see if it went up, they would already know. Having said that, is your roomate cool about you growing?