Need Seasoned Indoor Grower Help on Cost-Effecient Micro-grow.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by nickster69420, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Hey folks, I am a young amateur outodoor grower for about 2 years. Grasscity lurker for 2 and a half years and a member for 1 month :D

So after getting a budshot worthy yield this season, I have found myself chasing that first high..of a sucessful grow :)

I am going to tech school, so my funds are quite limited. However, I would like to be off of the black market when it comes to purchasing my medicine, for good.

I really would appreciate a well-reputed member/grower such as an OldSchoolGrower, or a royskopp, or an Old Pork, to take me under their wing towards steps to being a Ganja-Guru as well. Believe me, I would cram my basements with hi-tech grow setups and numerous gizmos and gadgets if I had the resources, but realistically, I would just like to be 100% dealer free, and smoking on the fruits of my labor.

What my ideal set up is, is probably a decent growtent (tent preferred over a grow box) which would hold about 4 plants, just to start with. Any links to things would be great, especially for products.

so, here's my list for my low-budget grow op, soon to be revised and edited by hopefully you! :D

Here's what I Have:

Grow tent (for 4 plants)
    (Is this good for $104? Homebox Portable Indoor Growing Tents. Big Savings, Large Selection.
    Its 2ft x 2ft x 4ft)

Lights (what kinds will work decentl for a low-cost)
    Soil Mix
    Nutes
    Clay Pots
    Some form of exhaust system, not too familiar on carbon scrubbers tho.
    Seeds (probably just starting with bag seed)

I need to make one solid decision on each of those items, so any veteran help is appreciated!'

Once I get those, I'll need to know how to go about the routines of growing. Thanks!

Pass on the love,

Nickster

2. c'mon blades , dont be shy!

3. #3 chimera2, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011

Tent is a bit shy on height, would recommend a min of 5 feet that will give you 30" plant or you could scrog there by reducing your height requirement. light - the more you spend up front the more economical.

FFOF or any soil that has no added nutes - stay away from any soil that has time released nutes.

Seeds - spend a little money and get an easy to grow plant seed from reputable seed bank, you can get individual/single seeds at the following web site.Marijuana Seeds - Worldwide Marijuana Seeds

"Once I get those, I'll need to know how to go about the routines of growing. " Just read a couple of grows and you'll know all that you need to grow weed. And when problems arise and without doubt they will, listen to those who have succesful grows on this sight.

4. #4 TranceKid, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
    Personally, for a cheaper grow, I would do a SoG grow in the Homebox Clonebox using T5s. Its about 4 feet tall, so if you split it half and have 2 flowering areas, you could go 12/12 from seed, fit 12 plants on each tent floor level with a good 8 bulb 4 ft T5 on top of each set of 12 plants. Pretty awesome right there....

Homebox Clone box -- $230
    2 4ft T5's with 8+ bulbs -- $245 for each high powered T5 that uses about 432 watts!
    12-24 small 2 gal square pots -- cheap?
    small exhaust fan -- $40 OR 4" inline fan -- $ 80-130
    small filter -- $85-100

5. -I found a great grow shop about 40 miles away, and it has "The Dark Room" grow tents that I think I'm leaning towards. The Dark Room DR60 is 2ft x 2ftx 4'7, for about $108, which isn't too shabby. As for height, I think i would maybe try elastics and train it to grow out, instead of up.

Fox Farm is what my friend who grows uses, and what nutes are essential? Originally, I was contemplating Miracle-Gro, but numerous people on GC including well-known growers like Danny Danko don't reccomend it.

and yes, I agree with the seeds. I wouldn't mind getting an Auto-flowering strain, because that would be the most effecienct and quickest right?

6. Autoflowers or photoperiods will work any which way. If you do go photoperiod, depending n what light you use, you will have to use LST and flower earlier than you would if you had a bigger tent.

Fox farm is a good nute company and for $50 you can buy the three essentials: Grow Big, Big Bloom & Tiger Bloom.

7. the box looks nice, but i'm looking maybe at a tent for its stealth and portability.
    ideally, i would like to spend $500 on bulbs, but for now I'm looking for something that does the job decently for an okay price. maybe 100, 150 tops? and is there a way i can make the carbon scrubber myself?

8. Home Box Clone box is a tent. Sure you can make a carbon filter yourself, check the DIY threads, theres tutorials.

If you want to go that low, I'd say a small tent with a 250w HID system.. a Double T5 SOG would be more than your price range.

9. what should i do for carbon filter? and how reliable are seed banks?

10. Honestly if your strapped for cash if really not waste money on a tent or grow box and only look into essentials. a tent/grow box only real use is to have something to hang your lights on and section off an area that you can control your light and dark cycles.

Save yourself the cash and just build a simple frame. Home depot can make the cuts for u if u don't have slot of tools. I'd prob spend less than 15 bucks on wood. Then grab some panda (white black plastic) and use that to cover the walls

Then u can spend the extra Money on lights and fans or seeds.

Attitude is very reiable as a seedbank

11. that's not such a bad idea man. what would i do to make it ideal for exhaust and odor as well as air intake? i'd need to kinda have to see some plans or ideas which i could definately use help on. do you have anything like plans or pictures like that? great advice on another option man.

12. #12 Picks, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    I don't have plans. Just make a box frame out of wood..line it with panda and set up your exhaust using some plywood sheets for support. There lots of ideas in the diy section. My advice Keep it simple. You can spend thousands on random toys and shot if u have the cash but if your strapped sink your money on essentials.

13. Might want to stretch some pond liner on the bottom to stop moisture. Prob run u 10 bucks

14. Okay, update.

I said "fuck it" on any thing like a grow tent, and i just converted a mop closet into a grow room, its sort of in a triangle shape. its 3 1/4 x 2 3/4 with a back thats about 3/4 ft. but it's 8 feet high.

I lined it with reflective windsheild blocker for cars, and i have 4 lamps. 2 125 watt cfl's on the seeds, while i have a 125 cfl reptile heat lamp on clones from my outdoor in soil(for warmth). I put a glass bowl over the 4 clippings to hold in moisture, and also preventing melting.

I drilled a hole in the wall and put a PC fan in at the bottom, while a fan sitting about 7 feet high with carbon filters covering the intake on the fan, blowing out cool air.

if anyone wants, i could find a way to put pictures up.

Peace

15. Pictures would help :)

16. Be careful with the windshield blockers I tried using them once to line a pc case, but rapidly discarded the plan due to off gassing caused by the reflective material. Just a heads up:smoke:

17. damn! really? thats really shitty! i could assume tho also, because it appears to have air pockets in it. what about something like an emergency blanket..?

photo update coming next post.

18. here are some pics. 4 125 watt cfls, some clones and seeds i'm growing.:cool:
    IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4978.jpg

IMG_4979.jpg

19. the clone leaves are dry but i hope it turns out because its in wet soil, hopefully developing something.

20. The temp sorta fluctuates throughout the day, anywhere from 75-79, which is perfect.