New 16,000 lumen fixture

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by apacolypz, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Received a response from S.F. Sage earlier this year about making a vanity fixture. Yesterday i decided to make one. It took me 2 minutes from the information Sage had given me. There are 10 bulbs here with lumen count individually 1600-1850 each. So for about 10$bucks you can add some needed to light to your space to little cost.

So wanted to share.

APZ thanks:hello:

Attached Files:

2. In my opinion, I would seperate those CFLs into 1-2 bulb fixtures and have them everywhere, versus all on the top there...

3. #3 apacolypz, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
    bump....light does go everywhere, and again this is in addition to my big metal Halide, I don't want light on the bottom, I am trying to help direct light to the plants below the fixture. Not cover walls or carpet with light. But I appreciate the response. When they get bigger, I will see if they could use some extra light and the bottom of the layout.

4. Should I flower now? Any suggestions on this because earlier this year in my first grow I Vegged for 3 and half months. Going into I had 3ft tall babies and ended up with damn near 5ft tall 12 plants at end of harvest.. With HUGE fucking COLAS. But I also used my grow tent which I am not using this grow. So with light being reduced about 20% I was considering flowering within two weeks after some more training. I just dont want to rush vegging and not having the strength for flowering.

Thanks,

APZ

5. Hey folks,

Just and update*

400watt MH/HPS cool tube, 45,000 lumen 6500k
    vanity fixture with mylar hood CFL, 15,750 lumen 5500-6600k (homemade DIY)
    18 plants-Crystal, Afgan x Mazar and some mixed indicas.
    1 month and three weeks in to Veg.
    feeding Big Grow FF, Alaskan Fish Fertilizer, Molasses
    Indoor closet setup
    A few more weeks of veg training and I will flip the switch to 12/12

When I flower I will use

400watt MH/HPS cool tube, 55,000 lumen 2700k
    vanity fixture with mylar hood CFL, 16,660 lumen 2700-3000k(homemade DIY)
    Air cooled HPS 150watt 16,000 Lumen
    Tiger Bloom FF, Open Sesame and Beatie Bloom FF nutes
    12-14 plants

Pics as they come will be updated.

Please respond if you have something Thanks,

APZ

Attached Files:

6. might just be the camera, but a few of those light bulbs look like they aren't quite as bright as they should be. perhaps you don't have enough current to satisfy the bulb's demands?

7. Nope it is very very bright! Plus the connectors only push out 60watt max, so even if it is 100watts I will lose 40w per bulb just with the connectors. The picture was taken to allow viewing of the plants. If I would of focused it would of have a huge bright spot instead of the picture. If I even stare briefly in the grow space im blinded for about 8 seconds. Thanks for your concern to respond but brightness is not my issue here luckily lol. Now actually looking at the picture it is odd that it came out so dark???!! esp from the other pics which were taken in the same space? Anyhoo no worries

8. This isn't correct. Your "connectors" may be rated at 60 watts but they'll pull 100 through them until they burn up.
    As far as spreading the lights around the grow I think you're missing the point. You can get substantial growth on the sides of your plants by lighting the sides. He's not suggesting you light the floor or walls. You use reflectors to reflect the light back to the plants.

hope that helps.

9. No I totally understand what he is saying. I don't need any lighting perhaps right now on the sides. You can't picture what I see but my grow room right now has no need for lighting on the bottom. Because I am LST I am utilizing the lights I have to penetrate the areas that needs more light. But the grow space is incredibly bright. But anyhoo not trying to debate about anything esp my own space. But like I said when I need more light to spread about the bottom I will do so. The only reflector I use is with the hood I made. Obviously to throw light back downward. There are also mylar sides within my space so light is reflected back to the plants from every door and inside wall. Again thanks for your responses.

APZ

10. Are you not going to use molasses during flower, only during veg? I thought it was supposed to help the buds form during flowering?

11. #11 apacolypz, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2009
    Yeah I will, I use it lightly during Veg but during flower I will kick it up a bit. From my earlier harvest this year I def enjoyed the usage of Mola. It helps with so much in our operations lol. The soil, the stem, the buds, the trichs all affected by this sugary residue. I will use it like twice a month or little more when I get into flowering. But right now I water with it for soil and carb booster for my plants stems and legs. My roots love it too. They seem to jump and glow when I feed em. I don't and wouldnt use too much. Could def affect your plant after too much. But always check your ph and u r solid! NEXT DAY RESULTS!

12. gotcha. I don't use side lighting either, seems like too much effort for too little gain. the 1000 watters do the job nicely.

:bongin:

13. Yeah i am right there with ya. I rearranged my setup so things look a little clearer in my future pics :). I am also making room for my additional 150 hps air cooled sun hood. So I will have a nice span of light for flowering. For a space of 4x4 I will have over 88,000 lumen. Thinking of how I could effectively setup a screen for scrog. But it is always fun to play around. I want to reduce some plants but I flowered 12 girls from the same light sources early this year. And light vs bud production was not an issue. with eight plants I had half pd of dank buds. With all 12 i harvested I had over a pd of weed. Though I used 4 oz for brownies, hash, oil, and butter. I am trying to correct issues I had before. So with my current low bushy bitches I am expecting something better. Anyhoo pics updated soon.

APZ

14. Did some rearranging like I said, and here are some pics. :D I tried to add the mylar sheet best I could with two hands lol. But here we are.... Tomorrow makes 7 weeks to 2 months Vegg. LST, Topping, one Fimmed plant, Crystal and Afgan Mazar. The rest a seeds from my earlier grow. Mostly mixed indicas.

Thanks

:wave:

Attached Files:

15. Sup guys just another picture update. Some of my leaves are discoloring. I have laid off feeding ferts for my girls and I havent used any alaskian Fish fertilizer in a while. When I have been feeding its just been ff big grow. But these girls are showing signs of what looks to be zinc, calcium and or magnesium? Any help would be awesome. I have just been feeding water for like a week and a little more now? Thanks, I mean they'll recover I just dont want to lose anymore leaf matter in the process.

APZ thanks:confused::)

Attached Files:

16. Well I didnt receive any responses from my last post which is sad but no problem. I sprayed my leaves with a little solution of Epson salt and water. They def appear greener and the veins have gotten a little better. I know the damaged leaves will not recover but all in all things look clear. I will water for the next few times with store bought. I dont want to think about leaving water to sit out. The afgan mazar is finally jumping in front of me. This little lady grows so slow it seems. But finally she is starting to sprout out with some nodes. Soon I will tame them and pray for a nice bush of mazar. The crystals are easy to grow. They all have shot up really well. Man they really have a great smell to them. Probably one more week then flower time!:hello:

Attached Files:

17. #17 apacolypz, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2009
    Hey folks,

just an update on my process...my girls will be switched to 12/12 next week. I will water Sunday with a little prebloom mix from ff. My plants have totally recovered from their def issue. I put about 1 oz of dolomite lime on top of the soil and watered with pure water. I am thinking i will get about 5 males total. From the plants if I believe from my memory male plants have big fan leaves and their flowers grow upward? I noticed some today in the closet. I may still cross the male crystal with the afgan x mazar. IDK but anyway looking good. Wish I had a screen. Again for new readers 400watt hps/MH, homemade 16000 cfl fixture around 240watts. When I flower I will have a aircooled 150watt hps to accompany the grow lights. Anyhoo thanks for looking and responding.

APZ

PS. pic 2 is the crystal plant
    last pic is the afgan mazar

:hello:

Attached Files:

18. What exactly does spraying your plants with epson salt and water do? Just curious because I though I read somewhere that salt if bad for marijuana plants. But if not, I'd like to know what the benefits are, because I have some epson salt lying around the house.
    Great looking plants by the way

19. Thanks man, DON'T REGULARLY SPRAY YOUR PLANTS WITH EPSON SALT! I just needed it for assistance with magnesium. BY spraying your plant absorbs the mixture much quickly. I spray my plants with Big Grow and bat guano nitrogen. Thats all if or when I do apply. In flowering you do not want to spray or mist at all. Maybe fogoponics?
    Thanks again
    APZ

20. Well I didn't think I would do it but I did. Today I flipped the switch and broke down my grow room for HPS 2700k lighting. I am using four diff light sources

1 400 watt HP HPS 55,000 L
    2. 150 watt HPS air cooled fixture 16,000 L
    3. DIY 240 watt 17,000 L
    4. (4) single mogul socket lights (1870-3740)L each

1.humidifier/AC/FAN
    2.2 OS fans

4x6 Grow Tent (outside grow closet)
    5x5 closet space

I placed all the plants that could males in the tent without a fan. The temps are at 76-80 degrees and humidity is at 35% right now. All my girls are in the closet. I am closely watching them but its kind of easy at times to spot the males.

two weeks to preflower and then off the race starts.

The girls sat in darkness today and when I turned the light on they had grew a noticeable bit.

I love my way of LST. Its odd but it works lovely. I did a few different ways but when they start to shape I will take single shots. LOVE MY LITTLE BUSHES! But new pics will be up tomorrow!