Soil mix for 12/12 from seed grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by impeachme2, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Since flowering stage requires less nitrogen, I was wondering what a good soil mix would be for flowering from seed. If necessary, I can start in pro-mix and transplant into a good flowering mix. I have local access to fox farm products, pro-mix, and nearly every soil additive on the market. I'd prefer to keep it organic, and have a soil mix where I won't need to feed it much. Remember...flowering from seed.

Thanks!

2. After about a week or 2 transplant to your permanent pot, Don't feed your plants for about 4 weeks, your plants use up what's in the soil then you can control what your plant gets in terms of nutrients.

3. Good advice, but it doesn't answer my question.

4. To my knowledge there is no "flowering soil" or "Veging soil" its all in the nutes that you use.
    Sorry if that was unclear.

5. I'm asking what my soil content should be. The two different stages require different concentrations of macronutrients. Practically all soil mixes published on this forum are for grows that will need a certain concentration of macronutrients, which is supplemented by something like worm castings for nitrogen, bone meal for phosphorous, etc. Since flowering calls for less nitrogen relative to phosphorous and potassium, I'm asking what's a good mix for a plant that will not go through a vegetative period.

6. i thought all plants go tru veg (even if it is a small amount) regardless of what light schedule they start under ??

7. a)Correct. Its not necessarily what exsists in the soil. Eventually your plant will use up the nutes in the soil and you will have to start feeding it. The macronutrients you speak of are generally in the Blooming formula that you add to your water.

An example of a good mix is 70% pro mix 20% perlite 10% worm castings. This mix can be used throughout your entire grow. Remember your soil is just a growth media.

b) There is no such thing.

8. So basically, you're saying worm castings don't add any nutrients, if soil is just an inert growth medium. I think you are separating the concepts of plant food and soil nutrients. They are the same thing, just the way you give them to your plant is different. Some people prefer to provide most of the nutrients to their plants by adding nutrients to their water (you). Other people prefer to have slow-releasing organic nutrients already in the soil, while not having to manually feed their plants as much (me).

9. I said no such thing, what I did say was - your soil is just a grow media. Maybe I should have said - just think of your soil as a grow media. I see how that is confusing.

The problem with time released nutes is that you can not control the time in which it is realeased therefore MJ does not respond well to it. You won't find anyone using such things other in this beginners section. If your looking for a cheap way to grow I'm sure you can get away with just the blooming ferts seeing as how you are going 12/12 from the start and you apply it when you are watering anyway. 30$ I'm sure won't put you in a hole that deep.

Different things you can do with castings is brew it in some tea or just sprinkle a little on the top of your soil because again, your plants will use it up.

10. worm castings is something you should never grow without. It adds more than just nutrients it also has loads of micro-goodies and tons of humates which aid in ph regulation.

11. Money isn't an issue so much. I have access to the both Pro-mix BX and HP, which do you recommend? More importantly, what nutes do you recommend for my tek, if I have access to nearly all of them on the market.

12. look into the ultimate pro-mix organic. (the green bag) it feeds with sea weed extract/ shrimp shells. pro-mix is great for seedlings and fully grown plants, 20% extra perlite would help but its really not needed. fox farm is too hot for seedlings. might work but it could run you into some problems. with regular pro-mix go with the extra worm castings and perlite. your not suspose to but if your gonna reuse the promix make sure to use dolomite lime 1 tps per gallon of reused soil to buff out that ph. some grandmas molasses wouldnt hurt either.:D