Indoor HINDU Bush!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by IndoorHinduBush, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hey GC! Welcome to my new and improved grow journal. :hello: I had a grow journal going also but I thought it'd be awesome to reorganize the information from my newbie journal and start over. Anyway I'm going to start with some basic info about my grow and make this my starting point. I started my first seedlings on 15OCT2011 and have been making steady improvements since then, thanks to the help and support of the GC community!

My Current Set-Up:
    Room: 10' Deep (looking at the setup) x 3.8' w (from carbon filter to humidifier) x 10' h (floor to ceiling)
    Top Shelve Lights: Temp-73F,Hum:60%
    x3 Lithonia Lighting T12 Shop Lights = 6x - 40watt GE Plant & Aquarium bulbs @ (Color:3100K) (Lumens:1900). x3 Lights of America Fluorescent Grow Lights, (17watt)(Color:4200k)(Lumens:1093). & x3 26watt GE Energy Smart CFL bulbs @ (Color:5000K) (Lumens:1660).
    Bottom Shelve Lights: Temp-75F,Hum:62%
    x2 Lights of America Fluorescent Grow Light, (17watt)(Color:4200k)(Lumens:1093).
    Bulbs: x6 T12 GE Plant & Aquarium, (40watt)(Color:3100k)(Lumens:1900).
    Grow Containers: 8"H x 3.5'L x 2'W - Sterilite Plastic Containers from Home Depot.
    Carbon Filter: Viagrow 55-110 CFM, 4" Carbon Filter 2/TD Series Fan Combo.
    Humidifier: 2 Quart - VICKS Humidifier W/Hi-Lo Settings. I've used Low the whole grow otherwise it shoots the room up to 90+%.
    Temp: Lasko ceramic tower heater with auto-off thermostat.

***MATERIALS***

8x10 OSB Sheathing
    [​IMG]

Liquid Nails (Projects)
    [​IMG]

Top Shelve Lights
    x3 Lithonia Lighting T12 Shop Lights = 6x - 40watt GE Plant & Aquarium bulbs @ (Color:3100K) (Lumens:1900). x3 Lights of America Fluorescent Grow Lights, (17watt)(Color:4200k)(Lumens:1093). & x3 26watt GE Energy Smart CFL bulbs @ (Color:5000K) (Lumens:1660).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Misc Supplies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bottom Shelve is Veg - Top Shelve Started Flowering On 25Dec2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. If you have invested all these other assets into this why no HID lights? But all in all seems you know some good stuff. Are there 6 plants in 2 storage bins? sub'd to say the least, gl

3. Good Q bro and the answer is I was a complete newbie and simply thought the T12 Flouro's would have been enough but to my surprise that was far from the case so now I'm looking to move the 3 T12's to the Veg cab, bottom shelve, and probably get some LED's for the top on the next cycle. I'm going to keep this journal going so hopefully you're able to check em out and give some input if need be in the future. Thanks for the sub weed.

4. LEDs are not HID as far as I know.

5. #5 IndoorHinduBush, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    True but they are lower on Watt consumption and that's something I'm interested in.

[​IMG]

Illuminator Pro-Series Hybrid 350 Watt

6. I guess I was going in the way of better yield not lower watts. To each their own.

7. From what I've read you don't need the extra Lumins to veg or flower cannabis as long as they get the necessary photosynthesis for each phase I don't think it matters which in turn would come down to your growing conditions, strain, genetics, etc.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxPvN9ke2Xg"]Commercial Grow Using LED's[/ame]

[​IMG]

Illuminator Pro-Series Hybrid 350 Watt

8. Man you got a lot of things going wrong over here. From the pictures, it looked like a good start, then I kept scrolling down, and it just got worse and worse. Your using Miracle grow, flowering in some weird tub containers, flowering with CFL's, and using a carbon filter to exhaust where? You have so much ducting there I would be able to feed a small village in Africa.

LED's are only good if you know what you are doing, and use enough of them appropriately. You would be much better off sticking a 400w HID in that space, with a 6" vented hood or cool tube for your exhaust to run through. It looks like you have already spent most of the money, just need to spend a little more unfortunately. You can use all the lighting you have now for an awesome veg area, and the 400w + some of your CFL's for the flowering area.

The girls look healthy, but will take a while for you to get what you want. How many days did you veg and how many days from the 12/12 flip? Also, you seem to have a lot of space to be working with? 10'x3.8'x10'?

What nutrients do you plan on using, if any? Do you have a local hydro shop? So many questions I don't know where to start!

9. #9 IndoorHinduBush, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    [quote name='iambuterdtoast']Man you got a lot of things going wrong over here. From the pictures, it looked like a good start, then I kept scrolling down, and it just got worse and worse. Your using Miracle grow, flowering in some weird tub containers, flowering with CFL's, and using a carbon filter to exhaust where? You have so much ducting there I would be able to feed a small village in Africa.

Going to take a new vid that shows the bottom as well as a yard stick for reference.

10. Interesting set up. I would suggest in your future grows ditching the MG Soil. Seems to have worked out for you but many a failed grows with that soil. Fox Farms Ocean Soil or Pro Mix are probably the best in my opinion. You can get them from your hydro store, online at a place like htgsupply.com or amazon.

For CFLs there best positioned 2-4 inches away from your plant. Not sure if they are since its hard to tell from the picture. They actually give off little spectrum when you get past about 6 inches from them. All your plant will do is stretch to them seeking the light. You always want to control stretch to make your plant more compact. If a plant stretches it can get all lanky and skinny.

The reason why MG Soil is not recommended is it has golden orbs filled with nutes that are time released. Basically all the nutes are different thicknesses and release based on when that shell thins out from watering. Why is that bad? Well you are not in control of it so a lot can rupture at once on the roots, there not equally distributed, etc etc. When you control the nutes you take that random factor out of the grow. Sometimes nothing happens then one day you water and your plant has a heart attack from it.

You seem to have excess amounts of ducting. You lose air volume flow when you do that. Your Carbon Filter is best mounted at the top to suck up heat and the shortest possible ducting to the fan with little or no turns. Your probably losing half the power of your fan by the ducting scheme you got going on. Also remember heat rises so to suck in air at the bottom negates your cooling ability. If that carbon filter was strapped to the top it would suck in the hot air but also cause air to flow in the bottom as well.

Ditch the T12s go with T5s. T5s are high out put low wattage lamps ideally suited for growing.

Also on your height...how long did you veg. A good rule of thumb is you veg for 1 month unless of course you have the room. A plant will double triple easily when you go to flowering. What kind of lights are you using for flowering? Remember they use a different spectrum for that stage of the plant.

All that stretching between nodes is occurring most likely from your lights being all over and not close btw. Your going to have to use a lot of supports when the buds start to get big because of that most likely as well.

11. Hey Man,
    Very interesting setup and grow. Looks like you planned it well before hand.
    Hope you get the results you want! good luck, I'll definitely keep checking it out!

12. A word of advice is since you stated above you just jumped right in. Use this grow as a lesson. Read all the stickies at the top of the forums, google grow guides, and buy Cannabis Grow Bible..best book out there in my opinion.

Also a lot don't think theres a hydro store near them...they generally don't advertise much. Google map your city, then type in hydroponics. I was shocked to find like 6 in my city..I do live in a big one though.

You asked about LEDs. Do your research on them. 90% are crap cheap chinese LED fixtures. Reason...Chinese are the worlds largest supplier of LEDs for everything from Traffic Lights, to electronics. They basically throw those in a lamp and sell it as a grow lamp to make additional revenue since LEDs are assembly line produced.

There are many good ones out there. Blackstar (own one), AdvancedLED, Penetrator, Magnum 357, California Lightworks (what I use). In the case of LEDs cheaper is not better..more expensive generally is..sucks but its how it is.

Heres a good website to start your search if your interested.

LED Grow Lights Review

Also more watts the better. My LED Im using is pulling 700 watts. Don't fall into the believe that a 90watt UFO LED is equal to a 250w HPS etc. Also be aware that the actual wattage of LEDs is waaaay less then what is advertised. I have a Blackstar 240w LED and it pulls on my killawatt about 130-140 watts. 240 watts refers to the the maximum wattage not what it actually uses...kinda false advertising.

13. Dude really digging the setup though! You will be able to have a lot of extras to play with when you do upgrade. That light you have is perfect for vegging some moms and veggers or whatever.

I see how you have your ducting working now, it looks like you have perfect exchange. If you ever experience the temps getting too hot, you can shorten the lengths of those ducting runs, and give yourself a lot more pressure.

Those plants are really stunning bro. Nothing to be ashamed of growing something that healthy with what you've got. Can tell your making a strong effort. Like you said, sometimes good info is hard to come by, and a day too late. But, one thing I have learned, most of the stuff I buy is 100% reusable and can always come in handy later!

The lengthy grow time is only because of your lighting. When you are able to upgrade, you will be amazed at the difference. It isn't any imbalance or anything, you have huge huge plants growing under those lights. Those fan leaves are fucking huge! Just keep on keeping on man, and when you can afford what you can, do what you can. lol. It is a slow process, and the rest of the world won't stop and wait for us to get good at it!

PS: Don't let people be too harsh on you, and don't do what everyone tells you, but listen. Take it in, smoke a bowl, and do what you feel is right. Make sure to read through journals too, it is the best help!

14. Hey IHB. Gotta agree with mr. toast. Send all the flouresents to the veg room.
    Get a 400wt HID. Your kids look like concentration camp survivors.
    But as you said, you will be upgrading. That's good.
    As you know I am not a 'brand' head. Never bought nute's from growshop. I use whatever is cheap and learn to use it. You do the same pretty much.
    Also remember that your grow is only as good as your exhaust. Poor exhaust=poor grow.
    I'll peek in now and then. Peace

15. Thanks guys! Here's a better vid of my setup. I dig all the advice and I will be researching non stop till I'm one of the best ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2Q7t-Zg8U"]My Grow Room![/ame]

16. Ugh yucky tinfoil, get rid of that stuff and paint the walls white.

17. I was thinking of covering it all with Mylar and creating a door on the front of the table lined with it also. IDK. We'll see but thanks bro.

18. Mylar for all my friends, can't beat 98% reflectivity with the 2 mil.
    I use mylar everywhere, even my cutting bench. Oh my eyes, too bright, gotta go.

19. In your video you asked for other ways to handle tying down your plants..
    Your plants are super stretched. It's from your lights. That's is why I was saying get an HID. It will help keep your plants from stretching and you wouldn't need to tie them down, well, as much.
    Please put them into individual pots. Keeping them together will slow them down. Not to mention have them fighting each other for nutrients. Your plants would be much happier if you separate them.