Flowering sativas early

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Njayjay, Apr 15, 2009.

1. #1 Njayjay, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
    Hi there, i'm thinking of growing a couple of different sativa strains (arjan's haze, kali mist) and I would like to flower them early say, after about 2 weeks veg or so, to keep the height manageable and overall grow times down.

Does this make the plant too stringy? What yields can I expect?
    I was wondering if this is in any way detrimental to achieving the full maturity of the plant.
    A friend told me if i do that the final product won't be the real killer kali mist or haze smoke, as far as the high goes, too, that you get when fully grown out. So I'm wondering what the deal with this is.

Also is there anything else I should know about flowering heavy sativa dom strains really early. Thanks in advance.

2. I don't think it will really cut down on potency. As long as they are allowed to go the distance during flowering, they should be good. Short vegging will only make the plant smaller, and that will cut down on yield.

3. #3 TehBigDoob, Apr 15, 2009
    1. The two main problems that will make your plant stringy, regardless of strand (sativa or indica) is light and your plants becoming root bound. As long as your plants are getting adequate amounts of light and your pots are big enough you won't have any "stringy" or stretching problems. Indicas will naturally have shorter space between internodes and are generally smaller plants though.

2. The amount of time you let your veg has no direct effect on potency of the final product. As long as you let your plants go through its full flowering cycle it won't be an issue. Chinch on flowering and your total yield will be in a world of hurt, as well as quality.

3. Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about. That's why you ask the GC community.... because we do.

Any more questions you know where to find me :wave:

4. Thanks for the insight BigDoob and the others, that clears up a lot.
    Happy smoking.

5. #5 ledman, Apr 15, 2009
    Hi man,
    so u decided to grow a sativa strain..ok..

Things u have to know:

- sativa is mostly an outdoor strain.

- 4 weeks on veg stage are enough, they need longer time than indica..'cause normally sativa grow with daylight. This is valid for flowering too, if u want best harvest, u have to flower 'em not less that 10/12 weeks..

- remember. they will tend to grow tall as every sativa, expecially the main branch or the head top as u prefer..best thing will be if u can train 'em from veg stage. This tech is usually call "bondage" either..

Here on forum there are few members that know about it..u can learn from pics they posted or ask 'em.. Mr Postman and Zpyro.

- growing in hurry is the worst way..;);)

- temperature and humidity can run a little more higher than indica, sativa comes from tropical or equatorial climate.

- they need to develop a bigger roots system instead of sativa, look at the bucket size :)

- i agree with one member, ur friend didn't know enough 'bout growing ;)

Cheerz:smoking:

6. #8 amoril, Apr 15, 2009

no offense bud, but have you ANY experience with 12/12 from seed?

first, id like to know how having a feminized plant DECREASES your chance of a hermaphrodite? Everything I know about feminization tells me that if anything, it increases the chance of intersex plants, and I think the consensus agrees with that statement.

Now, I ask because that statement is almost completely backwards, imo. 12/12 from seed most certainly does NOT work best with indica

its preferred when growing hybrids or sativa dominant strains, as you are *banking* on the stretch going down. If its a pure indica, it wont stretch continue growing into the 12/12 flip,

As well, in an effort to gain the height, my experience has been that indicas will go into one true stretch, where the nodes just grow apart...up to 6" apart. And those are just indicas that have been grown into a 2 week veg period or so.

Sativas however, will continue some growth into 12/12. As a result, you can start a plant in seed at 12/12, and get something that is a respectable 18-24" tall, and almost entirely bud.

If you dont believe me, Ill post pics tonight....but youve got it backwards man.

to the OP, you are definately on the right track. Theres some good info in the IC thread if you need it.

7. Mmm..

First of all, i think everyone is free to speak..

Second, i speak from my own experience, u from yours, i respect this. And i still beliveve in what i wrote. Believe me, it doesn't mean nothing if i am member here from few months..i'm not a boy :) And now i have free time for myself..and i did like to share my exp with other growers, and even help new grower or anyone..if i am able to do it:D

Some people in this forum can tell you..

I don't have and i don't want show anything to anyone..everyone is free to choose his own way ;) About me, i learn everyday more 'bout everything..still now..;)

I don't have pics now..i just start seedling, not in 12/12 ..and usually i send pics of my job to everyone is interest..few times i post something. My choice ;) I never made too much pics.

And i realy don't understand why u was so aggressive..u don't smoke??!!! If u have a different opinion, for me it's ok, i'll respect this..and if want post some pics..i am always happy to look nice plants;)

Cheerz:smoking:

8. Read that thread I posted about 12/12 from flower. There are examples of sativas that were grown 12/12 from seed with amazing results.

Also think about this - lots of big and potent sativas grow outdoors near the equator and get more or less 12/12 from seed.

9. i wasnt trying to be aggressive man, sorry if it came off like that.

I just feel that you have your indica and sativa a little mixed up, Im just trying to clarify for all the people who preach what they read....no point in spreading things that are backwards.

Ill post those pics later...Ill take some tonight when im in my garden, and post those, so you can see what Sativa plants look like when the seed is germinated in a 12/12 environment.

In my experience, starting a Sativa into a 12/12 photoperiod is a very successful method to get great results without having to allow for a lot of space that sativas normally require.

I just didnt want your post to orient the op to think that this would not work. because it does. well.

10. How long was the overall grow time when you did that? Was did it make teh flowering any longer than indicated? Also what strains have u grown this way and how were the yields? Thx in advance

11. Look into LST to keep the plant low, increase budsites, and maximize light penetration.

12. #14 amoril, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
    As promised, a few pics of plants born into a 12/12 environment.

These pics are of 2 plants, Germination started about Feb 1, visible flowering March 1st....so, these two ladies are just about done with their 7th week of flowering. Keep in mind, theyre only 10 weeks from seed....and all growth is in the flowering cycle.

strain is a mostly sativa bagseed cross ive grown for a bit now. I say mostly sativa, even though these represent a slightly hybrid look. But, after about ~30 plants grown out of the same seedstock, im confident in my assessment lmao.

Attached Files:

13. And, for those who only want to see purchased genetics.

Arjan's haze and strawberry haze are in the pic with two plants. Neville's Haze is in the pic with one plant. No GHS flaming please...I aint taking clones lmao.

anyhow, these ladies are ~2 weeks from germination. No visible flowering yet, probably another 10-14 days.

Attached Files:

14. #16 ledman, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009

No problem Amoril, we stay here because we love what we do..!!

And as i told ya, i try to learn more everyday, and i've read with attention ur post and the link u suggest me..and i've realized that something change with 12/12 tech..i learn it..

My mind is always open to change ideas..if someone like u give me serious reason to do it :)

May be i try with a couple of seed in 12/12, u know i live in a small island in thailand..and i'm able to reach great seeds here..thai sativa, nice plants here ;)
    But thai don't have any culture and any care 'bout growing, the 80% of their plants are ermaphrodite..what a shame!!!!!!!:p

I'll post some new pics asap too..for the moment i post one of my last grow..northernlights x haze..

Hope we stay in touch for share our passion, and thanks i admit i learn more today about 12/12 seedling..i was wrong!! Can happened..i'm not perfect :D

Even if i grow since last..15 years..it's nice to realize that u never know enough..expecially when u tried almost every growing tech!!

Can u tell me about ur GR set ?

Do u want some thai sativa seed? i'll be glad to send it to u if u want;)

Cheerz:smoke:

Attached Files: