Please help! my leaves are closing together

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by shadowwolf84, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Hello this is my first grow, I'm growing a fruit automatic obviously an auto flower :). It's leaves started closing together, and I found it was severely root bound so I transplanted it into a 5 gal. pot using fox farm ocean forest potting soil about a week and a half ago. Since then I've given it about two gallons of water each with 1 tbs. of fox farm big bloom. It's growing under a 400w hp sodium HID about 3 to 4 feet from the top of the plant, and the humidity is really low at only 25-30% I was thinking of getting a humidifier? Like I said it's been about a week and a half and it hasn't gotten any better or worse and the leaves are still closed together. I don't know when it was actually started from seed but I think it's about a month and a half old, and right now is almost 10 inches tall. should I be more patient, or is there something I need to do?

Attached Files:

• 037.JPG
      037.JPG
      File size:
      521.8 KB
      Views:
    • 038.JPG
      038.JPG
      File size:
      529.1 KB
      Views:
    • 029.JPG
      029.JPG
      File size:
      676.6 KB
      Views:
    • 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      625.5 KB
      Views:
    • 031.JPG
      031.JPG
      File size:
      729.9 KB
      Views:
  2. What are you temps...does the therm say 90? What about ph of water? And what kind of ventilation and air movement do you have?

Never grown autos before but those look kinda small to me for being under 400watt and 6 weeks old. :smoke:

3. i don't see any real problems with the plants. they don't look all that big, so they must have been in incredibly small containers to be "severly root-bound." with pre-ferted medium, i like to amend with some feed too. i'd prob. use a tbsp. per gallon. your light is waaaaaay too far away. i'm surprised you're not experiencing a lot of stretching. a 400 watter can be 12" or even less with an air cooled hood. your humidity is pretty good. you don't want it real high in flower, like in veg.

4. They look healthy, small, but healthy.

Hard for me to tell what you are referring to exactly, but if you are concerned about the way the three blades are partially stacked on top of each other in the first two pics, then don't sweat it. One leaf has a tiny bit of curl which is probably heat stress........looks like ur temps are up there quite a bit, but again no big deal.

Like GB said, anything past 24" on a 400 is doing both you and ur plants a disservice. Next time transplant earlier, especially with an auto. You don't have time to compensate for stunting with them....Ideally you want to allow those roots to go, go, go as much as you can and as early as you can with them. Big Bloom is great, but you want to get an increase of phosphorous at this point. Grab some Tiger Bloom or if you're going organic look into something along the lines of a bat guano tea.

5. Looks like temps to me.

6. bro that all gud my plant has it and its buddn,and its topd nw and its gone crazy thy end up lookn lyk witch fingr nails

i dont think thrs nuthn wrong wid it

7. Thanks everybody for all the quick responses, the temp usually ranges in the 80's to 90's in the room. I'm trying different ways to keep it cooler and and circulate fresh air to them, right now I've got a window mount air conditioner pulling fresh air to them along with a floor fan. I can't tell you the ph level yet but I'm planning to get a ph meter soon. I actually had gotten these seeds from a friend, so I had no idea these were auto-flowers until I noticed white hairs popping up and did some research. Before that I didn't even know there were auto-flowers, but I'll try putting the light closer and get myself a ph meter. I really appreciate all the quick responses and any more advise is also greatly appreciated. :)

8. Yes my concern is with the three blades staking on each other, and also why the other 4 blades haven't appeared yet like on my other plants which I believe are also autos:confused:? I just put the light about a foot closer, so now it's 2-2.5 feet from the top of the plants. I've also been looking at different ph meters to see what the best is for a budget. But like I said any advice is greatly appreciated:).

9. Shes burnin' up!

10. even a 2 feet, the light is still a mile away! i keep my 1000 watter closer than that!

11. and I bet your light is air cooled... what a dumb comment!:wave:

12. lol, yes it is air cooled. dumb comment? maybe to a dummy! i see you live up to your name, chitty advice! he can take the info. i gave him and work with it on his grow. a 400 watt light can be kept very close to the canopy. even w/o an aircooled hood, he could keep it closer. he'd just have to compensate with a fan or two. why would you come to someone's thread and start causing trouble? let me guess, you're what 19? you do all people your age a disservice by being an ass. but hey, one day you'll grow up!

13. #13 FlyMaster, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
    Get that ph meter asap...without it theres no way to know if you have a ph problem or even what ph you're giving them..

Try putting a fan so it blows air through the space between the canopy and the hood/reflector. This will dissipate the heat given off by the bulb and should allow you to move the light closer. What kind of exhaust setup do you have? Sure plants can grow in +90 temps but that doesn't mean that it's ideal for indoor growing or this particular genetics..

I'd say heat and/or other factors are the cause. The leaves up top look healthy, but for 6 weeks the plants seem underdeveloped imo..not enough growth, thin main stems, and stretched.

If you want as much help as possible tell us everything about your grow...feeding/watering schedule and amounts, light schedule, temps without light on, have they been under the hps the entire time or did you start them under something else, the plants started flowering on their own..how many days in did pistils start appearing? :smoke::smoke:

14. Ok so I got my ph meter today, tested it and it's at 7. I got some white visqueen sheets and enclosed the area. There is plenty ventilation and I have two fans and one air conditioner set up to circulate the air. One of the fans is blowing air through the space between the canopy and the hood/reflector. The temps in the room are now between the mid 70's and low 80's during the day and in the low 60's to low 70's at night. I have a humidifier running now as well and the humidity is staying in the 30's to 40's. I am also pretty positive that all four of my plants are auto-flowers. I only know the names of three of them as the fourth was a freebie which my Father named runt lol. The other three are Big Band-Auto, BCN Diesel-Auto, and of course the one I've been talking about in this thread is Fruit Automatic-Auto. Aside from Fruit Automatic the other three are really taking off, the Fruit Automatic is almost frozen in time. She's not getting worse or better, though it could just be me, but her flowering/Buds:confused: lol do seem to be getting more prominent. I don't know, I'll post a few more updated pics. As I said before, in their seedling stage, I'm not 100% sure when they were started and what light was used in the beginning, as this was done by my friend who did not keep track :rolleyes:. I think he did have them under the hps light the whole time, but he planted them in straight soil amendment instead of mixing it 50/50 with soil. We didn't realize that he had done that until the plants started doing real poorly. We then checked one of the bags of "soil" that he had used and found out what he had done. We immediately transplanted them into the Fox Farms and of course they improved greatly. Unfortunately though, this gave them a very poor start, which probably explains the reason they seem to be stunted.

15. Well they might be a little stunted but they're still alive and should at least yield something..sounds like you're getting things dialed in :).

Keeping track of all nute levels and ph is a must for me because of bad memory. Just stay on top of monitoring ph and don't forget to calibrate the meter once in a while. The fan across the canopy was only a suggestion but if it works for you hell yeah :cool:..pretty much the only way I can cool my area because its such a small grow. :smoke::smoke:

16. Here are the pics :)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      711 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      662.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      604.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      689 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      636.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      690.7 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      661.9 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      769.7 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      741.9 KB
      Views:
  17. Bump. Is it just me or are they doing a lot better? I mean the front left one is still small but the others are looking very nice :cool:.

18. think poss u overestimated age of plant? looks like since u posted they actually hit veg and with that upped their growth rate? amuzing the comments about ur prob being temp related and then u getting advised to move light closer lmao