Reasonable yield expectation?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chemicalcomfort, Aug 10, 2008.

1. #1 chemicalcomfort, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
    In a 10x6 ft room with 2 600w HPS/MH lights, twelve plants, and with R-DWC and ScrOG, would 40+ ounces be a reasonable expectation?

2. #2 Rumpleforeskin, Aug 10, 2008
    It depends on the amount of time you plan on growing. You could get that much off two plants if you veg for two years or so.

What I'm trying to say is, it depends on your plant size at harvest. Some strains grow big and heavy, others don't. Long veg times will yeild more then short veg times. First time growers yeild less on average then long time growers. Co2 with AC and aquarium chillers. I think you get my point

Guessing your harvest would be impossible. Lets just hope you get some good smoke from your test run.

3. While there is some difference between practice and theory.....in theory 1oz for every 50 watts of HID is not unreasonable when planning your grow....people who are pulling out more than that are doing well and are probably considered ahead of the curve. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 chemicalcomfort, Aug 10, 2008
    Hrm interesting. I'm running into lots of conflicting/wrong information then :(

From what I had read, I thought an intermediate grower's average yield was about 1 gram/watt. So 1200w would be 1200g which is roughly 40 ounces.

Or if you look at it square-footage-wise, @ 2/3 ounce per sq. ft., 60 sq. ft. would be about 40 ounces.

I plan on getting the Black Pearl strain from HGS and is supposed to yield an average of 3-4 ounces per plant w/ 5 weeks of veg in soil and being topped once. If they yield 3 ounces per plant, that's 36 ounces.

But thanks for the input Rumple and random! I guess I'll just have to either make a bigger grow area or deal with my lowered expecations. +rep

My first time through I was planning on putting 12/12 on when the screen was about %30 filled (about 3 weeks i'm guessing) just so it doesn't get overgrown, but I suppose depending on how the first grow goes i'll probably end up vegging for much longer to hopefully get closer to my 40 ounce goal.

5. you simply can't plan how much... I don't have a LOT of experience but I have friends in real life who have years and it depends on a hundred different things.. Typically the minimum i've seen them get is 2oz a plant as long as they kept the thing alive and vegged a while.

6. #6 Duckhead, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
    As the old saying goes "Take everything with a grain of salt".

Potential yield vs. reported yield vs. actual yield can be very different numbers.

Part of the problem is the definition of "yield". For me personally I only count the tight trimmed A-grad buds as my yield. If I were to include the very smokable but much less desirable sugar trim and bitty bud then my numbers would be 10% or more higher.

Another issue can be the quality of the trim work. I see lots of pics of folks drying and curing huge colas. For personal use this is great but much of the bud I work with is destined for Cannabis Clubs. The Clubs are fussy and want the colas broken down to at least thumb size. All this extra trimming cuts out stemmage which again lowers the yield.

Another factor is the diminishing returns of adding more wattage. Its relatively easy to micro manage a small grow into efficient gram per watt averages, but those number may not translate into a higher wattage grow..... Just because you can do 250 grams off of 250 watts doesn't mean you'll get 20,000 grams off of 20,000 watts.

Yet another factor is the turn around time. Plants that are veged longer generally produce more .... but take longer to grow and therefore delay your harvest. I use a vege room to overlap my grows so I'm able to harvest every 80 days. A buddy of mine gets much higher yields per harvest than I do, but he only manages to squeeze in 3 grows per year. I fit in 4 harvest per years and end up with a better yearly yield.

With my 3000w vertical garden I have twice achieved 1 gram per watt.

With my 3000w flat garden my best yield was only .68 grams per watt.

Amongst larger growers (5,000 watts+) I know, most of them use the 1 lb per 1,000watts (just under .5 grams per watt) as the average

7. #7 chemicalcomfort, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
    Duckhead: Ooooh okay that seems to make much more sense to me. All very good points. Thanks!

And just to clear up maybe a bit of fuzziness, I realize that because this is one of my first grows, my yields aren't gonna be record breaking and all that. I was just looking for a general guess at what I could start to expect as I gain experience with the grow/strain.

Would it be safe to assume (barring any huge fuck-ups) that I could attain at least 2 ounces per plant with what I described? I definitely feel like I'm prepared for the best and worst of what the plants and system could throw at me and for anything I don't know or can't find info about, I always have the trusted advice of experienced growers here at Grasscity.

But thanks again to everyone for helping a noob in need! +rep

Once again Rumple there for me in time of need, you're the best, dude, no joke. :D

We just bought and installed the A/C in the room yesterday! Next we'll be working on getting the lights. I can't wait till I finally have everything together and can show off everything you guys have taught me. I feel like I have tons of knowledge just waiting to be applied and be solidified with experience.

8. Ok i just got an aerogarden deluxe and im wondering if i should grow 3 feminized clones of big bang, and how long would it take for it too flower???