Adding Soil To Tall Seedlings?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TropicalCoch, Jul 16, 2011.

1. okay i was just wondering if i should add more soil to my very skinny and tall seedlings, they are both 2 weeks old and are wilting because of their length, if i add more soil it should be able to hold them up, im just worried if it will effect the plants stems, or how much water gets to the roots?

2. Yea, you could do that...or you could just stake and tie.

3. Probably a light issue... they'll keep stretching till they get the lumens they need. but yeah you can add more soil... just watch out for rot in the stem, keep your soil on the dry side for a bit.

4. Agree, add more soil but keep on the dry side for awhile until the stem has time to adjust to being buried...either move them closer to the light or pick-up a few blue LED lights...that's what I do..I veg under 400 Watt HPS and supplement with blue LED's...the blue spectrum keeps them from stretching During Veg....when I switch to 12/12 flowering I just get rid of the blue LED's and go straight HPS witch has a yellowish light spectrum that the buds love.

5. Make sure you're not over-watering, and only add a small amount of soil at a time.. a healthy plant will usually handle a lot all at once, just fine, but if you have ANY issues in your grow environment, any at all, you're risking stem rot by submerging the soft lower stalk of a young plant. It would be good to have a gardening peroxide or at least a copper fungicide handy, for as soon as you notice trouble.

Try to resist the urge to stake or support your plant; supporting it this early is only going to make it develop and grow weaker, relying more on the support you've given it, than it's own strength. In the end, if the plant is aware that it can't even support its own vegetative weight, the flower yield will suffer because of this. More ideally, you'd want to be adding that support a bit later on, for the additional weight of the flowers.

Try lowering your light, and getting a gentle oscillating fan in there.. it doesn't need to be blowing directly at your plant/s, it's better that it isn't this early on. Just have it blowing above them or at the walls, so the air current reflects and diminishes slightly, then 'bounces back' and moves your plant/s around a bit. It does sound like you need a few more/closer lumens, and some gentle strength training (fan).