big problem with my utopia haze

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by vittujoo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. #1 vittujoo, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
    Here's the deal, my utopia haze (80% sativa) has been flowering for 50 days now (7 weeks).
    'Thing is, I flowered her for four weeks which was a mistake, should have gone with two weeks.
    Now the plant is so tall (around 5-5.5 feet (160cm) it can't support its weight anymore. I have around twenty strings on the plant but it doesn't make much of a difference, the buds just wont fill because the tiny stems cant support them any more than what they are doing now.
    Here are some pics, please tell me there is some magic thing I could do.
    Growing conditions have been ideal in my opinion, using 600W hps, temps, humidity, ph and ventilation always good. Didnt top nor did i lst :( She's my only sativa and was the plant I was most looking forward to. but now it seems as I'll be getting half an ounce at the most. Or should i just throw in the towel and cut her now. She hasnt been getting heavier in many days anymore... and shes taking lots of space other plants could use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone!

2. Something is way wrong with those pics. I see pistils and trichromes. But it just doesnt look right. Im new to all this so I dont know. But are you sure its a female?

3. Damn those buds are WAYY light, I have a few guesses as to why though. Your using a container thats way to small for that BIG girl, she's probably rootbound all the way to bottom which is causing your roots to suffocate n lockout nutrients which leads to your second problem, weak buds - no phosphorus is bad news for a flowering plant, consider gaining some advice from a few more members on here before doing anything, but personally, I'd transplant it to a bigger container and give it a good feeding and see if that helps...

4. #4 vittujoo, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
    thanks for your reply!

I'm using a 10 litre pot with 75% perlite / 25% vermiculite (hempy bucket system). I've done a few grows with this method and never had any nutrient lockout/rootbound problems. Using the lucas formula with GH micro + flower feeding every third day.

stric9: she's definitely 100% female.

Additional info if anyone can give would be awesome if I could still somehow rescue her!

5. for one u didnt clean the plant up and it got too big

6. thanks for your helpful reply.
    what do you even mean by that

7. looks like you could make some baller ass hash man.

8. In all my years I have never seen a pot plant that looked like that!!!!!!!! R you sure that is weed???? JK man. No f-ing idea. Sorry! Def. would use a larger container though. at least 3 gal.:rolleyes:

9. It almost looks like it didn't have enough light, but that's not true. Maybe it's just a retarded plant. It is odd looking.

10. what i mean is theres alot of wasted nodes if u would of cleaned it up and had few colas with less nodes theres less that the plant has to feed or food would of been concentrated on less buds allowing those to get bigger

11. A 10L, about 2.5 gal, container is big enough for some plants, but definitely not a flowering sativa that is so large. Just to put it in perspective, look how tall the plant is, now look how tall your medium container is and imagine that your plant is flipped 180 degrees, would it still fit in that container?
    No, probably not, the same bears true for your root system.

12. #12 vittujoo, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
    would transplanting to a bigger pot help at a stage this late? or is it too late to save?
    I got a 25 litre pot (6.5 gallons) should this suffice?
    transplanting tomorrow because i need to get some more medium

13. my utopia haze is almost finished, it filled out a LOT in the last couple of weeks. if you're on day 50 then i guess you have about a month left, so still have the potential for nice buds.

i'd try fixing some horizontal stakes to the vertical ones you already have, trim it down a bit maybe to get more light in amongst it. you could think about harvesting in stages as well, after the top is ready, cut it off and you can let the bottom buds get some sunshine :)

i think transplanting could be a good idea, but could cause undue stress and stop the budding...someone with more experience will need to answer that one.

14. you wouldnt be having a grow diary on your plant or just pictures? would be interested since its very hard finding a utopia haze grow diary

15. I'm sorry this happened to your plant. I don't know enough about sativas and hydro to help, but the plant sure looks weird. Has a million tiny branches with one flower at each node. Is that normally what happens when the pot is too small? Maybe this strain isn't well suited to container growing or hydro? Or maybe it's a mutant? Subbed 'cause I wanna know.

16. any1 else?

17. yo man i never did a journal or anything, and i know what you mean about it being hard to find any. i'll try and take some pics when i'm home 2moro afternoon.

18. From what I have read about haze strains they are very strong high low yield and one of the harder plants to grow ,thats what my book says . I my self dont try to grow hevey sativas indoors any more just not the same as leting them get 12feet tall in the woods

19. At first when I saw these pics I thought it was Dr. Grinspoon, the strain Barney's Farm developed right after Utopia Haze. For some reason it grows like that, huge single calyxes with tiny stems like a string of Christmas lights. The guy at Barney's showed it to me and I was like wtf, all you have is shake? He was like no dude it grows like that. A couple tokes and any qualms about the lack of big buds should disappear though. :smoke:

20. HOLY lack of maintenance batman! That plant is super airy and definitely root bound listen to all the advice above.