Do I plant seed with root facing up or down? Please help, few questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Piffington, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Please help, do I plant the seed as soon as I see the root coming out, or do I let the root get longer? Also, when I plant it, do I plant the root facing down, or up. Also, is it ok to use a HPS through veg & flower as long as its 18/6 then 12/12, is it really neccessary for a metal halide for veg or will HPS do with a couple fleuros? Any help is greatly appreciated, as I just failed 10 expensive seeds.=(

2. Let the root get about a 1/4 inch long from when it popped the seed. Any shorter is fine, but you shouldn't really let it get much longer.

And you want to make sure you put the seed with the root down. The root goes down, the stem grows up ;).

3. I'm guessing you germinated on a paper towel and your going to grow in soil? Plant very gently with the root down about a 1/4 inch in the soil. Use gentle light for the seeding or it will burn up. How did you fail 10 seeds?

4. +rep my bro thank u so much as always. sadly i had to throw away 1 of the little girls. i definantly advice everybody not to buy the world of seed afghan kush ryders. Also, is it ok to use a HPS through veg & flower as long as its 18/6 then 12/12, is it really neccessary for a metal halide for veg or will HPS do with a couple fleuros throughout the whole cycle?

5. haha it wasnt 10 i have 2 of my afghan kush ryders left which are small as fuck and werent perfected yet and i should have looked it was a terrible auto flowe strain, i dropped 1 of them a couple weeks ago and it didnt end up surviving, curled up. planted 2 AK47xLowryders and 1 of them got a leaf burnt from bein to close to the light, and 1 is growing its just not growing fast at all. the rest were bag seeds a few months ago. hopefully these little afghan kush ryders will hit a growth spurt or something. do autoflower strains stop budding completely after a certain number of days?

6. You can use the HPS throughout the whole grow, MH lights are just prefered to veg. Although I would still prefer to use CFLs to veg, unless I wanted to veg a lot of plants... but anyway that doesn't help you.

Like I said, just use the hand technique for the HPS lights. If you can't keep your hand on top of your plants because the light is too hot, then move it up an inch or two. If your hand is comfy, so are your plants.

7. #7 aj69420g, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009

Do work is correct, 1/4 inch long plant down, If its hard to get it down, kinda on the side is ok too. You dont wanna hurt the root-tap trying to get it down :p

And yes HPS + some CFL's or fluorescents will be fine for the whole way through(dont use the HPS for the first 10-14days you may stress them.) My last grow I used MH conversion and MH is good(Conversions ARE CRAP), But when it melted I used 400w HPS lamp w/ x8 26w 6500k CFLs. Totaling 61,400 lumen's. But this was for 5 plants.

I would do at least 1 26w=100w 5500k-6500k CFLs per plant. You need at least 3000-4500 lumen's to grow a plant. But since you have HPS, 1 26w CFL per plant should suffice, since you are just looking to get the spectrum from the fluorescent not lumen's. remember the more light the better :)

And as far as schedule's, I wouldn't do 18/6 to veg. 6 Hours is way too much photosynthesis and chlorophyll time lost. I did 24 hours for the first ten days (you'd use your CFL's non stop here.) Then each day gave them another hour of darkness (easy as nature would do.) So by day 14(when you should be first turning the HPS on.) they are on 20/4. I've had a few grows under my belt, and this seems to work best for me.

Also, are you using tube fluorescents? T5's? T8's?