How Effective Are Charcoal Can Filters?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by zen_420, Feb 25, 2009.

1. for a small indoor garden, enclosed in a homemade grow box (made of plywood), maybe 6-10 average bag seed plants grown under cfl with air circulation, if I vented the air-out into an active carbon/charcoal can filter, and then vented that back into my house, would my family be able to detect any weed smell? Also, I will have a fan blowing into the air-in without a filter, can the smell escape from there if I have a constant supply of air being blown into that hole? after a while, could the smell permiate through the plywood itself? I've been thinking of modifying one of those automatic air freshener dispensers to dispense a blast of ozium every hour or so...thoughts on that??? and, from personal experience, can anyone recommend a good filter? how long do they last? also, please feel free to discuss smell issues you've had in the past/are having. Thanks for the help, grasscity; and have a happy toke today.

2. Make sure there is negative pressure so no smell or air can leak out. A can filter will most probably filter all the smell or invest in some ONA if it gets bad. I run ONA and a homemade charcoal filter with 4 plants and i`m golden.

3. #3 zen_420, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
    Thank you, Bartic. I'm guessing that ONA stands for odor neutralizing aparatus...?
    I googled it and on rollitup.org, it had mixed reviews. How did you build your homemade filter? I was thinking of investing in a professional one...

4. ONA = odor nurtralizing agent the active ingredient in the setup you found on rollitup.

I homemade mine uring some 1 inch square chicken wire, activated charcol, some panyhose and a couple hose clamps. I think there are 2 tutorials on the city search for it. If you have the cash pony it up in my opinion. Remember u`ll also need a fan strong enough to pull or push tyhrough the filter. Mine lasts around 3-4 months.

Ps. do you own the home you are growing in

5. no offense, but your filter set up sounds pretty ghetto, so I think I'll just buy one...not worth the jail time. and yea, i own the home.

6. His probably is ghetto, as is mine, and many other GCers(well some look down right PRO). they work just as well but if you want the peace of mind or dont trust your DIY ability order one

7. Well I just purchased a 27 pound filter with a 6inch 450+ cfm fan and I was told I was pretty much goldenup to 3000w worth of bulbs. Right now I have 1 1000w with hopefully 30 plants under it and I was told ill be fine. I guess ill let you know. but They basically built my whole set up for me for 400$ including all the brackets fittings and aluminum ducting I needed.

8. Extremely effective.I use one myself. Twelve plants,450 inch cfm blower.Charcoal can filter with four inch exhaust.I vent it right into my living room. I don't use any kind of deodorizers. I do however have upper and lower seals on my grow room door. Hope this has been helpful.:cool: