How to produce feminized seeds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by FourTwoOh!, Dec 26, 2009.

1. I'm new here,have read lots of grow journals over the past 3 weeks,and I noticed that whenever growers decide to knock their ladies up for seeds they do it with a male and end up 1000s of seeds that may be from a good strain/pheno but also may be male.I found the way to produce feminized seeds and although it may have been discussed,there's enough growers on GC not using this method to warrant me posting it again.....OK,here we go,easy stuff.First you identify what strains you want to blend.(I always wonder if it makes a difference who's the mother and who's the father.For example if you wanted to cross Cheese with Kush and you crossed a Cheese female with a Kush male,would it turn out different than a Kush female being pollenated with a Cheese male:confused:?Any insight or theories on this would be appreciated)Second you take the chosen females from each strain and on one of them you rub on of the branches with gibberallic acid every day for 10 days.This will cause a hermie branch.Clip the branch from the female,and treat it as you would any clone.When it produces flowers collect the pollen(safest ways to do this can be searched)get your other lasbian lady preggers with the butch plant's pollen,and the resulting seeds will have no male characteristics,leaving you with feminized seeds:hello:.Anyone trying this methods,please post results on this thread as I have just learned of it myself and have yet to try it.Happy Growing

2. i think if it was so simple a lot of people would be doing it and banks wouldn't be charging a lot for them

No real help i know :)

3. As I understand it a female plant is stressed into hermaphoditism and then allowed to pollinate itself (or has its pollen extracted and used to pollinate another plant). If you happen to have a hermie you could probably get feminized seeds from it, but I don't know for sure.

e: should have read the op i guess

4. I read an article years ago in High Times and a grower wrote in claiming he could make fem seeds by mixing 2 aspirin tablets in a gallon of water and watering a female flowering plant in its second week of flowering and this plant would pollinate its self making 99.9% fem seeds. I have never tried this but High Times had other letters from veiwers claiming it worked. I have found in my experience that hermie plants will produce hermie seeds. As always this is just my thoughts.

5. Right, hermie a flowering female plant and harvest the pollen, use on another female. Result - feminized seeds. Good luck getting your hands on some gebberellin though, you could fuck with the light cycle instead to hermie your plant.

6. Wow! Cool, didn't know you could buy that stuff! Pretty expensive though, screwing their light cycles up is free, and sure to cause a hermie, eventually.

7. Using GA to force a few select budsites to hermie is, in fact, one of the main methods of producing femmed seeds. You do not want to hermie an entire female, only a select budsite or two. But it's tricky to get the application of GA just right etc. In addition, certain strains and crosses when feminized are not very stable and the plants from those seeds can tend to hermie, breeders have experimented and refined their feminizing such that the femmed seeds they sell are stable.

You mentioned harvesting the female pollen and then using it to fertilize a "lesbian" plant -- meaning what? Are you suggesting that the plant that gets pollinated also has to be treated with GA to produce a hermie bud? If that's what you're saying that is not accurate, once you have feminized pollen you can (and should) use it to pollinate a "regular" female.

OP, you said you haven't tried it, it's not very instructional to others until you have and can relay the details of exactly how you did it successfully (or failed) because it can be tricky and you can get seeds that hermie on you.

8. Really? One of the places selling it on that search had it for less than $10 a bottle.

The big advantage to that over messing with your light schedule is that it's more certain, and a lot more controllable. You can treat just one small branch of one plant to force it to go hermi rather than everything in your grow area.

9. from what i have gathered if you take pollen from a hermie pollen sack and pollenate a female plant you will get seeds that will either produce a hermie or a female 50/50 shot. and the more times you repeat the process by pollenating your new females you get from hermie seeds this will stabilize female as the dominant trait in your seeds in the end. this is why fem seeds can get expensive. they can take a long time to stabilize as female. thus incuring high man hours to produce good enough seed to sell as feminized. but the seed banks dont use majic to make their seeds you can make them at home. most people buy seeds to skip all this bullshit. me included:smoking:

10. I also prefer to buy femmed seeds, I don't need that many to start a whole program of my own feminizing and then stabilizing. I can get a wider variety of strains/genetics that way as well. And many folks who want all female at a higher volume turn to cloning rather than feminized breeding for a DIY solution.

11. my thoughts exactly. you got a good head on your shoulders toasty. you also give alot of good advice around here. i'd rep you again if i could:smoking: cloning is the way to go

12. I just called it lesbian because it was being pollenated by another female...and true I havn't tried it,but in the months it takes me to somebody else can already have their own shot at it,probably someone with more space and time to experiment than me.I will try it by spring though.Also very true about breeders refining their methods thru experimentation,but for that matter so can we.In fact,everything we do from lighting,ferting,etc. is pretty much a continuing refinement of methods tried from prior grows,am I wrong?

13. #14 FourTwoOh!, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009

Yeah me too,its obviously the way to go,but I was just noticing in a bunch of grow journals how people were aiming for seeds but they just let a male grow and pollinated that way.This way you don't have to waste the space,you're more likely to end up with females,and as far as instability,breeding a male and female from the same mother(inbreeding) leads to unstable seeds as well,yet many do it. Also more and more people are looking to open dispensaries,or aspire to become breeders themselves,so at some point buying from other breeders wont be the way to go for them.As far as cloning,easily the best option,but if I wanted to keep a strain but didn't necessarily want it in my garden at that time,I'd want to be able to store seeds.Cant freeze a clone and pull it out next summer

14. any input on the (male A+female B) v.(female A+male B) question?I know that's going WAY farther into genetics than most of us need to go,but hell I'm curious,and I'm sure breeders have run this experiment before

15. geesh Humper he just stated the obvious,no need to rep for that

16. I would think yes do to with the fact that you get certain traits from each sex. So some traits would be different in the (female A + male B) vs. (female B + male A) resulting seeds. But as well there may be some strains that become more stable when done female A + male B rather than female B + male A. Past that I don't think I really know much else and that is even if what I said is even correct, hahahaha!:D

17. hey,correct or not,I appreciate at least sharing your theory.I don't talk to anyone I know about this stuff so I need you guys to bounce ideas off.Even if (when) I say something completely incorrect,I appreciate being told so by other growers before I put bs into practice.