Advanced autoflower questions (with pics)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by headshot11, Jun 25, 2010.

1. #1 headshot11, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
    Hello everyone, this is my first time grow.

- I am planning to grow 2 autoflower plants at a time (diesel ryder/polar light)

- I am going to use 200-250W's combined for both plants, consisting of about 6, 42W CFL's. I'm going to use 2-3 vegging bulbs for a week or two until the plants flower, then use all 2700k flowering cfl's. It will be about 8300 lumens on each plant at all times.

- I'll be using LST and SCROG to help control my plants and to produce as much bud sites as possible, so I'll be able to yield the maximum amount from these autoflowers.

- I built a grow box which I'll be using black/white polyethylene (panda film) to line the inside. The dimensions are 33.5" Wide, 27.5" tall, and 17.5" deep (total of 4sq ft)

- I bought bat guano and fox farm grow big/tiger bloom nutrients.

- I am ONLY able to buy Miracle Grow soil (which isn't good) or peat moss in my area. Promix is available but it's far away and only available in 50L bags which is too big for me to transport.

Now my questions:

1. What is the best size container for autoflowers? 3 gallons?

2. I saw a thread about someone using only peat moss to grow, and apparently it
    worked substantially better than regular soil. Would it be a good decision for me to use a mix of peat moss/bat guano/perlite as soil, then add foxfarm nutrients accordingly?

3. What is the best light cycle for autoflowers? 18/6 all the time, 20/4?

4. Is it necessary to put your plant while it's vegging in a small container then keep transplanting it into bigger pots? Or can I just get 2 large pots (3/5galons) and start there?

Thanks.

Here are the picture of my unfinished grow box, I still need to line it with panda film, and install all my fixtures and such.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Do the peat moss i have seen it out produces than soil

3. Yeah that's what I'm most likely going to do.

Would I need to mix in perlite with the peat moss? Or is it not necessary because the peat moss retains moisture? And should I add bat guano for germ/veg because of the high nitrogen content in it?

Can anyone help me with my other questions?

4. use coco peat instead...peat moss is not good to use..bad for environment..coco peat much better ...

http://forum.grasscity.com/coco-coir/620656-askeds-coco-guide.html

use one pot for the whole grow when growing autos.. you can start in Dixie cups or peat pots..but that is about the only transplant you want to have to do on autos.

3 gallon is good ..some strains may do better in 2 gallons and others in 4 gallons..but three is pretty safe

go 20/4 at first ..if not seeing results cut back to 18/6.

Wharf

5. #5 headshot11, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks, the only problem with that is no stores carry coco peat around here.

I will have to call them again to see if they carry that. In the worst case, if they don't carry that, I'll have to go with peat moss. Does peat moss have any nutrients in it already or should I add the guano?

Also as for PH, the only PH meters go for $140+, so would it still be viable to just use PH water (pool) strips to test the water?

6. peat should be pretty neutral ..basically you will be growing hydro in a soil less mix. I would highly recommend getting ASk Eds attention if you go this route for guidance..but I also suggest you go with soil for your first couple grows.. there is little room for error in autos ..and even less in hydro.

look, what kind of MG is in your area..if it is the "organics choice" stuff, you should be okay ( for the most part)using it.

an investment in a PH pen will be mandatory if you grow in Peat..sorry .. those strips will just will not cut it ... the cheapest you can go IMHO is a GH test kit ( shop around).

Wharf

7. Thanks for your reply.

Yeah it's the MG organic choice with nutrients.

Alright I'll buy a PH meter, do I need one for soil and water? or just for water?

What about peat moss? is that also a soil less medium, or would I be able to do a grow in peat moss exactly like I would in soil?

Thanks for your help.

8. As for PH meters, I've found a few which are fairly cheap.

1. Hanna HI 99104 - http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=002003&ProdCode=HI 99104

Ebay: HANNA HI 99104 Digital pH Meter/Tester/Châ€â€¹ecker, HI9910 - eBay (item 220614447782 end time Jun-29-10 17:27:20 PDT)

2. Hanna HI 98107 - HI 98107 pHep pH Tester with ±0.1 Accuracy

Ebay: SALE! NEW HANNA HI98107 98107 PH METER TESTER CHECKER - eBay (item 310216925324 end time Jun-28-10 07:04:12 PDT)

Virtually the same price, which would do you think would be the better choice? Both have 2 points of manual calibration, does that mean I need to order 2 different pH testing solutions with it?