followed flora nova mixing direction,ppm of the chart

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by stonedcreation, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hello everyone. I am growing Purps,after allot of reading i desided to use flora nova product.Florra nova and bloom,floraliciouse plus,liquid cool bloom.I am following the gh drain to wast program because i asume thats what is used for soil(i use ph pro mix).I bought a cf ecostick,But after i mix as directed, my meter tops out at 2600 ppm or 5.2 ec.My water from the tap is 250 ppm or .5 ec.I have to add double the water to bring it down to 800 ppm. Is this normal? And yes i shook the hell out of the bottles before mixing.I want to trust my meter before i water as directed by the chart,dont want to burn my girls.

I am at the transition part of the program,so all my nuts are being used

flora nova 2.5 per gallon
    Flora bloom 2.5 ml
    Floralicious plus 1ml per gallon
    Liquid koolbloom 1.5ml
    use allitle baking soda to bring ph up to 6.5

still off the charts,cant figure it out
    Any help or thought please.

2. boy i must have every one stumped.

3. I use Flora Nova and couldn't be happier after almost 5 years of continual usage. You are using a lot more nutes than I do, though. I never use Koolbloom and Floralicious at the same time because I have experienced wilting and leaf thickening.

Your tap water exceeds the U.S. Govt. ppm guidelines and you shouldn't drink it or use it on plants. You may have rusty or broken water pipes. A ppm that high will even make your lawn look crappy if you water it a lot. I recommend that you go to a water store and get some distilled or de-ionized water. It has a tds of zero and should be close to neutral ph.

Baking soda can take a long time to stabilize, so you may want to try some ph-down solution. It may also be pushing your tds up. I use 800 ppm for hydro but I stick to around 500 for plants in containers and I only fertilize once a week and the rest of the time just ph-balanced, purified water. Finally, I don't use Floralicious or Superthrive after flowering starts because I think they slow things down in favor of leaf development, also I think they have a nasty taste that lingers in the final product. I know that everyone eventually develops their own system, but this is what works for me.

4. Thank you for your reply jr. This is the first time i am using the flora nova series,i used the 3 part gh before.Worked well,but was told to try nova because of tast and growth, (being half organic).Now i got a small fortune in juice.And i will figure this out.I do alternate fresh water between feeding like yourself.Thanks for the tip on my bad water,i will take your advice and get some distilled water.
    If you dont mind can you give me an idea on the amounts you are using per gallon.Like i said it sounds like the calculator i am using is wrong.Cant go wrong asking help from you since you have 5 years under your belt with these products.

5. Hey dude, I'm also using floranova grow and bloom but not the additives, if u follow the d2w program you'll be gold,
    Use the exact amounts as it states and if u have to add a bit water to cool off the mix then do so, I water feed water feed on a continuous schedule, it usually takes my pots 4-6 days to fully absorb all the moisture, I'm also in the transition stage and all looks great,
    Feed every other and ur good

• Like Like x 1
  6. I used floranova as well. Only 1 grow though. I loved the simpicity & never had an issue with the ppm. When I first started I was checking the ph & didn't even check the ppm. I 'guessed' at the amts when topping it off. My mentor suggested that this was wrong- so I started using the ppm meter- when flowering I think.=(

I also didn't use anything besides the grow & then the bloom until MUCH later. I used the ppm chart the nute co provided. I was using 1-2t(teaspoons)/gallon. Then when topping- usually not much at all, if any. I tried to stick with the theory that less was better than to much & wasn't going to kill my plants.

7. I don't use a ppm meter but I always test ph levels making sure I feed and water at an even 7ph for soil and runsoff at 6-6.5,
    The flora seems to adjust ec and ppm well for me in combination with promix,
    plants don't lie or they would show otherwise,

8. Never got a ppm chart, where can I find 1,

9. I just add a little of whatever I'm using to a bottle of ph-balanced water. I usually use a 1-gallon bottle. So, if I'm using a Floranova grow/bloom combo, I would add maybe an 1/8 tsp. of each, then shake it up and check the tds. I then add a few more drops of nutrients or some more water to get it to about 500 ppm. For me, the 2-part Floranova works better than the 3-part formula.

Koolbloom doesn't seem to change the tds very much. I use it during the bloom cycle and only use about 1/8 tsp. per gallon. When using Superthrive or Floralicious, I never add more than 2 drops per quart. I have damaged some plants with these additives but sometimes they can really help to give your plants a boost. I learned the hard way. If you ever use Bushmaster, try to only use a few drops per quart and back way off on the nutes during the treatment period or you can get some very weird deformities that make your plants look like cabbage.

This info is for growing in containers. Of course, this will work differently with various planting mixes, so sticking with a consistent mix will allow you to judge the results more effectively and come up with your own nutrient strategy.

10. i use the three part and follow the d2w schedule and have no problem i think its your water most stores carry distilled water for a dollar will make things simpler

11. sorry- duh- I am doing hydro and use Floranova grow & also the bloom & the chart is on the bottle (but usually you can find the ppm's at their web site as well). AND I use the grow during veg & bloom- well, during flower. =)

12. I also use the Floranova in a hydro setup and my experience is that the chart they supply is too much. I have much better results if I stay at around 800 ppm when using distilled water with a near-zero tds. For the first couple of weeks, I stay at around 600 ppm and then I switch to 800 until two weeks before harvest, when I start to taper off to as low as I can get it. I also use grow during bloom and it seems to stop premature yellowing.

13. #13 al shankmor, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
    You can use them in conjunction. Floralicious + is also a great product although i think GH nutes leaves a slightly salty taste in everything even after flush. If you add more supplements lower the application rate of all nutes so you can keep ppms down.
    Also different plants have different thresholds. I had a super lemon haze pheno that took close to 3000ppm without and nute burn. I have also had plants that burned at 900 ppm.

You should pH balance to 6.0-6.5 because plants like slightly acidic conditions. First off the pH at which certain nutrients are available for plant absorption varies and 5.8-6.5 is where the most is able to be absorbed. Second, Acidic conditions discourage mold and fungus growth.

14. Somehow a quote from Hkg13 was mistakenly attributed to me.

If you use Flora Nova with Floralicious and Koolbloom at the same time, you are taking an unnecessary risk with your plants and it is doubtful that you are going to gain anything by playing chemistry. This thread was started by a soil grower and I believe that if you use 3000ppm on a container plant you will not be helping it. Maybe your gauge needs to be calibrated.

15. this is the method i follow found it on the GH website i use d2w with a hydro system the recirc schedule uses a higher nute content never followed the bottle (this is simpler)

Attached Files:

16. Thank you so much all for your input,I dont think my meter needs to be calibrated, it is brand new right from china,,lol.
    After reading your posts i mixed all my nuts following d2w exept floralisious plus(thanks jr)I still had to add gallon of water to bring down ppm into a 5 gallon mix,ppm got down to 1800 instead of 2900,i said fuck it and fed them to see what happens,3 days in and they are fine,no sign of nute burn.fingers crossed.

17. You have proved that the mixing instructions are incorrect. You would be better off dumping some on the ground and adding water until you get to 500ppm (or 750 with the water that you have been using). Your plants may not appear to be damaged but it is almost certain that they would do better without this torture. I learned about this from the other blades. High concentrations are risky and expensive. I'm sorry that you did this. Good luck.

18. If you actually read what I wrote, I was talking about different plant thresholds. I have grown in soil organically and can say that in my opinion less is better, but plants need many different elements to get the most out of them. You can use all 4 of those products together if you lower the application rate of all of them. I never feed what the schedule tells me cuz i think they are too heavy, I cut it down to 3/4 strength.

19. I only watered with the ppm at 1800 because i think maybe my meter is busted,when i do get to 500-800 ppm the water is almost clear again.To get down to these numbers i am adding twice the water.my 5 gallon mix is now 10 gallons.Belive me i was reluctant to do this thinking a new meter cant be broken,but why would there dtw mixing directions be so far off on the ppm?I try and use common sence with help from my fellow hobbiests.
    The last thing i am trying to do is debate with someone that has more experience than me.Like i said this is my first grow with the nova line,and i think i am dialing it in,,,,,thanks to everyones input,,,,,

• Like Like x 1
  20. Here are a couple of pics of the Purps,i think they are looking alright.They are grown in a 4x4 tent with carbon filter to 6inc fan to cooltube to vent.I went over board and bought a dimmable 1000 wat digital ballast.got it set to 50%,i know its over kill some might say but i have 50% more power if i need it for finishing.Heat is not an issue,room has an air conditioner,even still i hardly need it to cool the room,most of the time the airconditioner is on fan only.Just need to dial in my nutes.

Attached Files:

• 0011.jpg
      0011.jpg
      File size:
      112.6 KB
      Views:
    • 0031.jpg
      0031.jpg
      File size:
      297.2 KB
      Views: