Making of my Veg Area

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NeXXuS, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Well it has come the time where I need to have a Veg room so that I can keep myself in supply.

First Off I will be using 4 CFL's Mounted on a 2" x 4" Piece of wood, Inline and adjustable.

It is going to be put in here, It's an Old computer desk, it's 18 inches deep. I prolly won't pait it white but rather cover the inside with 2 layer thick white printer paper. The back side wehre it is open, there is a fan that blows through the back so I don't think airflow will be a problem.

Here is the space, Stay tuned for more updates, and Please critique.

Attached Files:

2. all i'll say is make sure you test the temps before you put your paper in there lol. esp be careful if manually wiring anything...my bro's friend just got busted for starting a fire.

how big is your flowering area/how many plants? are you cloning or starting from seeds? size seems most important with these small grows, esp going from one box to another.

3. Temp shouldn't be a problem, Room stay sat 78 F.

here are my supplies, Made so I can easily move it.

Attached Files:

4. Here is the sockets Mounted on the wood, the sockets were $1.67 at lowes.

Attached Files:

5. Well here is almost finished product, well at least for tonight. Will paint it white some other day. And if you notice, The thermometer reads 78 F. Opened the door for the pic, Started 6 new ones.

Attached Files:

6. thats a pretty decent idea there nexxus. i have a space very similar to that, but how are you gonna keep 6 seeds once you transplant out of the party cups? wont the pots be too wide?

7. Well this really isn't technically a veg area, More like a starting area, When they get big enough not to fit in that space, I will accomadate them. But for now, with those 4 CFL's in that little of a space will give those plants a nice start.

Besides, this is temporary.

8. I got a 10" square fan that fits int he back, Pulling air through so the temp stays constant +Airflow. Lining the bottom with a tray in case of spills.

Will post pics later.

9. Here is a shot with the lights raised, they are off until they sprout anyways. Oh and the fan mounted in the back to keep it nice and cool.

Attached Files:

10. You know what, i was impressed the first time i followed my directions, and i hope everyone can do as he does one day, not skimp on lighting coz it does make all the differnce in the world.

his setup right there could not have cost him more than 40 bucks and he actually has
    enough light there to grow.

I must say, Nexxus is one to watch on this forum, he will be doing very well simply because he doesnt cut corners when doing things.

Good job, i love it should work perfect..... get yourself some rooting gel and get away from the seeds.

+rep!

11. Yea the lighting idea is genious :) i might have to steal that idea from u if u dont mind lol

12. Why steal it, improve it, make it a square piece of wood say 15 inches by 15 inches and have evenly spaced out 3 rows 3 columns of light (9 lights & 100w) :)

Then your growing!

PS said setup will fit in a 18x18x3ft growbox :)

13. Nexxus, good idea on the printer paper, i think thats all your lacking right now, put it up and take another picture and you will see the difference the reflectivity will make inside the box, right now your loosing alot of that wonderful light you put in there.

14. It's a community, two heads are better than one, etc etc.

But oddly enough it hink frank zappa summed t up best for me. "Without Deviation, Progress Is Not Possible"

But yeah, whole setup was around $25, 92 watts - You do the math.

2 4" fluoros = 80watts

I have some pretty thick printer paper i will use, I ran out of tape but will get some more tomorrow and line the inside with white paper and also have a pic up with tray at the bottom made of cardboard, foil and ductape, but it's water proof in case of spills.

15. No offense but a word of caution, from an electrical standpoint, unless you have formal training, or really inclined electrically PLEASE do not try this. One two three lights is alright, But once you start wiring more than about 4 lights, even CFL's the kind of wire, thickness, routing, heat, load, and a whole load of things come in to play.

Dier I wouldn't recomend anymore lights than 4 in a single series, and that if done right.

But damn good Idea, i thought of it, but the outlet i would have to put it on would not handle it, that and anymore than 4 of those things you have to have alot bigger wire and contain the wiring because of heat and thus why i went with cfls instead of 4 18" flouros, that and there is a ton more light this way and way cheaper.

16. as requested

Attached Files:

17. Never said it had to be in series :) just wire it :)

18. LOL I just don't want to get blamed when someone burns their house down by mounting as many CFL's on a 4' x 8' piece of plywood as they can.

Even though, Could you imagine what kind of light output that would be?

Probably the most watts per square foot that I have seen, and the cheapest. Hmmm :)

19. Is 82 Degrees too hot for germinating seeds? That's what it is staying constant at in their without the fan, with the fan it keeps it at whatever temperature I keep the room at which is usually between 73 and 78.

20. Hey Everyone!! This is my first post in the city, but have definitely done my reading over the months.

NeXXuS and DierWolf - I have followed many of your grows and have inspired me to take the next step! Time to GROW! I will be keeping a journal coming up very shortly as I get started. Should I start with some bagseed or should I order some for my virgin run??

NeXXuS great idea with the 2x4 light bar. I would like to go with that idea with my grow, but was just wondering the specifics of the entire setup. I have the sockets, but could you please post a picture of the wiring involved and what size bulbs you are going with?? I like to double check when I'm dealing with something like that.

You guys have had some great plants and hopefully with a little advice here and there, I will get something close!!