False seed pods with dark tips

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by RockyMtnFarmer, Jul 19, 2011.

1. 5 days into my 6th week of flower, there are these swollen calyx things appearing on some nugs. They have pistils coming out of the ends of them. At first I was shocked and thought my plant had hermied, but I thoroughly inspect her every day and never saw any bananas. Also, in a panic I removed some of these pod looking things and ripped them open and they're just hollow with goo and sometimes a soft little white thing in them, is this normal for this stage? It's not a hermie right? Sorry no pics the lights are off. If anyone has any good links on how to tell a swollen late stage calyx from hermies please share this is stressing me out. I NEVER saw any bananas.

2. Calyxes start off tiny and grow larger during flowering. Towards the end of flowering, the calyxes should be as fat as if they had seeds in them. One clue to how close a plant is to harvest is how swollen the calyxes are.

3. damn, wish i had some pics, they're just scary looking, I'll be taking some pictures of them tomorrow after work and updating this thread, in the meantime if anyone has any good pictures of swollen calyxes please hook it up I can't find any anywhere. Thanks

4. Here's a pic of a ripe calyx. Took ten minutes of searching but I need one anyway.

Attached Files:

5. Yep that's just what they look like, but the tips where the pistils are coming out are dark. So what does that mean are they normal good female things?

6. Here are some pics, look in the lower center on the close up one and at the internode where I chopped the fan leaf u can see the calyx, there are very very similar things coming out of some of the buds. This is a blue cheese and the pic is about a week old.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oh yes, calyxes are very good. The buds we smoke are generally made up of calyxes, stigmas, leaf blades and some stems, all of which are hopefully covered in trichomes. Of those four parts, the calyxes and their protruding stigmas are the smoothest & most potent to smoke. The more the better.

Some strains & growing conditions can exhibit purpling. A calyx that starts purpling typically does so more towards the tip, with a lighter & more green bottom. It doesn't sound like what you're talking about is a problem. When you're able to post pics, someone here will explain what's going on with more certainty.

8. The very bottom center of the first pic with a calyx on each side of the node you clipped the leaves from? They look perfectly normal. I haven't witnessed it flowering, but I'd fully expect a strain called "Blue Cheese" to display the calyx purpling mentioned above.

9. Why do calyxes look so much like seed pods? Do they fo
    rm in bunches? on the tops of nugs?

10. Lovely plant btw. Don't worry at all, she's obviously doing very well.

11. Thanks for your help man, I'll post some clear pics of the ones on the buds tomorrow...

12. Seeds grow inside of calyxes. The two stigmas sticking out collect pollen to fertilize the calyx. They look like "seed pods" because that's just what they are.

How they grow depends on the strain. More indica varieties usually have less obvious calyxes, often seeming to have stigmas poking out from between leaf blades. Jack Herer has calyxes that stay just a little bit flat and form "foxtails." Some sativas do indeed grow bunches of them. The stuff I'm working with now is a Jack/Haze cross that basically grows bulbous calyxes all along thin stems, and many of these calyx stalks together make up each large bud.

Glad to help.

13. calyxes are seed pods, that is where the seed would develop if the plant got pollinated. Yours are just getting all big and fat in anticipation of pollen that will never come.

14. This is what you have been working toward.

15. Here's some pics of what I suspect, and am now almost sure are hermie seeds. There is a relatively hard but still squishy green ball filling the calyx, when I open it it's filled with juice and hollow,with maybe a little white thing in it. Are these hermies? FML! Only happening on lower branches. Is there any possibility these are false seed pods? I'm just starting week 7, should I chop her before the seeds spread? Please tell me these are false seed pods?

Attached Files:

16. I cut her down, she's dead. Obvious seeds started spreading to all the lower branches

17. Have an indoor with 5 (now 4) Indicas. One of the plants was putting out tons of these false seed pods. The plant was the smallest of the five, even though the liturature says it is OK, I chopped the punk. There were so many and I already went through one hermie, I chopped that one as well. All feminized seeds, Mazar, LSD, Vio Kush, Big Band. Now I'm down to four, with 600hps I should get a lid per plant. I would be happy with that. I read about these guys that say they get an elbow off of one plant, well, thats them, guess I don't have the touch. Heck, four lids is about 1200 bucks where I live.