Help refining my cloning technique

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by decarboxylator, Jun 30, 2010.

1. I have some issues with cloning as posted over in the "plant problems" section:

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-pla...-rapid-yellowing-spots-low-survival-rate.html

That has a good description of how we are doing the cloning. For some reason we just aren't getting very good results.

I have read lots of different guides on cloning and they all seem to differ.

I think I have the cutting, dipping, etc. part down. The mechanics of that part make sense to me.

The part where I'm not so sure of my process is after they are in the rockwool cubes. Specifically, how often should they be watered, and with what? How wet should the cubes stay? If they stay too wet do I skip watering or do I drain them somehow (place cubes on clean towel to absorb some water) and then water them?

How high should I maintain the humidity (it is right around 100% most of the time now)? If it is too humid will that leach more nutrients from the leaves (could that be causing my problem is the other thread?) what temperatures (I'm able to keep it at about 75-80 roots and around 65-70 air in dome)?

I've read lots of tips and tricks, and I haven't been able to get it working just right yet. Once they are rooted they grow like crazy. I have figured out how to watch for signs of too much or too little nutrients and handling lighting, temperature, humidity and all that in the big room. The only thing holding us back from being ready to rock is that cloning is such a time consuming and disappointing procedure right now. My friend wants to be a caregiver but she isn't confident promising to provide for others when we haven't figured out a solid cloning technique.

So, once you have the cuttings gooped and in the blocks what is your ritual for the next 2-3 weeks to keep the little suckers happy?

2. ...just as yourself, I've tried every technique when it comes to cutting clones. With those rockwool cubes, I found it best to presoak them in 5.0 filtered water over night. After the presoak, I place the rockwool under a humidity dome and on a seedling heating pad. I let the cubes warm-up, then I take the cuttings one by one, dipping them into rooting hormone gel before planting into the cubes. I mist only the dome 2-3 times a day keeping the humidity as high as possible for the first week or so. I remove the dome 1-2 times daily also to exchange new air. To check when to water, use an extra cube and water it as you water your babbies. ( if you can squeeze one drop of water out of your extra cube don't water) After 2-3 weeks, you should have a pretty good success rate.

...however, for best results, use an ezcloner (aeroponics).
    I use dechlorinized tap water, pH'd @ 6.0, no rooting hormones, no chemicals...simple tap and I get 100% everytime, always. View post #2 in my grow journal >>> http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...ty-starting-journal-10-strains-many-pics.html

3. I will give you my ghetto cloning process that has a 98% success rate. There are many different ways but this works for me.

Things needed:
    1) 20-30 gallon aquarium
    2) rooting compound
    3) one air pump
    4) A piece of styrofoam
    5) tank heater
    6) Pot plants to clone off of obviously

First fill the aquarium with water. Put the tank heater and air pump into the filled tank. Take your piece of styrofoam,about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and cut it to the dimensions of the aquarium so that it fits inside the aquarium. It floats on the water in the tank. Poke holes in the styrofoam so you can put the stem of your clone right through the hole. The top of the clone i.e. leafy section rests on top of the styrofoam. The stem is submerged in the water on the underside of the styrofoam. Do all of your normal dipping in your cloning solution before you put the clone into its styrofoam hole. I lay my floros on top of the tank and run them at 19 on and 5 off. My water is normally around 70 degrees. After about 7-10 days you should start seeing roots off of your clones. I then put the clones into small 1 inch grodan blocks and then put that 1 inch block into the 3-4 inch block. Put that block under floros in your regular system and they will start growing immediately.

I have been experimenting with one thing different now which seems to work a bit better. Normally I just use Olivia's cloning gel on the clone but I have now started using clonex. Clonex is way more than Olivias in cost but I dip my clone in Clonex and after I'm done puting the clones in the styrofoam I pour some clonex directly into the water which creates a soapy bubbly look on top of the water. Olivias just sinks to the bottom of the tank and lays there in a glob.

In regular stoner fashion I also forgot to mention that I wrap duct tape around all the glass of the aquarium to seal light off from the sides of the tank.

Depending on what type of cloning gel you buy the whole setup is around 100-130 bucks total. I like it because it is very low maintenance once the clones are in the foam. Just check the water about once a week and if its low fill it but many times I don't have to do anything until the clones have rooted. My success rate is awesome and you can start a ton of clones in the tank.

Just my preference and very low maintenance. I have cloned about every way possible and this has worked so much better for me and faster than anything else. Hope this helped

4. i have tried 3 different methods from 1 plant and have had 100% success without any rooting hormones, or a heated trey, or anything special really. i've put them in a 2 liter cut in half (ghetto humidity dome) with perlite and a little water, within a week i had roots from 2 clones.

i've also build an aero bucket for them. this method took almost 3 1/2 weeks for the last one to root, but it did. the bucket had plain tap water (no nutes, or rooting gel), after 3 1/2 weeks i was 4 for 4. 3 took in root in 2 weeks...the last was a small cut but it did root. this method did not have a humidity dome, or anything of the sort.

the latest method was a humidity trey, an island of perlite in the trey and some rockwool cubes. i did not adjust the water to 5.5 before putting my clones in it. i did let the cubes soak in my tap water (ph 7.05) for 3 -4 hrs before putting my cuttings in it. i then put them in the trey and within 1 week all 4 clones have shown roots. again no rooting hormone was used. i have some rootech i haven't needed any yet.

i placed all of my clones under 1 26w cfl in a closet where them temp rarely gets below 80.

patience is probably the biggest thing. also, make sure you change out their water weekly. you can keep cloning a flowering mother, although rooting may take a little longer. another thing to consider, is genetics. some are a bitch to clone, and some take to certain methods better than others. i figured my aero bucket would be the fastest, in reality, it was the slowest but still effective.

5. I had sketchy at best results when I 1st started cloning, I read many times "even beginners have almost a 90% success rate" in several books,
    in the beginning I had a higher success rate, it seemed every batch the numbers got worse to almost 0 success rate.
    I built a Rumple Bucket with out any better results, that made me decide to go back to the beginning when I had the best numbers, back to rock wool & the dome.
    I prep the rock wool soaking for 30min in 5.5-6.0 water & then rinsing with 6.0.
    I cleaned the dome and do so now at least once every other week or month, take twice as many cutting as I need, if I keep getting good numbers I may not need to keep doing this, drain & water with 6.0 R/O & super thrive everyday, in the beginning I had no idea of
    how often to drain & water, sometimes I would go 3 days.
    I cut them to around 6"ss and split the bottom to expose the cambria (sp), use cloning gel-Clonex and then stab them into the rock wool.
    I use 3x3 cubes and put 6-9 cuttings in each.
    Use 7.0 water to spritz as often as I'm around them, I recently started using Seaplex to spritz with, its to soon to tell what effect its having, around 7-10 days I may add botanicare/bloom to the clone water for watering with.
    Heat pad at 80^, 68w lights of America CFL porch light, I usually see roots around day 21, I recently had cuttings root from a month old plant in 11 days and t-planted around 14 days and are looking good in the veg box, this is a record for me :hello:.
    I used to think it wasn't as important to trim the leaves down to 2-sets cut in half, I think it is important to keep trimmed back and cut away the older yellowing leaves if new healthier ones grow out of the clone,
    there is a recommended carb feeding days before taking cuttings, I've never done this.
    I definitely noticed my numbers increased when I started watering only with 6.0 water, before this I would use 7.0 because I had it and was to lazy to p/h it down to 6.0, reduce the R/H as they get older, 7 days plus.
    I've been in one large clone room and the thing that stood out was the air circulation, it was a 5x8 room and all the walls were racked with clone domes and they had 5 oscillating fans running.
    I made cloning the most important project for a few months, sometimes just practicing taking cuttings & prepping them, I now have a dedicated "box of tools" & what not for cloning, thats another issue being prepared when you sit down to make clones is important to me, having everything with in arms reach makes a big difference.
    Spray the clones for S/M every 3-7 days, even if you don't see any signs, I think sometimes S/M are working on your clones and sapping them of there energy before you can see them with you eyes, my over all clone yellowing decreased when I became more S/M pro-active.
    I hope this helps, I'm sure you know most or all of this, but sometimes we forget the basics.
    K.I.S.S.
    Seymor Skagneti

6. Wow, lots of replies. I'm happy to see that there are so many helpful people here.

I'll try clonex next, sounds like a few of you guys like it better than olivia's. I'll probably use up the rest of what I have first (just the tiny 2oz bottle) and move on from there.

I am going to buy a small 250gpm pump and build an aeroponic cloning table. I might actually just build something in a 5-gallon bucket first for practice, but I do have a 25-gallon reservoir with lid that is just sitting around, so if I can prototype in a 5-gallon bucket (cheap) then I can use the nice reservoir to make a proper cloning table. I'm not going to buy the $300 ez-clone system when I already have most of the parts on hand (other than the pump and the micro sprayers).

I will also try the direct water culture method greenthinking suggested. I have styrofoam that will work for that. I'll probably use a different container since I don't have an aquarium, but I will figure something out.

iampoluted: I'm interested in the method with the perlite island. Can you link me to a site that shows how that works, or describe it a bit more. Are you saying that you put water in the tray, put perlite in the water and then rockwool on top of the perlite? I might be missing something. I'd like to try that method as well and see how it works.

And the last thing is that I'm going to start removing the dome after the first week, watering them more often, and using a spare cube to test for moisture level.

Instead of splitting the bottom with the knife I think I'm going to cut them so a node is within 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the bottom and tear the leaf off that node peeling the skin off from the node to the bottom. I saw a video on youtube that showed that method and it looks like the best way. First, it leaves the stem in tact but exposes the cabmium along the one side.

So, I will build all of those methods and then I will take a number of clones (at least two for each method) and see what happens. Of the best 2 or 3 methods I will do a second round and see which one is the fastest.

I'd also like to spray some sort of kelp foliar after maybe 7 days to help them survive a bit longer. I think by then they should have switched to root production so it shouldn't slow them down too much, but it should give them a little shot of nutrients to prevent them from getting too depleted if they haven't developed strong roots yet. Does this sound like a good/bad idea?

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will let you know what I find out, and I won't be building it for a bit longer so any suggestions between now and then I'm open for ideas.

7. how about some pics? here's the island method...pretty simple. just a trey with a dome, a little perlite, water, and a rockwool cube. the water hasn't been changed (a week and 1/2 - 2 weeks old now), no nutes in the water and no rooting hormone either. 2 clones have already been set into the veg. cab (3 days ago). pretty cheap and effective. i didn't ph down the rockwool cube to 5.5, it is very acidic as it is. i let the cube soak in tap water for a few hours to bring the ph up a bit (they go to soil, so ph'ing for hydro is pointless imo). i don't cut leaves either, but i have. some yellow at the cut, some don't. some that don't get cut don't yellow at all. i've had different results with every method i've tried.

i also have pics of a simple aero bucket if you'd like to see those. 100% success with it as well.

Attached Files:

8. I started out using jiffy pellets but had very lil luck with them so I switched to rockwool cudes and schlutz rooting hormone (powder from walmart).. Now I have a 100% success rate.. I also use to open the dome and spray down the clones 5 or 6 times a day which only lead to alot of mold problems but after several rounds of trial and error I found the answer to be simple.. Leave them the hell alone LOL.. First I soak my cubes in ph 5.5 distilled water with a drop of peroxide for about 30 minutes (make sure to squeeze out any excess water) then I take my cuttings at about a 45 degree angle place it in the rooting hormone then straight to the cube.. Once the clone is in the dome I only open the dome once in the morning tho spray them down and once before bed.. After you spray them down you simply pick up the cube and give it a light squeeze to release any exccess water.. Within 12 days you'll have a fully rooted clone.. The only other thing I can say is be patient.. Some plants take a lil longer to clone than others.. I have on several occasions ripped out a clone I thought to be a dud only to find roots.. Good luck!!!

9. I was told this is the best cloning solution on the market. I am currently using it:

Dip' N Grow

Supposedly 7 days fully rooted, Im on day two, I'll let you know what happens.

10. i wasted $17 on some rooting hormone that i haven't used or needed...to each their own i guess. keep trying things until you find an easy and reliable method and stick with it. it shouldn't be hard, if it was, i'd have quit growing by now. it shouldn't be complicated unless you are trying your hand at grafting, or cloning without removing a branch. simplicity and time can be your friends when it comes to cloning. just be patient most of all.

11. Are you cloning from a mother from seed or from clone?
    Just wondering for ref.
    Regards,
    S.S.

12. Very good advise :smoking:
    I find the mold or green algae only happened when I used 7.0 P/H water, which I still use in my spritz bottle, watering with 6.0-6.5 seems to suppress the green algae and even makes it go away, I still get it and use H2O2 and a small 2" paint brush to apply by dabbing onto the green algae areas.
    It drives me crazy when I read people getting roots in a week or so, thats my goal.
    Some people never use any rooting gel and some folks just drop cuttings into a glass of water for a week or so & get roots, go figure.
    Regards,
    S.S.

13. i cloned mine from a mother that was grown from seed, that is now being flowered.

14. They say it shouldn't matter, I'm just curious.
    One more thing I just remembered, I get better results with the more clones I have in the dome vs. having 6 or so, the fewer the lower the success rate vs. having 20 or so & getting 18 good rooted clones, might be nothing just an observation.
    This last batch I had 2-cubes of 9 clones, same strain one cube from a month old plant and the other from a year old re-veg mother, the month old plant clones took off fast and the year old re-veg seemed to be almost keeping up, I removed & t-planted the stronger ones and a few days later the year old re-veg clones seemed to have lost its vigor, roots seemed to loose some size and slowed down, it seemed like it was getting something from the cube of stronger clones next to it until I removed them, just an observation.
    I'm done rambling, thans for putting up with me.
    Regards,
    S.S.

15. #16 decarboxylator, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
    iampoluted: so looking at your pics it looks like the rockwool is outside of the water but sitting on pearlite that is in the water. The moisture wicks up through the pearlite into the rockwool and keeps things at the right level? That looks like a very simple method. I may have to try it with my round of experiments. It is so simple I think I may just have to. Thanks for the pics, and yes I would like to see your aeroponic setup to get some ideas. I am about to build one so I can pit the different techniques against each other.

pitbull420: I think you are right. I'm sure that I'm over thinking it. It is hard to just leave them alone. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible on the rockwool tray.

Jack Calico: Let me know how it goes. Olivia's is rooting at around 18-21 days (it may not be the rooting gel that is the problem, I am probably messing something up). I'll try it if you say it roots in 7 days. That would be amazing.

seymor: I hate hearing that too. Some people say they get roots in as little as 5 days and I'm looking at the plants 20 days in with no roots, so yellow they will probably die before they root and wondering what the hell I"m doing wrong.

I guess we will see what works best. I'm going to pick up the pump and sprayers, a small bag of pearlite and another cheap shop light from home depot with some grow bulbs to set up 4 stations with four different techniques. I will take cuttings at the same time from each plant and then track how long it takes to produce roots.

Some of you use SuperThrive, some don't. I think I'll just put the one drop per gallon in there and use that. After 7 or 10 days I'm going to spray with a very light kelp foliar spray on all of them.

I'll treat all of them the same, same water composition (I'll mix one big batch in a bucket and then set some aside for the rockwool tray and fill the aeroponic and direct water culture all with the same water), same light cycle, same everything.

Once I have the two best techniques I'll make more cuttings on the next round and pit those two directly against each other to determine which one is consistently the fastest.

Then I will come back here and post my results.

And then I will go back and keep refining my cloning technique for the rest of my life.

Oh, and when I"m building all of these I'm going to take pictures along the way so I can (someday) put together a howto on building each of them.

This should be fun.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I have been very pleased by how helpful you guys are. My friend lost her job in the banking crash and has been working part time as a traditional caregiver. She wants to work for herself as a MMJ caregiver and if we can get a solid cloning technique down then that is the last thing holding her back.

Thanks for being great guys.

16. #17 iampolluted, Jul 1, 2010
    here's my "aero" bucket...... just 2 buckets, an air pump, an air stone, and a gardeners kneeling pad. i recommend either dark buckets, or light proofing the bottom bucket, and the inside (bottom) of the top bucket so no light can reach the roots. i neglected to do this and set them back a week i think. after i taped it all up roots began to show in as little as 5 days. cut your pads a little bigger than your holes in the bucket so the pads won't fall through and will be snug enough to support the stem/top.

yes the rockwool is just sitting on top of the perlite. the rockwool acts as a wick sucking up the water the perlite is in. hence the "island" of perlite ;). i haven't misted, changed the water, or otherwise touched them, except to see if there are roots in either set up. just plain ole tap water, and time.

Attached Files:

17. #18 decarboxylator, Jul 1, 2010
    That is cool. in that setup you just use an air stone to splash the water? You don't use a pump or sprayer or anything?

How close are they to the water when the two buckets are together? Do the buckets nest or are they just sitting on top of each other?

Thanks for the ideas. I have a really good air pump that would put out some bubbles if that is all it takes, then I don't need to get the big pump and that saves me some money. When I go to the 25 gallon reservoir it will probably take a pump and sprayers, or a lot more air. I can wait until then if I have to.

The pearlite method looks great too. I'll grab a bag of that tomorrow and move the clones I have now over to that.

Thanks again.

Also, good call on the knee pad. I was wondering where I would find neoprene without having to buy special plugs for $2 each.

And yes, I will be using a black bucket. I was just going to use the lid and cut holes in it, but I might get another bucket tomorrow and try the double bucket method like you did.

18. #19 iampolluted, Jul 1, 2010
    i put the stems about 1-2" into the water. it's just the air pump, stone and water. i don't slice up the bottom of the stem to form a Y, as some do. i did try to make cuts into the sides of the stem once but that didn't work. when i cut the nicks out, they rooted pretty quickly.

the buckets are sitting on top of one another. i have put screws in the buckets to keep enough distance between the buckets (when on top of each other) to not pinch the air tube. that's about it.

the neoprene knee pad was the most expensive part of the set up @ $12....go figure.

you could make this set up as small as a tissue box if you wanted to and it will work.

19. #20 decarboxylator, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
    So, I have done some research and tests to try and find the source of the problem. I have another set of clones that have been in rockwool for 4 weeks now, no roots. About a week ago or so I set them all on a pearlite island iampolluted suggested. Still nothing.

I poked around and cross-tested everything including the water. Turns out the "wide range Ph solution" I was using has almost no resolution between about 6 to 3. That entire range is about the same color. I threw another Ph tester in there and it registered 3-ish.

I then took tap water that shows up 7 and added Ph Down 1/4 tsp at a time and tested it. After about Ph 6 I couldn't tell the difference. I put enough Ph Down in there to kill a plant and it still showed up on the color card at about 5.5 for most of the time.

I'm guessing water that is Ph 3 would not support root growth too well. I have flushed out the pearlite with filtered water and then mixed up a batch of water that is closer to ph 6 than 3. I'm letting them sit with this for a while and we will see.

I will also be buying an acid ph solution that just ranges from 7 to 4 instead of a wide range that covers the whole range from 9 to 5.

I will still be doing the big comparison of techniques to let you know but I gotta wait for my next check to buy the submersible pump. I will document the hell out of it and let all of you guys know what worked.

EDIT: I looked it up on the calendar and we cut the current batch of clones 25 days ago, this will be the 26th day. We have 0% rooting at this point so it was either the Ph or something worse. I'll give them until monday to show some signs of roots and then I'll keep looking for the cause if that didn't do it.