Fan Leaves Fall off at end of FLowering

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bruce6000, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Anybody know what could be causing the fan leaves to yellow, wither and fall off during the end of the flowering cycle? Is this normal? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. #2 Mr.Bubb-es, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
    It is very much normal assuming your definition of end of flowering and mine are the same. The plants are just finishing up using every bit of stored energy they can.

It wouldn't hurt to post some pictures for the most accurate diagnostic. Other information would also help, feeding, lights, flower time...

3. #3 bruce6000, Jan 11, 2009
    I'm on the last week of the flowering cycle. Next weekend I'm chopping her down. This is some bagseed stuff so it doesn't look great and it's the first time I've grown using soil.
    [​IMG]

4. All sounds good to me, I would suggest make sure you are using a microscope of sorts to pin your chopping to get the best results.

Can we see some pictures ? :D

5. Sorry, I edited my last comment and posted a picture there. Check it out.

6. #6 Mr.Bubb-es, Jan 11, 2009
    Looks good to me. I think a SMALL bit of the yellowing can be prevented with additional nutrients but what you see is completely normal.

If you are looking for some reassurance, here is a widow of mine in the same boat. Leaves yellowing, getting crispy, and even falling out during the last week.

uppertg6.jpg

You have come this far, just make sure you are harvesting when the trichromes are right :)

7. Thanks dude. That widow looks good, gives me a lot of reassurance. I've been trying to use a magnifying glass to get a closer look at the trichs, but this schwag barely has any, only very close to the stem, so they're hard to look at. Doing the best I can though. I determined that a good 20% are amber. So she's going down next week. Thanks for your help.

8. Thanks man. I'm hoping home grown schwag smokes better than purchased schwag. I'll definitely look into picking up one of those microscopes. Peace.

9. Bruce.. that looks perfect for the end of flowering dude..

that's exactly what you want.. all of the nutes sucked out of the leaves at the end.
    Nice work man!

10. it looks great pretty leafy but what can you expect from stress seeds i heard most of em can't even be germinated because they get crushed i like the tops you did

11. The plant knows it is around the end of its life cycle so it puts all the energy it can into the buds.

The fan leaves are used for gathering energy during the vegging time, since this is no longer the case the leaves tend to die. no big deal.

12. Fan leaves are warehouses for the plant's stored nutrients. When the plant nears the end of flowering it draws down these nutrients, for two reasons: first is that the plant is devoting as much of its energy as possible to the flowering process and is willing to sacrifice fan leaves for that end, but also (hopefully) you stopped feeding a couple of weeks before harvest to improve the taste of your bud, which does cause the plant to draw down its nutrient reserves even faster.

So, especially if you are seeing the yellowing from the bottom leaves first, this is normal. However, in your photo Bruce it's hard to tell but that plant doesn't look like one week from harvest to me. Can you get a closer shot of the buds/tops?

13. #14 bruce6000, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
    I know what you mean, the buds are very leafy. I can't explain it. It's bagseed and it's the first time I grow on soil so maybe I did a poor job. It's been in the flowering cycle for several months and the buds aren't filling in very nicely, don't know what's up. What I do know is that 20% of the trichs are amber, so I decided to chop her down. Maybe I'm using the wrong nutes- don't know.

Thanks for the advice guys.

BTW: here are a few closeups requested by toastybiz. Let me know what you guys think, should I let her flower longer, etc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]